It’s hard work this uk holiday lark. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I feel pessimistic too reading of plans to travel from the NW with the highest R number down to the SW with the second highest R number!!! EEEEK!!!!!!
As long as you do not stay in care homes it should be ok. Figures being added from them make it look worse.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
i’ve booked a few days away at Burrs beginning of July, tried to book a few sites up to Sept without success in the UK, then we tunnel over to Spain for the winter. (hopefully)

The issue I have is with the big clubs allowing people to book a year in advance (now 18 months), stopping us up and go guys from booking anything, then the others cancelling at short notice if it’s raining.

Does anyone else experience this?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This is my view and mine alone - but there are a few indicators, such as the UK Gov and Wales Gov 'reluctance' to share any plans to lift restrictions on domestic holidays. Some of the big 'parks' are talking up the idea that they will be open on 4th July or mid-July - but they have to do that, many are hanging on by a thread. But think about it - a shift from almost no travel - and certainly no overnight stays, to a sudden return to 'business as usual'. 'We' believe that because we have motorhomes, caravans or 'a static caravan on the Gower', we will some how be allowed to start using them because we are 'self contained' and pose no threat of infection. But campsites/CLs/CSs will all be treated the same, whether camping under canvas and using shared facilities, or staying locked up in your MH on a tiny CS in west Wales. And what do we do when we get to our destination? We want to explore, shop, go to the pub, have a meal out, use the public loo. Many of these essentials will not be open. Living in lockdown for three or four months, the country is going to go completely wild for a holiday. Popular destinations (National Parks, coasts etc.) will be overwhelmed and the spikes in infection will appear. Think about social distancing in Keswick, Padstow, Tenby, Skegness. You can't move in the peak summer holidays. I think Gov and its medical/scientific advisors have thought this through and forsee an uncontrollable escalation in infection if restrictions are lifted. Team GB may need to forgo its 2020 holiday. I hope I'm wrong. We're keeping our place ready and pristine just in case (and we are in the middle of nowhere with 52 acres and 15 pitches) but we are not hopeful.

I've noticed that on the daily briefing, they will not be drawn at all on staycations. They are waiting until it's looking better before deciding anything.

I know we're all feeling it but what can you do? We're just counting the days until we can get going again. I for one, want to get going when it's much safer. We had a site booked for early July but cancelled it ourselves, as we didn't want to risk anything. And as has been said, what's the point of going somewhere if everything is shut?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
i’ve booked a few days away at Burrs beginning of July, tried to book a few sites up to Sept without success in the UK, then we tunnel over to Spain for the winter. (hopefully)

The issue I have is with the big clubs allowing people to book a year in advance (now 18 months), stopping us up and go guys from booking anything, then the others cancelling at short notice if it’s raining.

We usually don't book until the last moment and generally get in then even to the very booked up sites like Keswick and Bristol.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just to add to this. We generally phone the site directly not the club booking office because they can move pitches around to get you in.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Just to add to this. We generally phone the site directly not the club booking office because they can move pitches around to get you in.
We have rang sites in the past to get in but this is more to do with the fact we are 8.9m and cut off for size on some is 8.5.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now

You will be pleased to know that bury market is opening it’s a good spot for food shopping. Not just a great black pudding but other stuff as well.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I feel pessimistic too reading of plans to travel from the NW with the highest R number down to the SW with the second highest R number!!! EEEEK!!!!!!
Luckily we are in the middle of the countryside without a lot of crowds around us so hopefully we won’t be a risk to others. The mindless idiots that congregate in large groups in the city’s is very worrying.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You might even get back to scotland

Unfortunately I think this year its gonna be swamped with people who can't get abroad

Or those that can't get abroad will use the spaces not taken by those from abroad not coming here.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I had an email from the campsite we were supposed to be helping with this summer in Derbyshire yesterday.
They have quite a few ‘seasonal’ caravans on site and as soon as they can they are going to open for them (the vans are there all year and the owners use them as & when) they also have a touring field with loos & showers which they are not going to open, so no tourers and the seasonals will have to use their own facilities.
I wonder how many other sites will do that. Not that it bothers us motorhomers with our own loo/shower!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
S
I had an email from the campsite we were supposed to be helping with this summer in Derbyshire yesterday.
They have quite a few ‘seasonal’ caravans on site and as soon as they can they are going to open for them (the vans are there all year and the owners use them as & when) they also have a touring field with loos & showers which they are not going to open, so no tourers and the seasonals will have to use their own facilities.
I wonder how many other sites will do that. Not that it bothers us motorhomers with our own loo/shower!
Sorry, do you mean they’re not opening the touring field at all this season or just the facilities that serve those staying in the field?

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
100% agree.

Each to their own - I'm not going to criticise those who prefer to use their vans in the UK. I would hope therefore that my preference to tour abroad as soon as it's possible isn't criticised.
We have travelled extensively in both UK and abroad with a caravan. Now we are motorhomers we are really looking forward more to Europe for holidays and UK for visiting far off families, MHF Rallies and weekends.

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Speaking as a campsite/glampsite owner, this is looking increasingly doubtful.
I've read that sites are taking bookings from July 4th? I mean, I was surprised, since it even referred to camping, but what about the toilets?! And they reckon holiday cottages are going to open, that;s not even staying in your own space, like motorhoming or caravanning. You do not know what to believe, so we are making no plans.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Having booked all my sites, I've been cancelling some, where deposits have been paid and in some places in full I have transferred to next year. I have booked Jasmin Camping for a week but think temporary holiday sites will do for August.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back