Insurance on other vehicles (1 Viewer)

Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sure this must have come up before but I can't find anything on it. I'm looking at prices for the renewal of our car insurance and we now only have the one car plus an Ace Capri motorhome. The question is asked along the lines of: Do you have access to another vehicle or are you insured to drive any other vehicles? But if I say yes, the only options are another car, company car or a van so I have been saying no but that's not strictly accurate. What do others in the same position put? Do you count a motorhome as a van?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The answer is YES you have another vehicle, a van in the case of car insurance. The insurance company predict risk based on multiple factors and lying on the quotation and application is insurance fraud. If this is detected, your insurance is likely to be invalidated. All uk insurance policies are registered on the MID database and the companies have access to check your answers and insurance history

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Harrietliberty
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The answer is YES you have another vehicle, a van in the case of car insurance. The insurance company predict risk based on multiple factors and lying on the quotation and application is insurance fraud. If this is detected, your insurance is likely to be invalidated. All uk insurance policies are registered on the MID database and the companies have access to check your answers and insurance history
Thanks - I think this is the first time it has arisen as we used to have two cars. I just wasn't sure if a motorhome could be described a a van. I suspect it will bring the insurance down (hopefully). I do try to be careful, for example although the car has always been in my name, since we sold my husband's car he usually drives when we go out so he is now shown as the main driver. I'm doing preliminary research now and will run all the quotes again 21 days before the new policy needs to start as Martin Lewis says that's the date that gives the cheapest quote

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks - I think this is the first time it has arisen as we used to have two cars. I just wasn't sure if a motorhome could be described a a van. I suspect it will bring the insurance down (hopefully). I do try to be careful, for example although the car has always been in my name, since we sold my husband's car he usually drives when we go out so he is now shown as the main driver. I'm doing preliminary research now and will run all the quotes again 21 days before the new policy needs to start as Martin Lewis says that's the date that gives the cheapest quote
Martin says 23 days for car insurance and 21 days for home insurance.

As for why asking if you have another car, it could be that if you have you are less likely to need a hire/loan car if your car is in an accident.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Harrietliberty
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Martin says 23 days for car insurance and 21 days for home insurance.

As for why asking if you have another car, it could be that if you have you are less likely to need a hire/loan car if your car is in an accident.
Thanks - you're right - 23 days. I've got the dates to rerun everything for the car and home because we currently have a multicover policy. For the first time, I'm actually having to ask for policies which give a courtesy car because we don't really want to use the motorhome for day to day driving, even in the short term

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back