How much better are modern solar panels compared with 2011? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
In 2011 I bought two 100A solar panels from RoadPro. Quite expensive at the time, with a bill of around £1200 for the panels and controller.

Various people have told me that panels are way more efficient these days.

When I look at this site: https://news.energysage.com/solar-panel-efficiency-cost-over-time/
It seems to me that my panels are about 17% efficient compared with around 30% currently. So nearly a doubling of efficiency.

Is this about right?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt it, providing you have Monocrystalline panels they won't be a lot different. Any improvement will be relative to size a 100watt panel will still be a 100 watt panel just the size will be a bit smaller.

However your panels may have lost up to10% of their output due to aging probably not enough to worry about.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would say the same if you get a more efficient panel the same number of watts it will just be smaller. The controller though might have been improved on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I recently fitted a 160W panel which is exactly the same size as the previous 110W panel which I think was fitted from new in 2006. So that's almost a 50% increase so I expect that your figures are about right. Also the panel was only £110 :giggle:

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Of course, 100w is 100w regardless.
I thought recent panels are more efficient in terms of not actually needing direct sunlight. Not much of an issue in Southern Europe, but here in UK where we don't get that much sun....

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I doubt it, providing you have Monocrystalline panels they won't be a lot different. Any improvement will be relative to size a 100watt panel will still be a 100 watt panel just the size will be a bit smaller.

However your panels may have lost up to10% of their output due to aging probably not enough to worry about.
When did Monocrystalline come out?

Sep 3, 2018
Epsom
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 2017
I think the improvement is overstated. The highest efficiency solar panels on the market today can reach almost 23 percent efficiency. The average efficiency of solar panels falls between the 17 to 19 percent efficiency range. Solar panels have been consistently increasing in efficiency at about .5% annually since 2010. So that would be only 5% or so since you got yours. Perovskite in a tandem cell is the new thing on the horizon, which should increase the efficiency up to about 30% maximum. See below:

I agree with other posters though in that they may have got better at packing more cells into the same space, so although efficiency of an individual cell might not be much better, they may be crammed in better, giving more wattage per panel.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When did Monocrystalline come out?

I'm wondering this, Ive got 2 x 120w factory fitted panels from 2003 that arent producing much and werent in the summer either. Now I can get a 175w in exactly the same size.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
seeing as how panels are being discussed , are these good vfm ? The size isnt an issue :)
A very good panel, half cut cell but, you can do better for that size. If you say the space is not a issue, for a bit more dosh go for Trina half cut perc. These half cut are in 1,7-1,8 a 2m by 1m. The larger has reached 420w already I think is JA solar leading on half cut. The original first to come out with half cut was REC with twin peak model, others seen the benefits and followed suit. A half cut panels is a double panel in paralel, if one gets shaded, the other half works without penalty. Half cut has the benefit of utilising the silica more efficient than mono with the same benefit and squeeze more cell surface on same frame for less money.

As for the OP- your panel has suffered degradation along the time. It’s not at the same efficiency when it left the packaging box. Once is out of box, it’s degradation began. Newer panels have ironed some of that PID power induced degradation and have low LID values compared to old tech. Better buss bars, better low iron glass, and overall better cell efficiency due to high quality silica manufacturing process. Today’s market can offer panels with a efficiency of as low as 15% for used panels and up to high end premium efficiency of max 22%. The only manufacturers that have broke the 21% efficiency panel is sunpower and LG. None are above 23%. If space is not a such big issue, then efficiency is not top priority. Your priority will be to chose a panel with very low degradation, and a good yield in various conditions. Any panel will produce power in the sun, but, very few will perform well in reduced light or transient diffused shadows. Top performers are top dollar with sunpower, LG, Panasonic at the very top, and rest after. Big manufacturers have huge capacity to spend in R&D resulting in top quality. The ones that have all production in the house, without subcontracting cell or other parts have full control over the hole product resulting in high quality and will always strive to lead the market. It’s a never ending race, that drives innovation forward.
In a nut shell, your panel still works but compared to new once is a poor performer. Just the bypass diodes in the new panels makes big difference. Some old once have none.
As for the perovskites, they been dragging it for some time, nothing on the market. Just research and apparent impressive results with nothing to show, not even a prototype. They better bring something out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back