IS this a mouse (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We stopped the bird feeder because it was attracting them. We had some around the back of the house and I reduced the numbers by one with the air rifle and we haven't seen one since. I'm pretty sure it's a waste of time trying to control the numbers though there are probably just as many they just hide better!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
River on one side railway line on other woods all around. Yep there's rats

I leave them alone unlit they start sunbathing in the middle of the garden. Helping themselves to the bird food

Or my neighbour who is terrified sees one.

I then do a looking at the usual hide holes and leave them a tasty treat . However I make sure that ant other wildlife can't get to it

Not had a visit for a while I'm sure the next generation is due shortly.

I always leave treats for them in the garage a battle I can win as for the war I'm way outnumbered

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We had a rat catcher from the local council who was terrified of rats. He claimed that he was often attacked by them when they were cornered. Had to come back a few times to eliminate them, they were nesting in the manure bin. The neighbours garden over the stone wall was very neglected due to his state of health, and the council wanted to clear the garden and charge the neighbour, which we were reluctant to do. As an interim he suggested we put a netting under the bin, which did work. That and his industrial poison.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Quick way to tell the difference is that mice have thin tails, rats are thicker

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
This little fella was by the River in Spain last month, but isn’t a rat apparently,
IMG_5935.jpeg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Coypu, probably escaped, or been freed by well meaning numpties from a captive breeding for fur farm.
Mike.

OP
OP
bilM
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Took my bird feeders down told my neighbour about the rats and he has taken down his feeers now we are of to set some traps. The thing is I have been feeding birds for the last 20 years at this house and i have only ever seen a mouse. Rats about your house is not good.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Rats are omnivorous, they will eat either a pile of dung or a fresh cooked Sunday dinner.

That’s why they are so successful, they can go up a drain pipe, along a washing line, very intelligent animals.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Shawn Woods on YouTube tests loads of different traps, his channel is called Mousetrap Mondays, the gang plank type is pretty successful, watch this video until the end for tips on catching rats as they can be smart and cautious.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A coypu in French is un ragondin and apparently 'make excellent pate' according to the French motorhomer we conversed with about them on a riverbank aire a few years ago. We thought we wouldn't be tempted to try eating it, thanks.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back