How much?? Homebase daylight robbery for 5kg Gaslight refill - alternatives please (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Looking forward to BBQs using my 5kg Gaslight/Flogas (ex BP) cylinder and realised that there's just about enough left in from last season for one more BBQ.
Checking with my local Homebase and find they are now asking the extortionate price of £31 for 5KG or 11 litres of gas as a replacement that's nearly £3 per litre.
I've got a Gaslow refillable system in the mh and usually pay less than 65p per litre on a forecourt.

What are the alternatives? Give back my 5Kg Gaslight and get my paltry £12.50 deposit back then:

(1)buy a Gaslow 5KG Direct Fill 6KG refillable at around £165 https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-direct-fill-6kg-refillable-cylinder-01-4006-67-d/

or (2) buy a Safefill 5Kg now that Morrisons have partnered with them? http://www.safefill.co.uk/safefill-refilling-partners-morrisons.html

or (3) any other suggestions for a gas cylinder that I can carry in the mh for mobile BBQs (don't like the fixed BBQ point) as well as using in the garden at home.

Suggestions/comments welcome.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Sell the bottle on ebay or here.

Get a Safefill bottle. I managed to get a deal £160 for 10kg bottle with stainless steel hose on ebay They were out of stock of overbraided so sent me a super dupper ss hose.

I sold 4 bottles for around £20-£30 each. Dont need the hose, sold on ebay for £20 net profit. So bottle came out around £60
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.05.36.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.05.48.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Sell the bottle on ebay or here.

Get a Safefill bottle. I managed to get a deal £160 for 10kg bottle with stainless steel hose on ebay.

I sold 4 bottles for around £20-£30 each. Dont need the hose, sold on ebay for £20 net profit. So bottle came out around £60
Thanks. Would be interested to hear about the Safefill bottles in use. Seem to be a better, lighter product that the Gaslow direct fill, But the 5KG appears to be out of stock at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
You could always get hold of some camping gaz 907s and refill them when empty from a mid-size butane cylinder. If you Google the process there are plenty of instructions for putting the refill kit together and once you’ve done two refills it will pretty much have paid for itself. It’s a very easy and safe process. Yotties have been doing it for years because there’s usually no other option but to pay through the nose for exchange cylinders and no refill pumps in most ports. The beauty of using camping gaz cylinders is that you own them outright and are not in breach of any ‘agreement’ by refilling them yourself.

pm me if you want any help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
You could always get hold of some camping gaz 907s and refill them when empty from a mid-size butane cylinder. If you Google the process there are plenty of instructions for putting the refill kit together and once you’ve done two refills it will pretty much have paid for itself. It’s a very easy and safe process. Yotties have been doing it for years because there’s usually no other option but to pay through the nose for exchange cylinders and no refill pumps in most ports. The beauty of using camping gaz cylinders is that you own them outright and are not in breach of any ‘agreement’ by refilling them yourself.

Thanks but I prefer the larger 5 or 7.5kg refillable cylinder. The 907s are too small.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There were three calor lite cylinders for sale on the classifieds yesterday 🤔

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Thanks but I prefer the larger 5 or 7.5kg refillable cylinder. The 907s are too small.
I initially thought so too, but we found one would last us a couple of weeks on board, then we’d switch over to the other. It took care of all the cooking with hob and oven, admittedly no heating, as this was via Eberspacher, but one cylinder will do you lots of bbqs and won’t take up much space. Thought it might be worth sharing in case it adds another choice. (y)

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safefill 👍👍
I use two X 10kg bottles in the van. Luckily an independent filler just 2 mile away so I take the bottle down in the car.
If you plan to use it just for BBQ check what local filling stations you have nearby.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I've got a twin 6kg gaslow system in our van, which I also used with a onni pizza oven when parked at home, but also use it occasionally at my garage when I need a blow torch or even a heater in winter, so I have been thinking of a safefill cylinder for use in those occasions, especially when they are on the 20% off deal on ebay 👍

Plus, if I sell on my spare cylinders I could recoupe some of the cost

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks. Would be interested to hear about the Safefill bottles in use. Seem to be a better, lighter product that the Gaslow direct fill, But the 5KG appears to be out of stock at the moment.

It's often hard to get any sizes of Safefill and always has been.

Why limit to 5kg? These bottles are very light, if that's your concern. A full Safefill weighs about the same as an empty steel bottle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Safefill 👍👍
I use two X 10kg bottles in the van. Luckily an independent filler just 2 mile away so I take the bottle down in the car.
If you plan to use it just for BBQ check what local filling stations you have nearby.
Thanks. I've also got a plumbed in gaslow cylinder and have a choice of two filling stations nearby so no worries.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
It's often hard to get any sizes of Safefill and always has been.

Why limit to 5kg? These bottles are very light, if that's your concern. A full Safefill weighs about the same as an empty steel bottle.
Good point. I've just been checking the cylinder dimensions and think I can get the largest Safefill into my gas locker with my single gaslow built in cylinder. Have sourced cylinders at a marine supply company in Norwich.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Good point. I've just been checking the cylinder dimensions and think I can get the largest Safefill into my gas locker with my single gaslow built in cylinder. Have sourced cylinders at a marine supply company in Norwich.
Just wondering if the safefill bottle can be connected to your gaslow system and filled using your external fill point?

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
If your thinking of collecting in your MoHo and the marine supply company is in Brundall, be careful, its down a narrow lane and a low railway bridge. :unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
That's been discussed a few times on various Safefill Facebook Groups & it's not recommended - there is a similar GasBank multivalve cylinder that can be used this way here https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/gasbank-multi-11-kg-lpg-light-composite-motorhome-propane-bottle/

View attachment 494244
Thanks. I'm only likely to use a Safefill cylinder to put gas into my Gaslow fixed cylinder when outside the UK. I've got a heavy spanish cylinder and regulator that can be connected using the Gaslow external supply extension pipe when on site if the Gaslow runs out. The beauty of this arrangement is that the spanish cylinders are available on most larger campsites in the winter so not far to walk to replace a cylinder. However, the Safefill is much lighter and as I understand it can also be connected to my Gaslow for inputting gas when the built in cylinder is empty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Best idea, I got my 2 from there, but then I'm just up the road and might be worth asking for a discount, I got one;)
One quick question. I've got a set of Gaslow fill adapters for France, Spain etc. I presume these can be used on the Safefill cylinder, they are the same direction thread aren't they?

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I have 2 x Gas It bottles fitted in van and have just managed to purchase a 5kg Safefill bottle (stored in garage) for BBQ/gas fire pit.

I don’t understand why anybody would continue to purchase Calor etc. They are robbing their customers blind!

I topped up Gas It bottles this week whilst on travels and it cost me 59 pence per litre (£7 in total)

LPG is everywhere. Just use the LPG app

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
One quick question. I've got a set of Gaslow fill adapters for France, Spain etc. I presume these can be used on the Safefill cylinder, they are the same direction thread aren't they?
👍 yes

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Whilst it is 'possible' to do this user-refilling of non-user refillable cylinders it's not something that I'd recommend, nor would many others either.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back