I feel like I've never owned a motorhome before. (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This new motorhome is our 4th Carthago. We have never used the tv point that consists of a slide down 'bracket' that drops into the back of a seat. I have always moved the cables and put the tv elsewhere. I thought that we would give it a try this time. We are going to buy a new telly so I thought that I'd better check sizes as it looks wrong.
I fitted our old Avtex for a try out. There is no way that we can drop the bracket down the back of the seat, when fitted the tv is too fat, back to front. The slot needs to be an inch wider.
Any Carthago owners please who can tell me where I've gone wrong.
I don't think the photo helps.
image.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder if it will only accept an Alphatronic one, those seem to be what Carthago supply normally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
From what I have read from other Carthago owners the Avtex TV's are very popular and are frequently fitted instead of the usual Alphatronics.
Perhaps the latest Avtex are slimmer. Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade. (y)

Richard.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
From what I have read from other Carthago owners the Avtex TV's are very popular and are frequently fitted instead of the usual Alphatronics.
Perhaps the latest Avtex are slimmer. Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade. (y)

Richard.
That sounds like a good idea.
I have an Alphatronics in the loft somewhere, it was supplied with our first MH. I'll try that, it's too small screen wise but will do as for testing. I wondered if our Avtex was fatter because of the DVD slot.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That sounds like a good idea.
I have an Alphatronics in the loft somewhere, it was supplied with our first MH. I'll try that, it's too small screen wise but will do as for testing. I wondered if our Avtex was fatter because of the DVD slot.
We had an Avtex with the DVD slot and it was definitely fatter than a non-DVD one.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had an Avtex with the DVD slot and it was definitely fatter than a non-DVD one.
Thanks. I've just tried the Alphatronics and although it's a bit thinner the bracket still won't close. I don't know if it's ours that's been fitted incorrectly, but as it's a just a box shape I can't fathom how.
It's probably one of Carthago's strange ideas. They no longer fit sun blinds , the salesmen told us that the windscreen shutter is to be used as a sunblind when driving. Considering it goes up when the ignition is turned on I haven't fathomed how it works. I can get it to drop 6" but that's all. We didn't know that until we got home after taking delivery.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure which van you have but I think the new Carthagoā€™s fit monitor type TV screens with the tuner and gubbins (technical term) housed in a separate box located in a locker. That probably means the screen is much slimmer than a 'normal' TV. Perhaps that is your problem.

Richard.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not sure which van you have but I think the new Carthagoā€™s fit monitor type TV screens with the tuner and gubbins (technical term) housed in a separate box located in a locker. That probably means the screen is much slimmer than a 'normal' TV. Perhaps that is your problem.

Richard.
Thank you for the info. We have a Chic E Line, new as of 3 days ago.
I have emailed Camper Uk to ask the question, but as yet no reply. I will 'rattle their cage" on Monday morning. We don't want a big screen tv, we manage very well with a 20" Avtex.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Our new Carthago C-Tourer has the Alphatonics flat 32" monitor in the seat back-box with the Tuner/HDMI electronics above it in the little locker. It's linked to the Pioneer head unit which is used by all accounts to provide the sound. Have to say, it's the one thing we didn't really study intently when choosing the van/layout, but it's not that good compared to our previous Avtex installation. Seems all a bit clunky and I just know that Mrs Sunlover will struggle to switch it on and get what she wants to watch playing easily :rolleyes: so that will be another Blue Job inside the van then!

I did for one brief moment have the TV remote control actually raising and lowering the sound whilst watching TV (or was it a DVD?) but since then all adjustments have had to be made on the piddly little tiny buttons on the head unit, totally impractical if you're sat in the bench seat by the galley. The IR remote sensor on the underside of the monitor is actually 100% blocked by the seat back cushion, so you then think the channel change buttons have failed on the remote, when in practice, it just cannot see the receiving sensor .... pah hah hah .... cleverly thought out or what?

If you pull the monitor off of it's ball catch mountings to swing it out on the bracket to get a better viewing angle, it then is too loose to stay where you want it, there's just no friction stay or anything, and so it just swings out gaily towards the galley .... another better use modification needing to be figured out in due course. And don't get me started on the head unit continually draining starter battery power when it's not properly in use .... beginning to understand that Carthago might have a great marketing department, but they've also got a poor design implementation department (light switch for the shower located in the galley???)

I should have twigged on handover, when we entered the van that the TV was already on and "working". We should have had them power it all down and put it away, then bring it back up and on again to see what really needs to be done just to watch the TV. Fortunately, we're the sort that resort to watching the TV/Films when it really is poor weather and we're wanting to be snuggled up with a good bottle of gin and a decent movie to get lost in. Not going to get bent out of shape on it, but it is a remarkably poor set-up/AV installation when all is said and done.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Our new Carthago C-Tourer has the Alphatonics flat 32" monitor in the seat back-box with the Tuner/HDMI electronics above it in the little locker. It's linked to the Pioneer head unit which is used by all accounts to provide the sound. Have to say, it's the one thing we didn't really study intently when choosing the van/layout, but it's not that good compared to our previous Avtex installation. Seems all a bit clunky and I just know that Mrs Sunlover will struggle to switch it on and get what she wants to watch playing easily :rolleyes: so that will be another Blue Job inside the van then!

I did for one brief moment have the TV remote control actually raising and lowering the sound whilst watching TV (or was it a DVD?) but since then all adjustments have had to be made on the piddly little tiny buttons on the head unit, totally impractical if you're sat in the bench seat by the galley. The IR remote sensor on the underside of the monitor is actually 100% blocked by the seat back cushion, so you then think the channel change buttons have failed on the remote, when in practice, it just cannot see the receiving sensor .... pah hah hah .... cleverly thought out or what?

If you pull the monitor off of it's ball catch mountings to swing it out on the bracket to get a better viewing angle, it then is too loose to stay where you want it, there's just no friction stay or anything, and so it just swings out gaily towards the galley .... another better use modification needing to be figured out in due course. And don't get me started on the head unit continually draining starter battery power when it's not properly in use .... beginning to understand that Carthago might have a great marketing department, but they've also got a poor design implementation department (light switch for the shower located in the galley???)

I should have twigged on handover, when we entered the van that the TV was already on and "working". We should have had them power it all down and put it away, then bring it back up and on again to see what really needs to be done just to watch the TV. Fortunately, we're the sort that resort to watching the TV/Films when it really is poor weather and we're wanting to be snuggled up with a good bottle of gin and a decent movie to get lost in. Not going to get bent out of shape on it, but it is a remarkably poor set-up/AV installation when all is said and done.
On our last E Line we extended the cables, ran them under the floor and brought them up behind the forward facing seats, then fastened a bracket near the window and hung the tv on that. The tv tucked on the headrests when travelling. We could then both use the turned front seats For viewing.
We canā€™t do that in the new one as it has a fancy shelving thingy between The kitchen and the forward facing seats.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Himself is in Lincoln having the Sat dish fitted, they couldn't get it delivered prior to us collecting the MH. He took our present Alphatronics tv with him as it is thinner than the Avtex. The Alphatronics was supplied by Carthago 3 years ago.
As per my original posting it won't fit the bracket. They have just told him that they have made the drop down bracket slimmer so it will only take a new Alphatronics TV..
That's not going to happen!!

Can anyone suggest a super thin 12v TV please. The option is to take out the drop down unit and make something purpose built.
Any ideas pleasešŸ˜€

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Himself is in Lincoln having the Sat dish fitted, they couldn't get it delivered prior to us collecting the MH. He took our present Alphatronics tv with him as it is thinner than the Avtex. The Alphatronics was supplied by Carthago 3 years ago.
As per my original posting it won't fit the bracket. They have just told him that they have made the drop down bracket slimmer so it will only take a new Alphatronics TV..
That's not going to happen!!

Can anyone suggest a super thin 12v TV please. The option is to take out the drop down unit and make something purpose built.
Any ideas pleasešŸ˜€
Buy a slim PC monitor and a free-to-air tuner?

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Is a free to air tuner a Humax type box and would it work off the sat dish. I assume a PC monitor would be no use if wanting to use the aerial in the windscreen. Sorry if I seem a bot gormless but we have a smart tv at home and we only use the basic tv on that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back