Is there a good write up about Morocco MH Travel? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi Folks

What with being a third country and all - and having a place in southern Spain - our thoughts have turned to Morocco for the winter keeping the 90 days for Spain / travelling down and back from UK!

I read a short ebook by Julian and Jason Buckley from 2017 which has wetted my appetite for more knowledge about making the trip. Is there any 'Funster' Morocco specific writeups - especially on getting there, taking a dog and/or first-timers experiences?

Reading and planning is at least half the fun! :cool:

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Folks

What with being a third country and all - and having a place in southern Spain - our thoughts have turned to Morocco for the winter keeping the 90 days for Spain / travelling down and back from UK!

I read a short ebook by Julian and Jason Buckley from 2017 which has wetted my appetite for more knowledge about making the trip. Is there any 'Funster' Morocco specific writeups - especially on getting there, taking a dog and/or first-timers experiences?

Reading and planning is at least half the fun! :cool:
If you click on the Search button and type in Morocco, click on the black Search button and you will find there is a lot of information with people who have been and those on planning to go.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
If you click on the Search button and type in Morocco, click on the black Search button and you will find there is a lot of information with people who have been and those on planning to go.
Hi Ian - yes there are LOTS of posts about Morocco, that's what prompted me today, I was hoping for a good write-up (or maybe a book recommendation).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
There is also a book by Jay and Jules of ourtour.co.uk called "A monkey ate my breakfast" that recounts their adventures in Morocco, I think the kindle version is free, or at least it was when I got it.

Amazon product ASIN 1481819704

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
There is also a book by Jay and Jules of ourtour.co.uk called "A monkey ate my breakfast" that recounts their adventures in Morocco, I think the kindle version is free, or at least it was when I got it.

Amazon product ASIN 1481819704
Yes ChrisL AFAIA that is the 2012 version of the one they updated (second edition) for 2017 I mentioned above, its very basic and not much 'flavour' to it. Thanks for the note though. Some of our fellow Funsters have done some excellent write-ups on other parts of the world (Croatia, Italy etc) and I was hoping to find something similar for Morocco.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Andy of Andy n Denise on here wrote this book, good factual info that anyone that has been will recognise.
Screenshot_20210315_144444_com.amazon.kindle.jpg

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
OK - now I'm reporting you to Jim for your posts... (Please don't answer questions with things like...) :LOL::LOL:
My reason for saying it is that I have no idea what is available and Google often comes up with the goods but I have no interest in visiting Morocco personally with the van

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
My reason for saying it is that I have no idea what is available and Google often comes up with the goods but I have no interest in visiting Morocco personally with the van
My post wasn’t targeted directly at you Ian, so I suppose those would be excellent reasons to not waste your time responding to a thread that you cant add value to! I understand the temptation, I’ve done it myself. But honestly, I do know where the search button is as well as how to use Google. (y)

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My post wasn’t targeted directly at you Ian, so I suppose those would be excellent reasons to not waste your time responding to a thread that you cant add value to! I understand the temptation, I’ve done it myself. But honestly, I do know where the search button is as well as how to use Google. (y)
I have been looking at Morocco out of interest. We have lived in sub Saharan Africa twice in our lives, roughly three year each, 2003 to 2006 in Ghana well away from the capital Accra so used to the poverty of such places. Unless you are prepared for it the poverty is shocking but not to us as we experienced it in Zambia when we were in our late 20’s to early 30’s. You have to be prepared to modify your dress and behaviour to fit the local customs, something I felt that tourists in Cape Coast in Ghana where we lived was not observed. Young ladies in very short shorts is shocking to most Africans of any culture other than European as is them going into bars alone. They will be thought of as prostitutes! Begging is normal but we always assessed the beggar on the basis of is the beggar fit enough to work, do they have a child with them who should be in school, etc. Those who were fit to work we ignored, just look away even they re persistent. Those with children were using them as a “come on” so again we ignored them. Many who are crippled in any way we would help, if they were carrying a child then we would give pens, exercise books, food but NOT money which we only gave to a lone crippled adult. Be prepared for being ripped off at first so find out what the locals pay for a taxi (often shared), what they paid for food at wayside stalls but try to find a supermarket which actually has priced goods. Do not expect breakdown recovery, you are on you own but often if you do break down the empty bush is suddenly full of people offering to help and many time we had to stand back and let them get on with it. Offer them something, including a Fanta or Coke plus some money but only to those who actually did the work, the bystanders often want a share so just hand over what you think and be on your way, let them sort it out! I could go on for ages but such places are wonderful if you keep your eyes and ears open and your wits about you. Photography can be an issue as some believe that you are stealing their soul so if you wish to take picture you will need to ask and if they demand money, forget it but try to be discreet. Don't flash money about as there are many pickpockets and also be scrupulous about security. The Police, by the way are often no better so ensure there are no broken lights, etc as they will jump at the attempt to extract a “fine” straight away. If they stop you and take your licence, demand that you go to the Police station, do not accept any other excuse/reason and refuse to budge and don’t get out unless you lock up the vehicle securely.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I wrote an article couple of years ago which is in the Resources section (dark blue line above). It's basically a practical guide rather than an account of our experiences, based on half a dozen visits and is still relevant - well apart from Covid of course.

There have been dedicated threads over the last 6/7 years which are all worth perusing. No doubt there will be a new one come October-ish where like-minded folk will indicate their intentions. We're definitely planning to go in the New Year, subject of course to again Covid. Happy to have newbies along for the ride!

Just a comment and no disrespect to Ian above but things have moved on very rapidly over the last couple of years as the King has thrown a lot of money at tourism, which is Morocco's second highest foreign currency earner. Yes, poverty is rife and, as in any country, you do need to keep your wits about you. That said, we have never encountered any kind of hostility, more the exact opposite. The Berbers, who are the majority Arabs in Morocco, are a hospitable nation who think nothing of going out of their way to help a stranger. But of course you always get the rogues and Arabs never miss an opportunity!

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I wrote an article couple of years ago which is in the Resources section (dark blue line above). It's basically a practical guide rather than an account of our experiences, based on half a dozen visits and is still relevant - well apart from Covid of course.

There have been dedicated threads over the last 6/7 years which are all worth perusing. No doubt there will be a new one come October-ish where like-minded folk will indicate their intentions. We're definitely planning to go in the New Year, subject of course to again Covid. Happy to have newbies along for the ride!

Just a comment and no disrespect to Ian above but things have moved on very rapidly over the last couple of years as the King has thrown a lot of money at tourism, which is Morocco's second highest foreign currency earner. Yes, poverty is rife and, as in any country, you do need to keep your wits about you. That said, we have never encountered any kind of hostility, more the exact opposite. The Berbers, who are the majority Arabs in Morocco, are a hospitable nation who think nothing of going out of their way to help a stranger. But of course you always get the rogues and Arabs never miss an opportunity!
Can I make it plain that we personally have never had hostility except I a work situation where a male Muslim Ghanaian did not like having my wife as the headteacher. I appreciate that just like anywhere else people vary, but you do have to be aware of cultural norms in the place where you are. Also, I appreciate that countries change as do the people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back