Hymer Exsis Leak in Garage (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

GnB

Sep 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
00ceans
Hi

We have a 2014 Hymer Exsis and have found water in the right corner of the nearside garage. My initial suspicion was that my OH was not admitting to leaving the door unlocked, but after searching the forums and further investigation, it seems that the wheel arch seal may have failed. Apparently at some point Hymer were sending dealers a kit to remedy this as it became a known problem but not recallable - does anyone have any idea what it contained or how to go about remedying this?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
The wheel arch problem was a bit later than 2014 I think.

Two other possibility with that year Exsis, our last van was a 2014 Exsis.
One is the garage Door seals we had to have one replaced.
The other is if you fill the water tank past 100% on the guage on twisty roads the inspection cap works lose and water flows into the garage. Easy to check lift the centre panel in the garage floor and see if there is any water under there.

OP
OP
G

GnB

Sep 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
00ceans

The other is if you fill the water tank past 100% on the guage on twisty roads the inspection cap works lose and water flows into the garage. Easy to check lift the centre panel in the garage floor and see if there is any water under there.
Hi Lenny

Thanks for the reply. Yes there has been water when lifting the central cover up though we're dried it each time and it's become wet again without the van moving. Does this tally with your experience? If so, where do we find the inspection cap? Is it the one in the van floor?

Garage seals look ok. Did you replace them yourself or go to da dealer?

Thanks for your help

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Having spent ages trying to figure out where the water was coming from in the garage, I tried to eliminate each possible source. Paper kitchen towel attached around the inside of the door seal soon identified water getting in half way up the frame.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

Hi Lenny b,
I’m not hi jacking the thread I just wondered where you got the garage door seal from as I’ve got a similar problem on my 2005 655 Starline, I did read somewhere there’s company in New Milton Portsmouth/Southampton area that will match any seal. Many thanks. gwyntaxi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New

I have exactly the same problem, tighten the lid fill to the top and the lid is loose.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Guys, did you ever get a resolution on this one? We have a similar issue, Exsis 414 I ,2014. Water pooling in the rear corners of the garage, but entering certainly from the left hand corner and look to be running down behind the corner moulding and along the metal trim across the back. We experimented with spraying the rear doors , but no obvious leaks from that. When water was sprayed on the left hand corner of the roof, we got clear trickle of water entering the back left corner of the garage below the corner L shaped moulding. So thoughts are, is it likely to be the roof seal across the rear of the roof? Or any other known areas of ingress? Any advice gratefully received.

Sep 7, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis 688
Exp
Since 2010
Just found this in the floor of our Hymer exsis-T 2015. Drained it but it just keeps seeping in. Drained freshwater tank, tightened seals and valves. Waiting for it to stop filling garage!

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_110756.jpg
    IMG_20230104_110756.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 73
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Just found this in the floor of our Hymer exsis-T 2015. Drained it but it just keeps seeping in. Drained freshwater tank, tightened seals and valves. Waiting for it to stop filling garage!
Are you dure that it is from your freshwater tank? We had the same view , emptied the rank, put the van up on chocks to encourage any water to escape back into the under floor compartment and dried it out. Refilled the tank until the overflow underneath the van started to flow, and them stopped the hose. Left it overnight, no water in the compartment. We now know that it is an external leak from the left hand corner of the van from the top somewhere. Looks like the seals down the side and across the back may be leaking. Doing more tests tomorrow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On the Exsis we had that happened if you brimmed the water tank and then drove on twisty or rough roads. It was fine if we stopped filling when the gauge got to 100%.
We did also have a small leak from the garage door seal when parked at home on the weather side. A new door seal cured that.

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
On the Exsis we had that happened if you brimmed the water tank and then drove on twisty or rough roads. It was fine if we stopped filling when the gauge got to 100%.
We did also have a small leak from the garage door seal when parked at home on the weather side. A new door seal cured that.
Thanks for your input Lenny, tested the overfilling the tank scenario,and the door seals but all good. What we do have is an external leak from the top left hand corner of the van which manifests itself by coming out from under the quadrant corner moulding in the garage, and then runs along the garage and into the under floor storage area. We now have to identify exactly where the leak is located, so more fun with the hosepipe with me locked in the garage , tracking the leak, is scheduled for tomorrow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not heard of it on the left side but I know two Hymer owners with a similar problem on the right hand side. The leak was caused by a factory fitted awning they had disturbed the joint between the rear and side panels.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It was the wheel arch on my 2013 Exsis. The right hand side, if you dismantle the bottom of the wardrobe you can see all round the arch. Give it a good spray with a hose and if it is leaking it is obvious.

I will see if I can find the photo.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
50D172C7-5E8C-40CA-8851-4B8CC3CF1CCB.jpeg

Here you go, you can see the split in the sealant. Also if you look on the left hand side at the bottom, it was almost as if they ended the sealant bead early and didn’t put enough in.

Since resealing with Sikaflex, has been dry as a bone.

We had water in the garage, coming across from the fridge across the floor or on top of the tank depending on which way it was parked.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
8A28BCB8-3517-4250-AADD-A9EB38510860.jpeg

The hole I mentioned isn’t clear, where the circle is, it was underneath where there was a big sealant gap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back