Inverter fitter needed - Hampshire (1 Viewer)

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I want to get a larger inverter installed in my motorhome, mine won't run my computer, it will charge it but not run it when not charged, Also want to run a mini slow cooker and perhaps in the future a Tv/DVD player, hairdryer etc but after reading the forum about inverters, I'm afraid, I'm not able to make head or tail of it. So can somebody recommend someone reliable to a) advise me after taking a look at my setup b) install.
Thank you from someone feeling rather inadequate

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well I can't help with a fitter but hopefully I can help clear some of your confusion, you say you want a larger inverter to run your computer so I guess the one you currently have is really quite small and possibly just plugged into a cigarette lighter socket, the one you are talking about that will run a slow cooker and hair dryer will be a much bigger beast and yes it will need to be fitted properly.

OK inverter's are great pieces of kit if you want 240 volts while you are sat in the middle of a field but you have to remember that they are quite power hungry from your batteries so you need to look at what you have and work out if its enough to do what you want (I say work out but really all you need to do is tell us what batteries you have and we will guide you hopefully), your next problem after taking the power out of the batteries is you have to put it back in somehow and if you are parked up for a couple of days that is really going to come down to solar panels, so how many of them do you have?

Hopefully this is helping rather than just confusing you even more.

Martin

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Depends what you use your computer for but if it's just browsing and checking emails etc then you may be better with an Android or IPad. Both will run for hours off their batteries and only need a USB Socket to charge them up. An alternative is Maplins and get yourself a power lead to run the computer off 12v. All the inverter will do is convert 12v to 240v so your computer can drop it down again to 12 - 18v. An inverter that will run a hairdryer will destroy a 120A Leisure battery in about 30 minutes. You then have to work out how you are going to get the power back in again. If you want TV / DVD Player then buy 12v TV. A slow cooker on an inverter .. Hmmmmm .. The inverter will probably use more power than the slow cooker. You really have to start thinking 12v everything unless you are going to start adding lots of solar panels and extra batteries to cope with the drain. An inverter will use power just leaving it plugged in. They are very efficient at near maximum capacity. They are not very efficient just supplying a few watts. Next problem is type of inverter. Sine wave is the only way to go if you are powering laptops and electric toothbrushes otherwise you will fry the electronics. I still have the base of SWMBO's tooth brush somewhere. Sine wave inverters are the expensive ones. 2000w about £250 from Amazon

We happily manage 3 weeks away without a campsite. Two adults IPads, Kindles, Electric Tooth Brushes charged via a 300w sine wave inverter, TV in the evening with DVD player combined, Lighting etc. 150w Solar Panel 160Ah leisure battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I assume that your computer is a laptop of some sort, not a desktop! In that case you really do not need to use an inverter. Laptops run on 12V to 21 DC depending upon model. That is why they all now come with a "brick" transformer that transforms 240v AC to the correct low voltage DC.

Why invert 12v DC to 240 AC then transform it back down to low voltage DC again? It makes no sense. Instead buy a 12v adaptor that is made especially for your laptop with the correct voltage and tip for it. Just search Amazon using 12V adaptor + the name and model of your laptop. I have done it for my last 3 laptops and never had any problems running them and charging their batteries at the same time.

We do have a 2000W inverter (not pure sine wave) but the only thing we use it for is my wife's hairdryer. All other "energy" is provided by 12V or gas unless we are on EHU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back