Identifying a Hobby shower tray. (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
When replacing the cracked shower tray in my Hobby Van Exclusive 2010 I purchased what I thought was the correct shower tray.
E4BD57D8-D56B-49CF-9A18-3840E0E8D69E.jpeg
On removal I discovered it was the wrong one. Pictures on Speedcoat repairs show this shower tray in situ with the same cupboards/ layout as mine. So I can only assume it is either for an earlier or later model.
I did source the correct one and installed it all OK.
As you can see from the next picture there are a number of slight differences.
B1AF63B0-43DA-4E0A-88CF-A36AB585AEC7.png
I would like to sell the first one but it would be helpful if I could identify what model it is from so someone doesn’t make the same mistake.
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Graham

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Answered by PM.

in addition I managed to identify the shower tray I purchased by mistake.
If anyone needs one it fits the following models.

Dear Mr Lee

Thank you for the Picture with the spare part number.

To this spare part number we give the Information that the shower tray can used for following motorhomes:

2007 and 2008 T555 AK FS and T555 FS

2009 T555 AK FS

We hope this is now helpful for you.

Kind regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Owner of a new- to me -(Hobby 750) and just working thru any problems and nuances the vehicle has.

Just discovered that the shower tray after use and left for a day has water underneath it, eg: when you stand on it you can hear water underneath like standing on some sort of waterlogged ground.

Now there doesn't look to be any visible signs of cracks in the tray and I sealed the only area that looked potentially suspect before initial use.

Could it be the plug hole/waste connector that's causing the problem or elsewhere?

I would have thought that all of the water fell in the tray after the last usage.

Worst case scenario, can you replace these trays and if so, where from?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They often snap the tray where the waste goes through the tray. Often hidden by the joint.

Swapping trays isn’t for the faint hearted, and it is often easier/cheaper to get the tray “speed coated” rather than replace.

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Hi Andy

Yes, just reading up on Google about cracked trays, mine has a hairline crack from left to right, bit annoyed with myself for using it yesterday.

I was reading on a forum ( from 2014) that a firm in Stoke repair them by making a larger hole, spraying limited expanding foam underneath the tray to form a support and then repair the hole and re-coat. Back then there standard price was £ 195 all in, it's now £299.

I am actually in the trade so it wouldn't phase me to rip it out, but I was reading that you have to remove the WC to facilitate such an operation, which seems a lot of work when worse case scenario it's 300 sods and job done. Yeah, I know there is always a draw back, one of having to frequent Stoke for a half a day!! :( :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Much cheaper, we’ve gone down the route of ordering a new one. £400+ and that’s not including fitting. If we tried it ourselves, which was my original idea, we’d end up with it probably fitted upside down, yes that’s us. Ordered just before lock down so haven’t a scoobies when it’ll get done. But not using it so not toobad

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Much cheaper, we’ve gone down the route of ordering a new one. £400+ and that’s not including fitting. If we tried it ourselves, which was my original idea, we’d end up with it probably fitted upside down, yes that’s us. Ordered just before lock down so haven’t a scoobies when it’ll get done. But not using it so not toobad
Can you confirm if the toilet needs to come out, I am assuming you have a Hobby, I am looking and thinking it may not as there looks to be a joint where the two meet?

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Some information that may help.
when I refitted mine, yes the toilet had to be removed. Actually not too difficult a job.
The cracks in my base were caused due to the fact they mount these bases on polystyrene.
Over time this compresses and allows the base to start flexing and eventually crack.
i thought about strengthening the new tray with fibreglass and I visited a local fibreglass company.
The guy there had done some motorhome repairs and knew about the problem. He advised me not to try and strengthen the tray. Instead he said do away with the polystyrene and make a plywood base to fit the moulding. If done properly this stops the tray flexing.
I followed his advice and so far all is OK. I left some of the thick polystyrene around the edges where you don’t stand.
Hopefully this may help.
Graham

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Some information that may help.
when I refitted mine, yes the toilet had to be removed. Actually not too difficult a job.
The cracks in my base were caused due to the fact they mount these bases on polystyrene.
Over time this compresses and allows the base to start flexing and eventually crack.
i thought about strengthening the new tray with fibreglass and I visited a local fibreglass company.
The guy there had done some motorhome repairs and knew about the problem. He advised me not to try and strengthen the tray. Instead he said do away with the polystyrene and make a plywood base to fit the moulding. If done properly this stops the tray flexing.
I followed his advice and so far all is OK. I left some of the thick polystyrene around the edges where you don’t stand.
Hopefully this may help.
Graham

Cheers Graham,

All input appreciated!!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
All bathrooms are different in different MoHo’s and mine is an Adria. I have not has any issues with my gray, but looked into it when I was thinking of buying a Knaus with dodgy tray. There is a far amount to remove for most trays to be removed, and like you I’m in the trade, so not overly concerned about that, but my concern was how delicate things are, if they can be sourced, their cost, and the amount of time it takes to get them.
Speed coat is a franchise thing so there are many people dotted about all over the country. They don’t alway drill holes in tray, they only do that if they feel that there is more movement than they think is ok.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Owner of a new- to me -(Hobby 750) and just working thru any problems and nuances the vehicle

Are you absolutely sure the water is ingressing from a cracked tray? Some dye would confirm this.

Check your wheel arches. A well known weak spot for water ingress on the 750

David.

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
I am absolutely positive, you can see it squeezing up and through the crack- capillary attraction, these are hair line cracks, that draw the water in.

I do have a remedy for it all, will post some pics when I get round to doing it, should cost me about £100 and my time.

Edited to say: Yes, was aware of the wheel arch problem from your videos and other posts before buying the MOHO...wish I had a been a bit more aware of the shower tray problem, hey-ho, not a biggy in the wider scheme of things.

Last edited:

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
And finally got round to sorting the tray out a couple of weekends ago....

Step 1 ( You find a girl to love) I digress, screwed the plastic tray down with about 50no 25mm screws,
Step 2 Purchased some 12.5 mm aqua board and cut it to the size of the tray, applied a generous amount of Sikafill onto the plastic tray and screwed the aqua panel board down onto the plastic tray, once again using about 50 no ( this time slightly longer) screws. Filled the sides with Sikafill and left everything to cure.

Step 3 Purchased some tiles on a mat, 4 no , applied shower grade tile adhesive and bedded down new tiles.
Step 5 re fit the chrome outlet ( did need a 52mm landrover box spanner to remove and replace the plastic back nut) bedded it down with Sikafill.
Step 6 Grouted. Job done

Also purchased a low pressure shower head with mood lighting? :ROFLMAO:( it actually changes colour with the temperature of the water.

Total cost

Aqua panel £ 12
TIles £ 12
Spanner £ 15
Sikafill ( 2 tubes) £12
Adhesive and grout ( £5 ) at a guess, I already had these .

Time ....circa 4 hours

Been up to the NNC a couple of times and all fine and dandy, rock solid.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_084026.jpg
    IMG_20200517_084026.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200517_090256.jpg
    IMG_20200517_090256.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200518_074358.jpg
    IMG_20200518_074358.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200517_112652.jpg
    IMG_20200517_112652.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 66

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
That looks quite tidy! We’re still waiting for ours, ordered and paid for the week before lockdown☹️. Mind you can’t access van anyway as on CAMC storage site!

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
That looks quite tidy! We’re still waiting for ours, ordered and paid for the week before lockdown☹. Mind you can’t access van anyway as on CAMC storage site!
SBE forgot to add the 'money shot'- finished image

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_135031.jpg
    IMG_20200525_135031.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Not a chance.... it's screwed down and then a cement fibreboard screwed down so the bottom of the tray is sandwiched...with sikafill , a good amount, between and around the edges of the board.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Seen this a bit late but as you have had water under the shower unless you removed the shower tray to dry out underneath and make sure there is no rotten timer you could be in for big problems in the future. Really not worth skimping on these sort of jobs or it could cost you megabucks later.

Last edited:

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Mate,

I am builder/plasterer / Damp proofer/ bathroom fitter/ plumber and well versed with the possibility of dry/wet rot.

In this instance, I am quite happy and confident that there is no problem with either of the above mentioned. The vehicle had been stood for months unused prior to my purchase and the couple of times I used it before discovering the problem it was left to dry out fully with a heater placed in there and ventilation provided.

Over and above to this work I did also cut out a small section of the plastic tray out circa 50mm sq. to test the timber underneath- sound as a pound!!!

Last edited:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Those trays are prone to cracking.
I would try and repair/ reinforce what you already have, a decent speedliner should be able to help.

Mar 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
hobby
Answered by PM.

in addition I managed to identify the shower tray I purchased by mistake.
If anyone needs one it fits the following models.

Dear Mr Lee

Thank you for the Picture with the spare part number.

To this spare part number we give the Information that the shower tray can used for following motorhomes:

2007 and 2008 T555 AK FS and T555 FS

2009 T555 AK FS

We hope this is now helpful for you.

Kind regards
Hello, long time passed since you posted this advise but I’m wondering if the showder tray is still available ?
Seems could fit my van
Thank you for replying
Stefy

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hello, long time passed since you posted this advise but I’m wondering if the shower tray is still available ?
Seems could fit my van
Thank you for replying
Stefy
I think you will find a lot of the posters in this thread aren't around anymore, someone else may come along to help though.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hello, long time passed since you posted this advise but I’m wondering if the showder tray is still available ?
Seems could fit my van
Thank you for replying
Stefy
Sorry. I sold it a long time ago. Chap arranged to have it shipped to Ireland. When I searched it was the only one I could find.
Good luck in tracking one down.

Mar 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
hobby
I think you will find a lot of the posters in this thread aren't around anymore, someone else may come along to help though.
Hope that somebody can help for a solution …
Really cannot understand how HOBBY could build such showder tray 👎

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hope that somebody can help for a solution …
Really cannot understand how HOBBY could build such showder tray 👎
It really depends what’s up with your tray.
Many people have excellent recoating/ repair carried out by Speedcoat. There are a number of franchises around the country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back