how much do rear steadies weigh? (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have rear steadies on our Autotrail Miami. We're constantly struggling to get the rear axle within the allowed weight limit. Wondering how much we would save if we took the steadies off.
We have a tow bar and a tow ball fitted bike rack and find that with the bikes on we are heavy at the back even with air suspension cranked up.
So - how much would the steadies weigh? Any ideas?

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Dunno - depends on the type you have. Maybe 4 kgs each?
But because they will be a long way behind the rear axle, that weight is amplified at the axle - so might add perhaps 20kgs in effective weight at the axle itself?
(All these numbers are a wild guess, without knowing what they are and how far behind the rear axle they are located.)

As a general tip, maybe have a really rigorous look at anything you are storing in or on the MH rear of the mid-line between front and rear axle, and PARTICULARLY to the rear of the rear axle....what heavy items could you move as far forwards as possible?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
From handling them in the past I'd say about 10kg apiece.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would up rating the van's permissible weight be a possible option for you?

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Would up rating the van's permissible weight be a possible option for you?
We've done that - up to 3900kg but we have a long overhang and we're heavy at the back and light at the front. We're not overweight. The bikes on the towball rack seem to be the problem. I think we're going to get a trailer with bike racks on the top so that we carry nothing of any weight in the underbed storage.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I agree with Lenny, steadies maybe 10kg for the pair, they don't weigh much. What will be heavy though is that towbar - do you really need it? Could you take it off and fit a Fiamma bike rack to the rear wall instead, or (even better) swap the bikes for folding ones that can go inside your garage, thereby both reducing weight (no rack at all) and putting the bikes closer to the rear axle than your present ones?

You can always keep the towbar to go back on in future if you really need it - they're not that difficult to take on and off most vans.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
my towbar was 60 kgs stuck on the back, nearly the same as me.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
There you go - if you can lose the towbar and the bike rack, you're probably talking at least 100kg off the rear axle, given the amplification effect of items behind the axle. You say your van has a particularly long overhang, so the towbar could be even heavier than GwayGway's.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
There you go - if you can lose the towbar and the bike rack, you're probably talking at least 100kg off the rear axle, given the amplification effect of items behind the axle. You say your van has a particularly long overhang, so the towbar could be even heavier than GwayGway's.
We've talked about this but it feels like a bit of a risk. If we do this and put a rack on the back and are still overweight we've burned our boats.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We've done that - up to 3900kg but we have a long overhang and we're heavy at the back and light at the front. We're not overweight. The bikes on the towball rack seem to be the problem. I think we're going to get a trailer with bike racks on the top so that we carry nothing of any weight in the underbed storage.

Most sensible option. (y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We've talked about this but it feels like a bit of a risk. If we do this and put a rack on the back and are still overweight we've burned our boats.

How far overweight is the van currently, with the bikes on?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Your thinking is flawed.

If the the tow bar weighs 60Kg, with a fair portion of it towards the rear, and a bike rack weighs only 20Kg (conservative estimate). You're already ahead of the game.

I would also expect that the bikes are likely to be mounted slightly further forward than when mounted on the tow bar rack so you'd also be gaining there.

Have you already considered redistributing the motorhome contents to move weighty items forwards towards the front axle? That will also help unload the rear axle.

Ian

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You've got to be better off without tow bar and add alloy bike rack that would be the way I would go.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Your thinking is flawed.

If the the tow bar weighs 60Kg, with a fair portion of it towards the rear, and a bike rack weighs only 20Kg (conservative estimate). You're already ahead of the game.

I would also expect that the bikes are likely to be mounted slightly further forward than when mounted on the tow bar rack so you'd also be gaining there.

Have you already considered redistributing the motorhome contents to move weighty items forwards towards the front axle? That will also help unload the rear axle.

Ian
Except that a quick look on Google says a MH tow bar weighs between 25 - 40 kg. In that case my thinking might not be so flawed. I don't know if there's any way of estimating the weight of the specific one.
Yes we've moved heavy stuff forward where possible.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Except that a quick look on Google says a MH tow bar weighs between 25 - 40 kg. In that case my thinking might not be so flawed. I don't know if there's any way of estimating the weight of the specific one.
Yes we've moved heavy stuff forward where possible.

A poster above quoted an actual weight of 60 Kg, hence my (qualified) statement. A quick look at the Fiamma website confirms that my estimate of 20Kg was indeed conservative - 10Kg is more realistic.

The only way you'll be able to tell the weight of yours is to take it off (not an irreversible process) and weigh it.

The arguments all point to you having a net gain if you lose the tow bar. Whether that gain amounts to 80Kg is another matter but, the fact is, you still need to reduce the size of that number.

Ian

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Fit a couple of wheels to them and lower them down. That should take some weight off the back axle :)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We uprated with svtech as well but they didn't mention a way of increasing the load on the rear axle. Having said that, we're definitely aware of light steering when the bikes are on the towball rack.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What about folding bikes and keeping them in the garage or even inside? Or taking the wheels off your existing bikes and putting them in the garage, if you have one? We've got 2 folding bkes for us adults (out of necessity - 3 kids bikes on the rack!) and they are very good, my Dahon especially, copes with me at 6'2" and 18 stone! You might not even need to get rid of the towbar then.

Your trailer idea is of course an option but they are a faff - and if you get a very small trailer they are a pain to reverse, especially if you can't see them in the mirrors. Larger trailers are much easier but then of course you've got to store it somewhere. Personally I'd regard a trailer as a last resort.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
How I wish we had a garage - but we have a fixed French bed with storage underneath. We've been talking about getting a bigger van but there is so much about ours we like. It's always about compromise eh? I suspect the tow bar will have to go and we could have a bike rack put on.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Apart from a trailer which as said will be a real faffff. It's bikes inside the motorhome I think, which will also be a nuisance, but you have to do what you have to do. o_O

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
MH tow bar weighs between 25 - 40 kg. In that case my thinking might not be so flawed.

Surely it is.

A tow-bar is a big heavy lump of iron made to haul hundreds of pounds and cope with all the shock loads of the road.

A bike rack is a scrappy bit of aluminium. You already carry that weight now.

Tow bars bolt on, so, unbolt it and weigh it.

Is there any way you can post pictures of it, we've some proper job engineers on here who might be able to give a good estimate.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Surely it is.

A tow-bar is a big heavy lump of iron made to haul hundreds of pounds and cope with all the shock loads of the road.

A bike rack is a scrappy bit of aluminium. You already carry that weight now.

Tow bars bolt on, so, unbolt it and weigh it.

Is there any way you can post pictures of it, we've some proper job engineers on here who might be able to give a good estimate.
I'm thinking that the garage that looks after the van might be able to give us at least an estimate of how heavy a thing it is. I'm not sure how we would get under and get a photo of it so might try that first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back