Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Anybody else had trouble with the roof light blind over the bed warping during the summer? If so what has Burstner said about it?
For those not conversant with the setup, the bed when in the raised position sits very close to the roof light, in fact it only leaves about 30-35mm gap to allow air to circulate, this doesn't appear to be enough as it can get extremely hot in that area which the blind can't seem cope with.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We have fairly recently bought a 2 year old Ixeo 680G but there is no sign of the over-bed rooflight blind being warped. We always leave the blind open when the bed is raised. What is the point of having the blind closed with the bed raised?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Got the IT 734 and had the same issue, will be speaking to the dealer about it shortly it’s just over 2 yrs old and not sure what the warranty period is with Burnster.
Have you discussed it with your dealer ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
That's interesting, we have never had the blind closed when bed has been raised but the hard plastic edge warped. I was wondering if it may of been a duff batch produced as I did see another Funster had had the same problem.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
We had no problems with ours but they were changed for an “improved” version by the dealer on our 1st habitation check in August. A fellow 680 owner we meet in France has covered the majority of the over bed vent lid with sticky back plastic to reduce the heat. That’s now on my to do list for winter. It is a wonderful van, a perfect match for our needs.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Ours is was 2year old in May. I was told it doesn't normally happen but they said they where looking for a solution!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That's interesting, we have never had the blind closed when bed has been raised but the hard plastic edge warped. I was wondering if it may of been a duff batch produced as I did see another Funster had had the same problem.
Ah ok, I read your post as the blind itself warping rather than the frame.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
We had no problems with ours but they were changed for an “improved” version by the dealer on our 1st habitation check in August. A fellow 680 owner we meet in France has covered the majority of the over bed vent lid with sticky back plastic to reduce the heat. That’s now on my to do list for winter. It is a wonderful van, a perfect match for our needs.
Did they say why it was a new improved version and what was different?

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Apparently a “stronger” construction though we cannot spot any difference.

MO2HOM

Free Member
Feb 14, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 years
Unfortunately this has happened to us in our 680. It had been replaced once prior to us purchasing and has happened again. This is the reply I had from Burstner when I queried if there was going to be a recall...
Dear MR *******
there wont be a recall action for this.
Please send us the vehicle number of the vehicle you are interest in, so we can check if it is affected from these faulty roof light or if maybe it already has bee replaced
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement / Best Regards

Our dealer said Burstner are now putting warning stickers on the Hekis, which we now have. We now keep the bed lowered a bit whilst in storage and when in use in high temperatures. Also use a reflective screen covers in all three Hekis just to be on the safe side. Despite this issue, we completely agree with Mark. Our third motorhome and the best by far.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Unfortunately this has happened to us in our 680. It had been replaced once prior to us purchasing and has happened again. This is the reply I had from Burstner when I queried if there was going to be a recall...
Dear MR *******
there wont be a recall action for this.
Please send us the vehicle number of the vehicle you are interest in, so we can check if it is affected from these faulty roof light or if maybe it already has bee replaced
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement / Best Regards

Our dealer said Burstner are now putting warning stickers on the Hekis, which we now have. We now keep the bed lowered a bit whilst in storage and when in use in high temperatures. Also use a reflective screen covers in all three Hekis just to be on the safe side. Despite this issue, we completely agree with Mark. Our third motorhome and the best by far.
A warning sticker is not actually going to solve the problem though, all they are doing is trying to put the onus on the owner to avoid allowing the area to become hot.
We also drop the bed down a few inches when parked up but it is not something that can be done whilst the vehicle is on the move, we tried having the roof open slightly when driving but as it doesn't lock we found it rattled.
Do you put the reflective covers on the Hekis on the underside or over them? It sounds an idea but I don't fancy climbing on the roof to fit!

MO2HOM

Free Member
Feb 14, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 years
Totally agree with you regarding the sticker. We never had any problem with our previous motorhomes Heki roof lights. The reflective covers are on the underside of the lights. Just purchased a car windscreen sunshade and cut to fit. Not the tidiest of solutions but serves the purpose. We also keep some on the bed under the rooflight when travelling.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We bought our 680 in June 2017, the blind on the rooflight over the bed warped very quickly, and was replaced by our dealer under warranty. We have just been booked in to replace it under warranty as it has again warped. Not a very sensible design, if they wanted a rooflight it would have been better to have one fitted as standard over the cab area rather than an expensive option. That would have let in light when you want it, ie during the day when it is light outside. It would also have kept the van height down a bit, the overbed rooflight sticks up quite a lot.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
I agree with all you say, problem is the warping blind will be an ongoing problem as I see it.
Apart from that it is a great layout.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This might be a silly question, but does the warping stop the blind and/or flyscreen from being pulled across? Or does it cause it to gap? Or does it just look a bit peculiar?

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
This might be a silly question, but does the warping stop the blind and/or flyscreen from being pulled across? Or does it cause it to gap? Or does it just look a bit peculiar?
The blind can be pulled across but then due to the warping won't engage with the fly screen and slides part way back again.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Silly question, IIRC, does the manual recommend leaving the blinds partially open indirect sunlight in summer?

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Silly question, IIRC, does the manual recommend leaving the blinds partially open indirect sunlight in summer?
Not sure about the manual but the sticker on the frame (if I remember correctly, haven't looked lately ) does say not to pull across more than 2/3rds in full sun. That may help with circulation if no bed close beneath.

Mar 4, 2018
Reading
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Ours is 12 months old. So far no issues. This may be due to the info on the problem kindly given to us by another 680g owner on our first outing at Devizes. (Thanks if you’re on the forum). He had been through two. He advised us to keep the bed one stop down when not inside. This we’ve done.

I’ll contact my dealer (In the faint hope of a response) with the build number and see if it’s “Post upgrade”. I have to say the bed is a snug fit judging by the air expelled going up into the top position.

Best to all.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We only closed our rooflight blinds at night, and both have warped very quickly

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That’s all interesting reading, we just bought a new Burstner Lyseo td 736 with roof light over the electric bed. There are warning stickers on all the roof lights and in the user manual saying not to fully close the blind in sunny weather. The blind and net screens can be moved independently, they do not spring back on their own, maybe these are the modified ones?
Time will tell if they warp, but the bed does not go up fully to the roof, there is a 2-3 inch gap at the back, but none at the front.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
We only closed our rooflight blinds at night, and both have warped very quickly
I can only think that your blinds must of warped during the hot summer days, not likely at night.
If you are still under warranty I expect that they will replace for you but seems likely it will happen again, I have had one replacement (just the black out blind) and that has started to warp again.

Jim D

Free Member
Dec 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
burstner it680
Exp
since 2006
Ours is 12 months old. So far no issues. This may be due to the info on the problem kindly given to us by another 680g owner on our first outing at Devizes. (Thanks if you’re on the forum). He had been through two. He advised us to keep the bed one stop down when not inside. This we’ve done.

I’ll contact my dealer (In the faint hope of a response) with the build number and see if it’s “Post upgrade”. I have to say the bed is a snug fit judging by the air expelled going up into the top position.

Best to all.
I purchased my IT 680 new in June 2017. First time away, in France, the whole heki frame and blind slides buckled. Replaced under warranty. I have kept the blind open and the bed lowered ever since, even whilst travelling which is a bit of a pain, but the problem has recurred. Dealer replacing it again as I write. He tells me there is a modification which Burstner has introduced for 2019 and will be retrofitting that on to my vehicle. All good so far. However he tells me that the 'pod' roof has bubbled and rippled with the fibreglass and gel coat somehow becoming detached from each other!!! A far greater problem as the pod will need to be replaced. I would suggest that you check your vehicles for this fault which I only noticed during the hot weather during the summer.

Brian Karen

Free Member
Dec 26, 2018
Bridport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bought my ixeo 680g new in June 2017, at the first habitation check in June 2018 they did not notice the warped heki roof light blind, I pointed this out to the dealers (CHxxxxxxs) and they ordered and fit a new blind. I asked what happens the next time it warps which might be after the 2 year guarantee is up, they said contact Burstners as it would be out of there hands. Nice to hear on the forum that the 2019 models have a modified roof light, can I have one please !!
But it is a brilliant motorhome and suits our needs perfectly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back