Importing an RV from the USA into the UK.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by johnsandywhite, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. johnsandywhite

    johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

    Jul 29, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Importing an RV from the USA into the UK.

    First you must choose a shipping company or you could use an agent instead.

    Shipping Companies:-

    Shipping Agents:- (have used and recommend these) (have used these prior to the above)

    Wainwright Bros & Co
    Bowling Green House 1 Orchard Place
    Southampton Hampshire SO14 3PX
    Tel: (02380 223671)

    Insurance to cover the RV during the shipping will cost around 1.5% of the Value. Shipping costs will be between $110 and $150 per foot. The calculation is actually the Volume of the RV ie: Height x Length x Width = per Cubic foot or metre.

    An agent acting on your behalf to deal with Customs and gain clearance costs between £40 (Brunswick) and as much as they can charge (others not named).
    If you wish to do the clearance yourself?
    You will need this form

    Customs Duty and VAT calculations are :-

    10% Customs Duty on the RV’s Value (or purchase price) + Shipping charges.

    17.5% VAT on the RV’s Value + Shipping charges + Duty.

    Once you have had the RV cleared from Customs, a Collection/Delivery note will be sent to you to allow you to pick up your RV from the Docks. You will receive the C&E 386 form (Customs clearance) usually by post within 3 to 5 days.

    Legally, you are allowed one trip in the RV to either your home address, or a company to carry out the conversions necessary for UK use on the road. Providing of course that the RV is insured in the UK. Insurance companies will quite happily insure an RV for up to 2 weeks for this purpose based on the VIN number.

    Once the RV has been converted to UK road use, it must either have an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) if less than 10 years old or a class IV (4) MOT if older than 10years old.
    Having said that. A friend from Liverpool who imported a brand new RV went to the SVA and they said Motorhomes were exempt. Told him he better make sure.

    To register the RV in the UK you will require the following:-
    The Original Title Document
    The Original Bill of Sale for the RV
    The C&E 386
    Form V55/4 (new) or V55/5 (used), from DVLA.
    The MOT or SVA Certificate
    Insurance Document
    The correct fee for Licence for 6/12 months
    The Registration fee of £38 (currently)
    Documents proving and confirming your name and address:-
    Documentation confirming your Name · Current DVLA paper driving licence, · UK/EU or foreign passport,· Marriage certificate,· Decree nisi/absolute, · Birth certificate. Documentation confirming your Address· Utility Bill valid within the last 3 months - gas, electricity, water, landline telephone, · Bank/Building Society statement valid within the last 3 months, · Medical Card, · Council tax bill for current year.

    All the information necessary to import and register a Vehicle in the UK can be found here :-

    Customs -

    Duty & VAT -

    VCA (Vehicle Type Approval) -

    Enquiries to these two for shipping and carrying passengers:-

    Can you save Import Duty & VAT? Yes. All the information can be found here:-

    Paul (ukrv) has imported free of Import Duty & VAT into the UK. He has contacted and discussed the situation with HM Customs & Excise. His communications with them and the replies can be found here:-

    Good luck with your Buying and Importing from the USA. :Wink:
  2. ukrv

    ukrv Deleted User

    Hi John

    Motorhomes are indeed exempt from SVA testing.

    Oh, and the registration fee has now increased to a whopping £50 from the £36 pre-2007 figure. :Wink:

    It is also worth noting that if you buy and tour the USA, it is a good idea to register it under a Montana LLC.

    This not only saves a huge chunk of US Sales Tax, but can also prove useful when you import the RV into the UK.

    The DVLA insisted that my 2006 RV be registered here as a "55" plate as they claim there is no uniform registration policy in the US and therefore they have to register on build date not registration date.

    A friend recently had their 2006 vehicle registered as an "04" by the DVLA.

    Thankfully, there are some staff at Montana Dept of Motor Vehicles who are prepared to email DVLA confirming the true registration date for the RV.

    As a result, we both had DVLA backtrack and issue the "06" plates.

    Im not sure this result would be so easy to achieve if you just register under any State you happen to buy in.

  3. johnsandywhite

    johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

    Jul 29, 2007
    Likes Received:
    :Eek!: I should have updated it before I posted this thread. I also should have mentioned about an LLC if wishing to tour. But I have mentioned that elsewhere. :Laughing:
  4. Smalley

    Smalley Deleted User

    Importing an RV from the USA into the UK


    This is a very delayed addition to this thread! However, I only just discovered Motorhomefun and signed up.

    I am in the US and have been touring since Nov 07. Now looking to ship back to the UK in January. Have sent loads of e-mails to shipping companies and agents and of those that have replied, AbleCargo have come back with a good price. I was wondering if anyone had experience of using them and what they thought?

    My second question revolves around the joys of import taxes. Having done some research on this and read the excellent advice on this site, I am confident I satisfy the requirements for importing tax and duty free. The only potential stumbling block is that
    I own the RV through a Montana LLC in my name. Does anyone have any experience of importing an RV on this basis and how HM Customs viewed this.

    Be very grateful for any pointers.

    Many thanks

    Jon S
  5. moandick

    moandick Read Only Funster

    Jul 28, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Landrake, Cornwall
    Hi Jon S

    I suggest that you speak to Paul Chatwin (you will have seen some of his postings above as UKRV)

    He runs his own web site now, click <here>

    In general, he has been there, seen it and done it.
  6. Smalley

    Smalley Deleted User

    Importing an RV from the USA into the UK

    Many thanks, I'll do that.

    Jon S

Share This Page