Is my small car suitable to tow with Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 736G
Hi there. We have a 2020 Autotrail Imala 736G with the 140 bhp engine, with a towing limit of 1250kg according to the plate. We also have a Citroen DS3 CONNECTED CHIC PURETECH S/S 110, with a Vehicle weight according to Parkers of 1070kg.

So far so good, and within the law, but how can I establish whether it’s a suitable match in terms of the Imala’s capability of towing it, so that I won’t unduly strain the engine, or struggle up hills etc? The A-frame fitter I’ve spoken to won’t give any advice on this

Thanks in anticipation

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd be more concerned about the strain on the front suspension and steering of the car. A trailer might be a safer option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You don’t need to worry about the engine. You can always change down a gear if required.

Ian

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Welcome!

I would get a small trailer as well. You can use that all over Europe with no issues, reverse if you need to and it won’t affect the car in any way. You can also just change the car very easily.

Only disadvantage is that you have to store the trailer somewhere.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I'd be more concerned about the strain on the front suspension and steering of the car. A trailer might be a safer option.

A car weighing 1070kg plus a trailer weighing at least 350kg (probably more) equals 1420kg which exceeds the 1250kg towing limit of the motorhome. I have been towing my VW Up on an A frame for several years and have had no problems with front suspension or steering.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A car weighing 1070kg plus a trailer weighing at least 350kg (probably more) equals 1420kg which exceeds the 1250kg towing limit of the motorhome. I have been towing my VW Up on an A frame for several years and have had no problems with front suspension or steering.
Ah, hadn’t spotted that.

A frame is the only option then.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I know a toad works well but at first glance the car seemed heavier than most toads. However you are right it's no heavier than most others. I am in favour of a trailer - maybe because I have to reverse into a road end to turn back to the correct direction on most trips. That's maybe just me though 😊.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I know a toad works well but at first glance the car seemed heavier than most toads. However you are right it's no heavier than most others. I am in favour of a trailer - maybe because I have to reverse into a road end to turn back to the correct direction on most trips. That's maybe just me though 😊.
Reversing is the Achilles Heel of an A-frame and trailers are more widely accepted.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
we have a Fiat 500 ‘A’ frame on a fiat ducato 150 bhp, (4.25 t GVW, 6 t GTW) 7.3 metre MOHO and hardly notice it is on the rear when towing, other than verrrry steep hills, but even those it gets up slowly without a problem. You should be fine with the set-up you suggest. you could always try towing it on a tow rope up a hill for peace of mind if you wanted to feel the weight before converting?

Ref reversing - yes this is not easy with an A frame, virtually impossible in fact! But, with experience you will easily find places to do a ‘U’ turn (as I do on many trips when we go down the wrong road) and at worst you can de-couple and turn around separately (leaving the A frame kit attached to the car - just raise the hook-up section on ours) this takes about a minute to do.

If you want to travel abroad then a trailer is the best option as most of europe do not allow A framing - we do it a lot in France but I suspect the police just turn a blind eye - so far!

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Reversing is the Achilles Heel of an A-frame and trailers are more widely accepted.
It's also why I've never understood the acceptance of an A frame as a trailer in the UK: a trailer must be capable of a reverse manoeuvre without the driver leaving his seat.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's also why I've never understood the acceptance of an A frame as a trailer in the UK: a trailer must be capable of a reverse manoeuvre without the driver leaving his seat.
I like the German comment. It can’t be a trailer with an engine.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
we have a Fiat 500 ‘A’ frame on a fiat ducato 150 bhp, (4.25 t GVW, 6 t GTW) 7.3 metre MOHO and hardly notice it is on the rear when towing, other than verrrry steep hills, but even those it gets up slowly without a problem. You should be fine with the set-up you suggest. you could always try towing it on a tow rope up a hill for peace of mind if you wanted to feel the weight before converting?

Ref reversing - yes this is not easy with an A frame, virtually impossible in fact! But, with experience you will easily find places to do a ‘U’ turn (as I do on many trips when we go down the wrong road) and at worst you can de-couple and turn around separately (leaving the A frame kit attached to the car - just raise the hook-up section on ours) this takes about a minute to do.

If you want to travel abroad then a trailer is the best option as most of europe do not allow A framing - we do it a lot in France but I suspect the police just turn a blind eye - so far!
in the UK an A Frame is no brainer. In Europe a potential issue from a legal aspect, some have been fined particularly coming out of a toll area. Also a possibility that you may have to drive in tandem the car and the motorhome. We have a leetr from the Italian Emabsy saying we will be stopped and fined.
Unless you are going to migrate for the winter in say Spain I would personally not recommend a trailer as they are really heavy to negotiate on a pitch manually plus they take most of the pitch. Haven't done it ourselves but seen many a time the frustrated trailer/motorhome combinations trying to settle. Again our experience towing with an A frame you hardly knew it was on the back, make sure you have the auto braking system(whatever that is called - inertia?) and you are better to have an A frame without a jockey wheel - some prefer it to align the hooking up (quite easy) but the additional weight is significant when all you really need when not in use is to put it easily in the boot on the tow car.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back