How many people regret buying a MH and then go back to a caravan? (1 Viewer)

Clangers

Free Member
May 21, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
Having owned a MH for 3 years and covering 700 miles we have sold it and thinking about going back to a caravan.
Is this common?

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Had caravans (4) in four years before trying a T5 based camper. I struggled at first as I missed my creature comforts but I adapted.
As you do with a caravan set up then go on jollies around the area for a week now we visit a place then go to site for the night then move on. If the site is really nice for a rest we might do two nights.
I find going away for a weekend for better in the van also it gets used for tip runs/delivery of larger items.
Hopefully our next van will be 5.4-6m van.
The T5 fit’s easy on the front with our other cars not like the caravan which had to be in storage .

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Been a caravanner for 25+ years and my wife and I regularly had the discussion about whether a moho would be better. In 2020, because of the pandemic, we bought a smallish moho and love the spontaneity it gives us. We store that on the drive, the caravan’s on a farm 15 miles away so takes some organising to get ready and away. My health makes lugging water quite difficult now and I like the quick set up of the moho. We haven’t got rid of the caravan and might keep it and use it for longer stays on service pitches - it’s roomier and more convenient with the car for trips out.
Which do I prefer? I enjoy the caravan but I itch to get the moho on the road. My wife prefers the moho too (but doesn’t drive or do any of the technical stuff) so no surprise there 😁.
Horses for courses I suppose and we are lucky to be able to have both.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Having owned a MH for 3 years and covering 700 miles we have sold it and thinking about going back to a caravan.
Is this common?
Mmmm we caravaned for 28 yrs then changed to mhome just before pandemic! However as soon as allowed we were off, love being able to just move so frequently easy set up, easy going abroad, i just hve to do my homework re public transport, bought electric bikes and sometime we hire a car. Off on fri to sunny spain for 10 wks via eurotunnel, driving down over 4 days wldnt have done that with a caravan. If only thing your changing for is becsuse you dont have a car look into car hire which tbf you wldnt use every day wld you, having mhome makes you more active too.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am another who never had a caravan, so did not post earlier as I am an interloper on this thread.

My comments are that I came to MHoming because after 25 years with a yacht in the Aegean I realised I was missing out on the interior of Europe.

I never considered a caravan, maybe because in the boat I was self-contained and it had its own engine.

From the start of looking at MHs I decided I wanted an A Class. Bought the N&B Arto 69GL 11 years ago and it has done all we want. I still have never considered a caravan. MH routine on arrival is < 5 mins. from handbrake - gas on- table and chairs out - bottle opened. Same departing.

Ran yacht and MH for 5 years but not enough time for both so passed it on to a friend.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
We did the opposite, M/h for 20 years & then bought a new caravan in 2020, beautiful van but just not a M/h too much messing about for us, only my opinion. We reverted back to a M/h & although one of the big discussions people seem to say that once you’ve set up your caravan you have the car to tour around, agreed but you don’t have Tea making facilities & toilet at your disposal. We take a tow-car with us but only tend to use that to either visit large cities or at night to go out for a meal / pub etc. I think it’s all a personal thing but for us the vote is you can’t beat a M/h
We also went from a m/h to a caravan, we sold our Dethleffs and bought a brand new swift caravan, the Swift was swiftly moved on after a year and a Hobby m/h was purchased, which we have now replaced the Hobby with a Burstner.
The ease of use and functionality of a m/h, is our favoured way of holidaying. At least we tried tugging, but then saw the error of our ways.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Why do people keep harping on about the time to set up a caravan? The only time we used our main awning was when we stayed 2/3 weeks on the same site in Spain. Awnings are no more compulsory for caravans than they are for motor homes. I also had a 25litre water container plumbed in over the axle, which was kept full. I admit positioning the van was more time consuming than our MH, but that was in the days before motor movers. Apart from that we could have the kettle on 10 minutes after arrival.
As I've posted before, the trigger for us was getting literally soaked to the skin getting from the car to the van one year in Spain. We went straight from tha caravan to a 30' RV, with one of the first toads in the UK which we kept for 20 years, and finding overnight stops wasn't a lot different to the car/caravan, and there were quite a feww times when I wished for a cassette toilet I could walk to a disposal point.
Now we've got an European MH we often think of going back to a caravan not only for the extra space, but so we can put 3 grandkids in the car.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Is this common?
Cannot say how common it is but would make the following observation. The minimal usage( I know we've had Covid lockdowns etc) suggest you haven't really given it a decent go. Even with Covid and other commitments, I managed 8K miles over the past three years. Assuming you are a spring/summer/autumn vanner, yours equates to half a dozen trips a year doing twenty miles out and twenty back. That's barely an extended test drive. Motorhoming is more about the journey so unless your holiday pattern is a visit to a relatively nearby location where you merely sit and watch the view/ have a swim, you haven't thought about what you want from your leisure vehicle.

Motorhomes come with a primary downside of being a bit big for pottering around town/ Cornish lanes etc. This can partly be mitigated by choosing the right sized van. Every other aspect is, as far as I can see, an upside. I caravanned for sixteen odd years before switching. Children swing it in favour of a less nomadic style but, as I'm getting uncomfortably close to eighty, I'm not anticipating becoming a father in my old age unlike Abraham.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clangers

Clangers

Free Member
May 21, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
I thought it was a good idea getting a MH but for us it was a mistake.
looking back half the miles we’re returning the van for repairs (purchased from cowboys) and reselling it a long way from where we live. 200 miles in 3 years is a true figure for actually going away.
A very expensive mistake!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We caravanned for 45 years.
At 40 years we bought a small motorhome as well, which turned out to be a disaster as it was a 'rush buy' and we bought the wrong thing so, after six months it was gone and it was back to the caravan. Our holiday style has changed to shorter time, more locations. We are now in the 'mature' group so things don't get any easier.
I loved towing the 8.25m Adria Izonzo however, as has been said, when we got there it was hard work so SWMBO said to look for a motorhome.
Lots of research and viewing came to our ideal motorhome, Autotrail Cheyenne 740SE...front lounge, middle 2 x single bed bedroom and rear bathroom. The limited space took some getting used to however, the convenience of just turning the key and going, leave in minutes and being able to stop anywhere far outweighs the negatives. We do occasionally tow the Citroen C3 behind when going for longer stays.
Do we regret changing to motorhome? Certainly not, though I do still miss the towing and the huge living space.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just hire a car when you want one, that's what we do, lovely people drop it off and then pick it back up again when you have finished with it, eliminates all that worry and costs of towing etc etc.
Is that in the UK or abroad?

And is there a particular car hire company you use?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Why do people keep harping on about the time to set up a caravan? The only time we used our main awning was when we stayed 2/3 weeks on the same site in Spain. Awnings are no more compulsory for caravans than they are for motor homes. I also had a 25litre water container plumbed in over the axle, which was kept full. I admit positioning the van was more time consuming than our MH, but that was in the days before motor movers. Apart from that we could have the kettle on 10 minutes after arrival.
As I've posted before, the trigger for us was getting literally soaked to the skin getting from the car to the van one year in Spain. We went straight from tha caravan to a 30' RV, with one of the first toads in the UK which we kept for 20 years, and finding overnight stops wasn't a lot different to the car/caravan, and there were quite a feww times when I wished for a cassette toilet I could walk to a disposal point.
Now we've got an European MH we often think of going back to a caravan not only for the extra space, but so we can put 3 grandkids in the car.
Agree I can set up in 10 minutes , I pull up uncouple from towcar and press the button on the remote for the automatic engagement of the motormover and manoeuvre onto a pitch .
Doesn't matter if its level or not as I have automatic EP self levellers then connect up the EHU and fill the 50 litre aquaroll , job done tv on and cuppa .
I don't have worry if a site has good public transport or if its close to a town for supplies .
No walking in the rain or having stand at a bustop or have my day dictated by when we can catch a bus .
I see motorhomes still faffing about with levelling ramps and windscreen covers 20 mins after arrival .

Upvote 0
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
I've been around caravans since being very young, when my parents had them - and, due to my dad's job, we got to spend all summer in them, a few days here, a few days there. One bit of my family has a caravan repair business, so I've borrowed caravans in the past for touring in, or even for me living in for a few months when I'd moved job across the country but hadn't yet sold the family home and bought a new one (the caravan was much better than living in a room in someone else's house whilst waiting for the sales to go through).

But for my wife and myself, we're nomadic on holiday; constantly moving and exploring, following our noses and stopping in different places, so the PVC is perfect and a caravan would be nightmare.

We do sometimes stay on sites with my wife's two brothers and their wives, who both have caravans and one has a young family. We love being able to set up and be ready (just stop the engine, open the door, optionally run an EHU lead) whilst they are still faffing for ages - but then, they have more room for their kids and better bathroom & cooking facilities. If we do take our PVC out for the day with them, we can still pack down and be ready to roll faster than they can sort their families out and get them into their cars. We'll take bicycles or a motorbike along if we expect it to be easier for getting around (e.g. exploring around Cornwall) than driving the van. But this summer we found the perfect solution - one of my pair of in-laws came without their kids, so whilst we had our PVC and motorbike on site, we could just jump in their car and be chauffered for some outings!

Definitely a horses for courses thing.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I never knew how much faff is involved with caravans until we went away with our best friends who have one. I would never want one now I’ve seen one in use.

Also I assume they have rubbish forums, as the caravan owners like to stay on motorhome forums.

Upvote 0

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
As a kid I witnessed my parents animated discussions and antics whenever we ventured out into the wilderness with the family caravan towed by a Triumph Stag with me, my sister and spaniel crammed in the back! Those parental choices certainly left their mark suffice to say caravans are not my favourite mode of camping accommodation. That said there are some lovely caravans out there and I sort of understand why people like them.
Personally for 2 Adults and one small Border Terrier there’s a lot to be said for just spontaneously jumping in the reasonably sized motorhome/van like today and having half a day out walking and enjoying a cuppa with cake in some remote spot in the comfort of your own van. If however I get a knock on the head and forget my childhood experiences I could always hitch a caravan onto the back.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
One advantage of a MH over a caravan... you don't have to go outside during inclement weather.
Just drive onto your pitch, swivel the seats.
Caravan, reverse caravan onto pitch... get out, get wet to unhitch, get back in car, park car.
Get out, get wet and unpack all the kit from the car and put it in the caravan... etc

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks. Happy New Year.
We have always said caravan and Motorhome holidays are different. With a caravan you do a spiders web. You pick a good spot, find a site that has what you want for your group, spend half a day setting up and then a week or more roaming around the area doing the things that float your boat.
With a Motorhome, your holiday is more like a snail trail. You drift from place to place staying a day or two in each spot. Some plan the route while others just see what comes.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
For us - we only book the crossings and see where we end up. Sometimes we have an idea, like going across the bridge to malmo, while other trips are on a theme - like castles.

I guess you do what you want to do.

Upvote 0

rammygb

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just hire a car when you want one, that's what we do, lovely people drop it off and then pick it back up again when you have finished with it, eliminates all that worry and costs of towing etc etc.
We been motorhoming for near on 20 years and march last year decided to sell Motorhome and change to caravan because wife had bad arthritis in her knee so couldn’t walk far so after tugging to Norfolk for 2 weeks which was quite daunting. We enjoyed the van once set up but even when we went out in the car we couldn’t do much anyway because wife couldn’t walk far. So back to square one. Decided to go back to motorhoming although now stuck at the moment with motorhome and caravan which I’m currently trying to sell.
we tend to stop off to get provisions en route to sites and stay a cpl of nights then move on. We also try get on sites with easy to reach shops pubs ect.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I arrived on site yesterday, backed onto the pitch in line with the white post, put the screen cover on, tv aerial on roof and plugged in the electrics. Thats me set up. On the pitch next to me a caravan arrived a few minutes after me. They then over an hour getting set up with their awning, water etc. Today the weather here is awful and the caravanners have driven off for the day. I'll be going for a walk from the site this afternoon to the lake / village etc
We’ve seen the above several times and one chap we know arrives at the CS we frequent, with caravan, and he is still finishing the details of setting up the next morning!
We used a caravan when we helped on a campsite (just parked up not moved) but a MoHo is for us, we love the way you can just move around and France is a dream for us!
We have a toad in Uk but don't take it abroad.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We been motorhoming for near on 20 years and march last year decided to sell Motorhome and change to caravan because wife had bad arthritis in her knee so couldn’t walk far so after tugging to Norfolk for 2 weeks which was quite daunting. We enjoyed the van once set up but even when we went out in the car we couldn’t do much anyway because wife couldn’t walk far. So back to square one. Decided to go back to motorhoming although now stuck at the moment with motorhome and caravan which I’m currently trying to sell.
we tend to stop off to get provisions en route to sites and stay a cpl of nights then move on. We also try get on sites with easy to reach shops pubs ect.
What did you find daunting
Are you not very confident towing ?
If your wife is struggling with walking consider a fold up mobility scooter
my partner uses one when she’s really in pain .
Other times she’s not so bad and manages to walk short distances

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We started with tents then moved to folded camper. This was our first experience of towing. We changed to a caravan to cut down the faff of setting up a tent or folding camper. The caravan suited us with 2 kids but we only went within 3 hours if our home because we found it stressful to stop on route. This meant we were very limited in our holiday choice. We took the plunge 8 years ago and love the touring aspect of it. We have only done a couple of small euro trips so far. We are now retired and going in our first 2 month trip to Spain in a couple of weeks. Something I would never have contemplated with the caravan.

So no I would never return to a caravan, we love the freedom of touring with the motorhome. 😊

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
What did you find daunting
Are you not very confident towing ?
If your wife is struggling with walking consider a fold up mobility scooter
my partner uses one when she’s really in pain .
Other times she’s not so bad and manages to walk short distances
I use a folding mobility scooter and it has made a world of difference.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I find setting up the caravan takes almost the same time as setting up a MOHO. With the caravan I have to set the steadies down , with the MOHO I had ramps, caravan has a barrel of water , the MOHO had to stop at the tap and fill the tank, afte 3 days max the MOHO had to be moved to the drain point, as we use cl's mainly not often a drive over, the caravan has a wastmaster. Towing is not as good with the caravan but because the space was limited in our pvc we had a trailer with that anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Why do you think it takes that long to set a Caravan up ?
When I was a kid we did the caravan thing. There was the setting the pitch, reversing, blocks, getting it level and chocks. Then there was the joy of the awning. All the family tugging on canvas, holding poles, setting out guylines and then setting up skirts and covers. Next came the toilet tent, water carrier, waste water carrier. Bikes came off the car, to be locked up on the draw bar.
I reflected that this was many years ago so things must be better. Then I remembered the endless entertainment on campsites watching caravaners setting up, or packing away.
it takes us 6 mins from picking a site, the kettle on, including levelling. We have also gone from lying in bed to driving off, in 20 mins. Try that with a caravan.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
We started with a campervan, Fiat Amigo, then stopped for a few years went back to camping when our daughter grew up, we had a tent for a while then got another campervan, Mazda Bongo, swapped up to a pvc, Autosleeper, had that for many years, now moved to a caravan. The future? We will see 😉
A bit off topic but you've made my day Gasman. I had an Amigo in the 80's with round headlights, and a little scooshy thing that you pressed to get water on the windows. It was tiny. Did some hols in it on my own but it fell to pieces and I sold it. Never seen another like it anywhere since. Started to wonder if it only ever existed in my imagination!

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
It’s a bit disappointing to see an element of smugness and (misplaced) superiority creeping into some posts. Each of us tours in our own way, whether camper, MH or caravan (or something else). It’s our choice and we take what comes with it. Being self satisfied because someone in a caravan takes a bit longer to pitch seems a tad petty, doesn’t it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back