Importing from China ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have been trying to buy a piece of machinery from UK / EU.

Sadly, I am not able to source anything.

I can however get it from China (USA TOO Expensive).

Has anyone any experience of buying from China Manufacturers direct or through alibaba etc.

Personal or Limited Company ?

I realise the destination country be it UK Or spain, I will have to pay duty and VAT/IVA

TM

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Any complexity in shipping to Spain.

Not sure how on pay the tax on entry etc
My experience is shipping into the UK.

I doubt Spain is much different in practice. Whoever you use for shipping will be able to do the declaration and pay the duty and vat for you. Obviously there will be a fee for this.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've bought lots of stuff from China, mostly cheap electronics, other than the longish wait, never had any problems.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We received a parcel from family in Hong Kong last year here in Benidorm, the postman came up to our pitch for our signature and to collect the import duty from us. It was only a book but the duty was about 8€.
Cheers
Ed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
From your post it appears the Machinery could be just that heavy possible large and I presume expensive, if so you might be wise to source a shipping agent that you could consign the shipment to,they could ensure it is placed under the correct product category that might save a good sum as taxes vary dependant on the product and also it streamlines the process as you have provided your agent that would have all your details.

The company you are buying from in China could of course simply ship with there agent of choice but it’s often not so smooth, sending palletised items is very different to mailing something.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
From your post it appears the Machinery could be just that heavy possible large and I presume expensive, if so you might be wise to source a shipping agent that you could consign the shipment to,they could ensure it is placed under the correct product category that might save a good sum as taxes vary dependant on the product and also it streamlines the process as you have provided your agent that would have all your details.

The company you are buying from in China could of course simply ship with there agent of choice but it’s often not so smooth, sending palletised items is very different to mailing something.

Yes, it’s 120kg and USD 1,500

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ideally use a global carrier company such as DHL, UPS etc insist on this to the seller as it will make the process easier for you. The carrier will normally expect the shipper to provide an invoice with the product tariff code on and item value (just did one last Friday). If you create a DHL/UPS account you can usually pay the import tax and admin fee before it hits your door otherwise they expect payment upon delivery.

The above process will apply to most shipments to the UK (above say £50ish) value post Br3xit,

PS: you can arrange the collection yourself if you prefer, i often do that when shippers don't like dealing with main line carriers.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've had plenty of stuff posted to here from China. No problems.

I've just ordered summat from Japan, so will wait an see what happens there LOL

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
This may be too late but !
You mention machinery from China, the main problem with imports from China and usa is not physically getting it here or the taxation side of it , but , Saftey. Guarding being a specific point. A while back i was looking at print equipment, our saftey officer looked at it and said no way could you get it into europe as no suitablle guarding could be designed or retrofitted, equipment from states was held in customs whilst modifications were made.
Beware of fake e marks. We ended up paying 12 times the cost for a swiss machine with uk support, never regretted it.

Reactions: Ver

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This may be too late but !
You mention machinery from China, the main problem with imports from China and usa is not physically getting it here or the taxation side of it , but , Saftey. Guarding being a specific point. A while back i was looking at print equipment, our saftey officer looked at it and said no way could you get it into europe as no suitablle guarding could be designed or retrofitted, equipment from states was held in customs whilst modifications were made.
Beware of fake e marks. We ended up paying 12 times the cost for a swiss machine with uk support, never regretted it.

I'm curious, Swiss printing machines, tell me more.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Teca print pad printers from kaye dee in Sheffield.
Www.Tecaprint.co.uk used for printing on electronic components
Also used inject printers a nd laser markers
Just noticed location
The swiss site may be of more interest
Www.teca-print.com
Also try ruco inks

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Any item imported to the eu has to comply with eu regs. So you need to know your Chinese machine is compliant before it is shipped. Ask for an instruction manual and/or certificate of conformity to be emailed. If they can’t do this, assume they have never sold into the eu and find one that does. Then, as above, use a shipping agent to handle the import to Spain, You can find out the duty percentage chargeable by looking up the commodity code. Its the same rate in every eu country. The shipping agent can help with this.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Its worth noting TeeMyob, that it is not the manufacturers responsibility to comply with eu regs, unless they are in the eu of course. It is the first importer to the eu that has to ensure compliance. If you buy direct from China, (or any country outside the eu) thats you! Which is why I suggest you ensure the machine you want already complies.

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
hi ive bought many things from china (aliexpress) mainly cycling related and can only say positive things about 95 % of my purchases ,the 5% of poor quality stuff has been when i haven't followed the sensible rules of only buy if the seller has plenty of positive and apparently genuine reviews and if price is virtually impossibly low,it cant be good, now ive been doing so over three years and cant understand why some people pay foolish prices so they can sit on a high horse and say its genuine id rather pay lower for unbranded Chinese cycling frames and components and use the money ive saved to make my family's life better by getting away at weekends in froomey our motor home,one last thing i live in Ireland and haven't been asked for import tax from the post man but have been asked for import tax for things ive bought on eBay from USA and the worst was for a cycling jersey i didn't even realize was coming from Australia

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
alibaba - good site but constant emails afterwards drive you mad !!

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yes, the duty thing is odd. I bought a phone from aliexpress late last year. It came in 3 weeks no duty to pay. Bought a Yanmar engine bit for my boat from the US and paid duty on delivery. I am in England. So its odd the Uk and Irish pursue one but not the other.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back