Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Yes it’s quite a fine mesh. As long as you remember to close it each time you go in or out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JaG
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our previous motorhome did not have a flyscreen so we bought one of those things that hang down fluffy cord things for about ÂŁ20. It worked and it was easy to walk through.

Our existing motorhome has a sliding mesh flyscreen fitted but I think I liked the cheap fluffy cords better. Having to slide it open and then remember to slide it back every time we step out of or in to the motorhome is becoming a pain in my old age. And we have to make sure the motorhome door is fixed back because if it slams it knocks the flyscreen off its tracks

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
When I fitted mine I made sure that there was enough room for the door (with the fitted bin) to close without impeding the mesh screen. I don’t consider it a PITA to open and close it each time. 73 years old by the way lol

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
That's fabulous. Thanks for the photos.
I am picking it up next week as we are away to Blackpool tomorrow until Monday. I will start putting it in later in the week and stay in touch each step of the way and see how we go on.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Our previous motorhome did not have a flyscreen so we bought one of those things that hang down fluffy cord things for about ÂŁ20. It worked and it was easy to walk through.

Our existing motorhome has a sliding mesh flyscreen fitted but I think I liked the cheap fluffy cords better. Having to slide it open and then remember to slide it back every time we step out of or in to the motorhome is becoming a pain in my old age. And we have to make sure the motorhome door is fixed back because if it slams it knocks the flyscreen off its tracks
We tried the fluffy cord. Kept blowing all over the place and jamming in door when shutting so only lasted a few days. SWMBO is paranoid about flies in the MH so have to do something positive but do agree, having to remember to shut it all the time at our age is a task in itself. :rofl::rofl:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
When I fitted mine I made sure that there was enough room for the door (with the fitted bin) to close without impeding the mesh screen. I don’t consider it a PITA to open and close it each time. 73 years old by the way lol
That is what I shall be doing too so it takes away the possibility of forgetting. Also means when wife is in and arrive back from wherever i won't get...Quickly, come in and close the door/screen, lol.

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Just a couple I took a little while ago

Attachments

• B066248A-7C0E-4B20-B9BF-F63CD66DF000.jpeg
    B066248A-7C0E-4B20-B9BF-F63CD66DF000.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 21
  • 5117FDF0-4260-4B1A-B84A-9F5FEBD49047.jpeg
    5117FDF0-4260-4B1A-B84A-9F5FEBD49047.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 21
  • E17F79BD-13C1-48B6-BB47-FD66471AE9BF.jpeg
    E17F79BD-13C1-48B6-BB47-FD66471AE9BF.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
J

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
The dowel is the remote step button lol

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks. I like the dowel idea for the step button.
I have got brackets the same as that in the shed.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
OK, here we go then...update to the job in hand.
You were certainly right about the owner from PJ Leisure not wanting to let you near his premises. He scored a hat trick when I went there on Tuesday. I pulled in off the road, went around the back, parked up, got out of my car to go round the corner and....he was walking towards me with the door frame in his hand. How the hell did he know I was even there? It was less than a minute from the time I turned off the road to him appearing. The deal was done in around two minutes and I was on my way back home, shell-shocked, lol.
Anyway, spent probably about fifteen hours from start to finish over three days, and am happy with the end result. This is the way I did mine.
Removed the doorstep floor and raised it by 18mm, which brought it up to just below door entry level. Located Screen Frame on floor, used old number plates to bring the floor up the screen frame lip, then cut door step carpet to fit either side of it, double side taped it to leave a neat job.

Raised door step floor.jpg

Door step floor in.jpg

Door step floor with number plate.jpg

Door step floor with frame fitted.jpg

The electric step switch button was removed and replaced with a blanking plate.

Blanking place where door step opener was.jpg

Then I made the two sides out of 5.5mm plywood, cut out for the door locks, fitted 19mm batten to edges and painted them both on the side showing with cream furniture paint. They were fitted to the screen door frame with 15mm self tapping screws.

Both sides ready to install.jpg

Sides fixed to door screen frame - left.jpg

Next I took off the decorative rail from above the internal door frame, fitted the door frame in place with 30mm x 10 screws into the sidewall of the motorhome, cut the decorative rail to fit in between the frame. The habitation door now closes without touching the screen door by around 15mm.

Screen frame fitted - from outside.jpg

Screen frame fitted - from inside.jpg

The electric step button was fitted to the new side wall and connected. The wires were enclosed in a plastic tube so it looked fairly neat.

Door step opener fitted.jpg

Tube fitted to door step opening wires.jpg

The final job was to replace all the items I had taken off the side walls into a new position so it cleared the frame such as, awning winder, fire extinguisher, key ring holder, satellite dish control box and wiring.

Job done. Now we will be able to sit with the door open for fresh air and conversation without having flies and mozzies buzzing in and out. Well worth the effort of fixing. Total cost...ÂŁ224.

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Nice one, have just sold my Moho this week, looking for a decent panel van now

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Nice one, have just sold my Moho this week, looking for a decent panel van now
Best time to sell too. Hope you find what you are looking for. There seems to be plenty about at the moment. I would imagine they will drop down in price very quickly.
Thanks for your help in finding and fitting help for the screen door. (y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
You are most welcome

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I'm trying to make mozzie screens for our PVC. Rear doors now sorted (ish), however now on day 6 and still struggling with the whoosh bang door. The main problem is I refuse to use sticky velcro on our lovely van so am trying to use magnets/zips instead.

It's a
1630686945509.png

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Why not buy the fiammia proper one it works a treat.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
In case of emergency......or just bored......pack one of these for hours of fun :LOL::LOL:

The Executioner Fly Killer Mosquito Swatter Racket Wasp Bug Zapper Indoor Outdoor Over 50cm Long​

Available fron Amazon etc and if you are bored please do not stick your tongue on the grid while pressing the power on button.....

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
In case of emergency......or just bored......pack one of these for hours of fun :LOL::LOL:

The Executioner Fly Killer Mosquito Swatter Racket Wasp Bug Zapper Indoor Outdoor Over 50cm Long​

Available fron Amazon etc and if you are bored please do not stick your tongue on the grid while pressing the power on button.....
Already got one. Had it for years.

Jul 22, 2020
NW - UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since Aug 20
I'm trying to make mozzie screens for our PVC. Rear doors now sorted (ish), however now on day 6 and still struggling with the whoosh bang door. The main problem is I refuse to use sticky velcro on our lovely van so am trying to use magnets/zips instead.

It's a View attachment 532857
I resorted to a very DIY solution to a fly screen for our PVC side door that sounds similar to your thinking.

Found a ready made one on Amazon that was almost perfect width (would have liked about 5mm more) but too long. A quick trim and hem soon sorted the length.

Then adhered flat bar neodymium magnets along the sides and hang it magnetically.
Soon discovered the magnets were not strong enough along top to hold it up so switched to magnetic clips (see picture) along the top.

I haven’t got a picture of the revised magnet system but the door picture below shows just before the large clip magnets used for the top.

It is by no means perfect and no way bug tight but tests so far show it stops the majority of bugs. No doubt a swarm of midges could get through the gaps/edges but for a cheap diy solution we are happy with it (so far).

Edit.
Found a very dark and poor quality photo that just about shows the top magnets (see below).
I also put clear gorilla tape over the back of the clip magnets as they attach to exterior bodywork and so was hoping to stop them scratching the paintwork (so far so good).
Also bear in mind you can’t close the door with my screen so if you are in a bug ridden area we have to open door and get screen up as quick as we can.
BCE2251C-1353-4132-94EE-2791EB7F828F.jpeg

Attachments

• DA765331-6D2E-44B3-A53C-D068F2899BEB.jpeg
    DA765331-6D2E-44B3-A53C-D068F2899BEB.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 0158B5BB-DDF2-422D-9563-BEE0BCA6BE60.jpeg
    0158B5BB-DDF2-422D-9563-BEE0BCA6BE60.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3E015208-CBAB-440C-B683-A8D73BA0482C.jpeg
    3E015208-CBAB-440C-B683-A8D73BA0482C.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I resorted to a very DIY solution to a fly screen for our PVC side door that sounds similar to your thinking.

Found a ready made one on Amazon that was almost perfect width (would have liked about 5mm more) but too long. A quick trim and hem soon sorted the length.

Then adhered flat bar neodymium magnets along the sides and hang it magnetically.
Soon discovered the magnets were not strong enough along top to hold it up so switched to magnetic clips (see picture) along the top.

I haven’t got a picture of the revised magnet system but the door picture below shows just before the large clip magnets used for the top.

It is by no means perfect and no way bug tight but tests so far show it stops the majority of bugs. No doubt a swarm of midges could get through the gaps/edges but for a cheap diy solution we are happy with it (so far).

Edit.
Found a very dark and poor quality photo that just about shows the top magnets (see below).
I also put clear gorilla tape over the back of the clip magnets as they attach to exterior bodywork and so was hoping to stop them scratching the paintwork (so far so good).
Also bear in mind you can’t close the door with my screen so if you are in a bug ridden area we have to open door and get screen up as quick as we can. View attachment 533921
That is what we had. Drove me nuts having to keep pulling the magnets together after only a short time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back