Iran (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We are looking at the possibility of a trip to Iran in the next couple of years. Our Son's girlfriend is from Shiraz originally and the idea of going there overland does appeal.

At this stage I haven't looked at the practicalities and I was simpy wondering if anyone has tried this (or part of) trip.

Google maps suggests France, Belgium, Gemany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran. A lot of that route is easily doable but have no idea how getting a motorhome through Serbia and onwards would work.

Any thoughts welcome.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That’s a heck of a trip (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
in a past life did some working in Bulgaria and Eastern Turkey. The trucks we used to send to UK and back mostly travelled Bulgaria through Romania and Hungary into Austria and onto the channel. Its a longer route but i believe its easier on the border crossings etc.

Erzurum is an interesting place on route in Turkey as is a stop at

Doğubeyazıt​

mount Arata , not religious but great trip up part of the mountain and close to Iran border.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
You might find it difficult having an English passport, I believe there are still restrictions for both UK & USA passport holders, shame as it really sounds like a great country to explore.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
About 5 years ago I spoke to a German In Morocco who told me about travels into the middle east in a MH, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Israel etc, But times have since changed, Syria in particular. I've met several Iranians and I'm firmly under the impression that Iran is a cultured and interesting country but tbh I would have concerns about the leadership. Top gear went to the area in 2010 but AFAIK were not allowed in to Iran ( I don't think it was solely because the islamic council didnt like Clarkson)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I looked at this a few years ago and it was a non-starter because of the cost of the deposit you have to put down. If you are driving an old banger it isn't expensive but if your MH is worth tens of £K then the deposit us going to be tens of £K too. From memory this is for the carnet de passage or it might have been for a triptyche - memory fails which it was or even something else. There are companies who will fund this for you with a sort of loan but their commission wasn't cheap either. When you leave Iran you have to get the deposit paid back to you at the border post. Good luck with that, it could take days and there are bound to be palms to grease to get anything to move. :)
A pity really as it is an amazing country with very friendly people - ignoring those in power of course. :)

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I looked at this a few years ago and it was a non-starter because of the cost of the deposit you have to put down. If you are driving an old banger it isn't expensive but if your MH is worth tens of £K then the deposit us going to be tens of £K too. From memory this is for the carnet de passage or it might have been for a triptyche - memory fails which it was or even something else. There are companies who will fund this for you with a sort of loan but their commission wasn't cheap either. When you leave Iran you have to get the deposit paid back to you at the border post. Good luck with that, it could take days and there are bound to be palms to grease to get anything to move. :)
A pity really as it is an amazing country with very friendly people - ignoring those in power of course. :)
Just looked this up as had never heard of it! Saw a post on trip advisor from last year that mentions 5 x the value of a bike! That would definitely be a bit of a problem. Our van is worth something north of £20k probably so if it was the same for the van then it is obviously out of the question :(

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You may want to skip Serbia and from Hungary go via Romania, then Bulgaria and into Turkey. I would dare as far down to Antalia, but from there you will need a carnet. A group of 2-3 motor homes may be more appealing.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Turkey is a huge country and not completely unknown as a mh destination. IMO that would be a good destination although you would have to pick your time unless you are Ok with extreme temperatures still a bit cold in mid winter and flipping hot in the summer.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Eastern Turkey is more than a bit cold in the depths of winter it is as cold as Northern Norway in the mountains of the east.
In the summer it can be easily 40'c.

Beautiful area but extremes of everything......
I was lucky I had a local liason officer assigned to me, the same guy each time I was there. He showed me the ropes, kept me safe and I ensured he was looked after.
In that part of Turkey people's perception of you and thier respect are key. characteristics.
I doubt that has changed much over the years.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Eastern Turkey is more than a bit cold in the depths of winter it is as cold as Northern Norway in the mountains of the east.
In the summer it can be easily 40'c.

Beautiful area but extremes of everything......
I was lucky I had a local liason officer assigned to me, the same guy each time I was there. He showed me the ropes, kept me safe and I ensured he was looked after.
In that part of Turkey people's perception of you and thier respect are key. characteristics.
I doubt that has changed much over the years.
Have you been to Morocco? I'm just wondering how it compares? Although I would imagine most tourists would probably stick to the Western/Southern sides

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There is a wonderful short series on I-Player called Art of Persia which shows how stunning the country is and how friendly and welcoming the people are, even if the government isn’t.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Currently not possible with a UK passport, unless in an organised group with an official liaison officer. Also carnet de passage. I have visited many times, using another passport, on a motorbike and it is one of the most fascinating places. People are incredible and embarrassingly hospitable. Similar to Turkey in variety of landscapes. Good winter skiing. Be prepared to boil in summer. Great cultural sights and cuisine. UK visas unlikely until the government repays the £400 million it owes from 1979, and a failed tank contract.
Shame.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We did a trip to Turkey with the van in 2012, great country for touring with a motorhome and amazingly friendly natives, off grid camping was a lot easier than most other European countries as motorhomes were not as widespread then, no problem finding places to empty your loo and water taps/fountains and public toilet blocks all over the place and just asking if it was Ok to overnight was always met with a friendly thumbs up.
Its even easier to visit now as there is no visa required but I imagine it will get a lot more popular this year as a haven for some due to the dreaded 90/180 EU rule.

Pete

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I suggest a little bit of caution regarding eastern Turkey. I was there 20 years ago and it was ‘bandit’ country and definitely not safe for tourists. It may now be safer but ethnic groups in that area have been quarrelling for thousands of years! I would strongly advise any travellers to those parts to get the very latest travel advice from the UK government and any other sources and update it on route. Also things such as local permits, phone services, fuel and breakdown availability need serious assessmeant.
However it is a stunning area to visit and I would love to go back, security permitting. A trip down the Aras river valley from Turkey to Iran would be extraordinary but almost certainly not feasible at the moment in UK registered Motorhome due to political and security issues.

Gromitandvan

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Mclouis Fusion 367
Exp
We are looking at the possibility of a trip to Iran in the next couple of years. Our Son's girlfriend is from Shiraz originally and the idea of going there overland does appeal.

At this stage I haven't looked at the practicalities and I was simpy wondering if anyone has tried this (or part of) trip.

Google maps suggests France, Belgium, Gemany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran. A lot of that route is easily doable but have no idea how getting a motorhome through Serbia and onwards would work.

Any thoughts welcome.
Up to going through Turkey is straightforward. But the closer you get to the border with Iran is potentially uncertain. Ask at the Iranian and Turkish embassy’s in London.

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a brilliant opportunity. We're also looking at a similar trip over the next year or so and looking to go beyond Iran. These guys are currently on a bit of a world tour (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-4oG9m_uiiFiBU3hsyl2uQ), and whilst it's not exactly the same as perhaps driving around in a motorhome, it will be interesting to see which route they'll take next. Most definitely worth watching them and perhaps getting in touch with any questions; they seem to be a lovely couple. Be sure to share your trip if you do go! :giggle:

Last edited:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tourist visa for Iran on a UK passport is limited and only available via the Iranian Embassy by personal application. Then limited to guided tours. Remember no credit or Debit cards work in Iran due to sanctions by UK and USA transactions via Turkey are possible. Very safe country traffic is intense the people open and welcoming. Persepolis is definitely worth a visit.

Hit your friends up at DARIC PAY for debit card transactions and withdrawals at ATM machines. Organise for them to meet you upon arrival to avoid carrying large sums of cash around. Be wary of daily price changes due to wild fluctuations in inflation.
Written out of personal experience not perceived experience or hearsay.
Preparation is required.
DaricPay contact Arya on WhatsApp +989032742012

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I knew a truck driver that used to do that route meany years ago. He said the scenery is spectacular but crossing the borders was a nightmare. I can’t remember wear but on one trip his truck was impounded. His documents were correct going into one country but coming back they had changed the required documents. He was offered a choice of pay a huge fine or leave the truck and fly home until his boss could untangle the mess.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have a trip to the Overland Show this weekend at Stratford Racecourse this weekend; there will be someone there with direct experience.

My research previously suggested that it is difficult for British passport holders now

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It sounds like there is trouble in Iran right now, a lot of unexplained explosions around key facilities

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Have you checked with your insurance.......van and travel policies? I guess you already have but there could be problems with,for example,repatriation.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m reading Mark Beaumont’s The Man who Cycled the World at the moment. He did France Belgium Netherlands Germany Poland Bulgaria Rumania Ukraine Turkey on his first leg then into Iran … nothing I have read about Iran yet appeals (friendliness, govt attitude yo tourists, landscape) but I’m still on that section so it may improve.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back