How much data does a navigation app consume (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm thinking that I'd be better off using a phone app for satellite navigation, rather than my posh GPS.
There is a significant update charge for maps but the head unit accepts 'CarPlay' so I could (perhaps?) just as easily connect the phone and use that instead.
So my question is, how much data do they consume during, say, an hour's journey and could there be problems using it abroad?

And another question:
If I ask for directions in French, are the subsequent instructions also in that language??

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They use very little data, I think it`s only for traffic info
I think you have to set the language but never tried using voice commands on a smart phone, bit a technophobe in that area lol

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Google Maps use around 0.6MB of data per hour and Waze uses only about 0.23MB an hour and it will go lower than that if you plot your directions or maps while you're on Wifi. Mobile data needs to be turned on for the GPS and other location services running in the background but they, too, use less data. Waze can be used everywhere in the world where there are roads. ... Waze is available anywhere there is cellular/GPS reception. Since Waze uses data to function, be sure to ask your provider about data packages when traveling.The four main operators in the UK declined to comment on the specifics of the commercial deals they have done with other operators, but said they did not plan to reintroduce roaming charges.

Three said it "already offers roaming at no extra cost for its customers in over 70 destinations including the US, Australia and New Zealand. We will retain this great customer benefit regardless of Brexit negotiations."

Vodafone said it had no plans to reintroduce roaming charges.

EE said: "Our customers enjoy inclusive roaming in Europe and beyond, and we don't have any plans to change this based on the Brexit outcome. So our customers going on holiday and travelling in the EU will continue to enjoy inclusive roaming."

And O2 said: "We're committed to providing our customers with great connectivity and value when they travel outside the UK. We currently have no plans to change our roaming services across Europe."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I support Figaro's view. The Apps do not need to be on line unless you want traffic information. I use Co-Pilot and OsmAnd the latter for detailed local information.
ezee

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I support Figaro's view. The Apps do not need to be on line unless you want traffic information. I use Co-Pilot and OsmAnd the latter for detailed local information.
ezee
It depends wether you are using an app that has its own maps on your device or relies on obtaining the map information over the air by using data.

You mention CoPilot which you have downloaded the maps for onto your device so it doesn't need data, but the likes of Waze and Google maps need data to access the map.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have a proper sat nav app like Tom Tom, Sygic, etc all of the maps can be downloaded and saved on your phone when you are at home. That means that the only data you need is if you switch on the live traffic updates, and that will not use much.

I have been using Sygic for many years on my Android phones. First installed European maps about 15 years ago and updated ever since for free. They often have great deals in their sales. I supplemented my original deal to all of the world maps with lifetime free downloads of maps and software as well as lifetime traffic updates all for about £20.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I'm thinking that I'd be better off using a phone app for satellite navigation, rather than my posh GPS.
There is a significant update charge for maps but the head unit accepts 'CarPlay' so I could (perhaps?) just as easily connect the phone and use that instead.
So my question is, how much data do they consume during, say, an hour's journey and could there be problems using it abroad?

And another question:
If I ask for directions in French, are the subsequent instructions also in that language??
Use CarPlay every time.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
ezee
Best not to under estimate the use of traffic info though - saved me many a time from sitting in traffic.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Apps like tomton go use very little, the maps are pre-downloaded so data is only for traffic etc.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not certain, but am pretty sure that only very few apps are compatible with CarPlay (or the Android equivalent). Google maps is compatible (but I don't think Waze is) and I think google grabs information from you all the time, to collect movement information, to say nothing of the map data and instructions that's sent back. I think it may be possible to get a report on how much data an app has consumed if you know how. (I have only used a phone as a phone in the past.)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not certain, but am pretty sure that only very few apps are compatible with CarPlay (or the Android equivalent). Google maps is compatible (but I don't think Waze is) and I think google grabs information from you all the time, to collect movement information, to say nothing of the map data and instructions that's sent back. I think it may be possible to get a report on how much data an app has consumed if you know how. (I have only used a phone as a phone in the past.)
Google maps and Waze are both compatible

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
'HERE' maps is a free download; download as many countries as you wish, add/subtract as your travel preferences dictate. Uses GPS positioning with an option for online or offline mapping so can be used independent of any data link. Simply setup at home over wifi, select your countries and then you are data free if you choose. Map updates are automatically notified and are free. We use an old HTC smartphone without a sim card simply as a satnav backup for when the Garmin overheats and goes into a perpetual reboot!

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
'HERE' maps is a free download; download as many countries as you wish, add/subtract as your travel preferences dictate. Uses GPS positioning with an option for online or offline mapping so can be used independent of any data link. Simply setup at home over wifi, select your countries and then you are data free if you choose. Map updates are automatically notified and are free. We use an old HTC smartphone without a sim card simply as a satnav backup for when the Garmin overheats and goes into a perpetual reboot!
I also use Here down load required maps at home , then set to work off line , used it on Lenovo tablet for the last 2 years all over Spain and France with no issues

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thanks for the replies.
as well as navigation CarPlay will bring up text messages, emails, link to your music, link to your address book, reminders and loads more but not much use if you want to keep your phone as just a phone would would be a pity. Waze is also compatible, Google will only gab the info when you ask it too. I have the location Google app on all the time as when back home it is a really useful resource to track the places you have been and your route. I am not concerned about the big brother thing.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When Covid started, Google was one of the organisations that showed us how much less travelling we were doing from all the data they had gathered over the previous 12 months. I'm not too bothered that they collect that data (nor that they have passed my house to photograph it and collect SSID info). It's the cost to me of transmitting that data over my phone.
Whilst I don't trust them (I suspect they only ask for permission to include personal data) I'm more concerned about the data flows that would affect my modest allowance.
I don't listen to music in the car, nor make or accept telephone calls. E-mail can wait until I'm ready to read it (with a decent screen and keyboard). I may be a bit of a dinosaur, but I'm a comfortable one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back