Home Build or Professional? (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Everyone.

My son wants to live in a campervan with his partner for three months.

They're doing it for fun and plan to travel around the UK and Europe and then sell the van, hoping to get back what they spend on it :)

I'm trying to advise them and steer them in the direction of a professional, recognised conversion, but they've seen a home build they're keen on.

My view is a that professional one is likely to be better thought out and of a higher build quality; I think it will also be easier to insure and eventually sell.

What do you think? has anyone experience of buying a home build, good or bad?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There are home builds and home builds.
It all depends on the builder and the 'architect'

A tried and tested design, built by a cabinet maker will be a lot better than home made plan built by a carpenter or joiner.

What you don't want is a design knocked up on the back of an envelope and then executed in plywood by the average DIYer in his driveway. I'd argue it could actually decrease the value of the van, as you can't easily see the van behind the plywood.

My sister has a 'home build' that was built by a guy who knocks out one or two vans every year.
He also fits kitchens and builds stairs, which makes him more of a cabinet maker than a carpenter.
The end product is good quality, but I still prefer the professionally designed/purpose built vans (although you pay for the privildge)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
It sounds to me like your son has been watching one too many "van-life" videos on YouTube, in which case I fear you have little hope of persuading him!! One thing you might want to do though is ask him to check out a channel called (I think) "Jits into the sunset". They are/were a young couple (were members here for a bit as well i think?) who did the whole "van life" thing, but did it in an old auto-sleeper. Maybe if he looks at that he would see he can still have all the tie-die he wants but maybe do it in some comfort :ROFLMAO:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
They’re only going to be young once……support them following their dream, whatever it is in.

Even the price of home conversions are stupid at the minute….so they’ll probably get stupid money back at the end of the fun, or they could get debt up to their eyeballs on a ‘luxury’ van (mines better and bigger than yours MH) and try to recover the finance plus interest at the end of the adventure.

When your young fun is the game, including mishaps and mistakes, not unnecessary expensive creature comforts…..tell them to go enjoy them self’s in whatever they feel is right for them, and can afford.👍🏼

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I build self builds ( nice ones ) .not sheds ----If they intend to sell on to get money back then for a first van I would recommend they buy a named manufacturers van
They could loose an awful lot of money by buying what they think is a nice conversion that may not appeal to anyone else, or turn out to be a shed.
I see lots on Faceache that people make and are little better than sheds and are dangerously made.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi Everyone.

My son wants to live in a campervan with his partner for three months.

They're doing it for fun and plan to travel around the UK and Europe and then sell the van, hoping to get back what they spend on it :)

I'm trying to advise them and steer them in the direction of a professional, recognised conversion, but they've seen a home build they're keen on.

My view is a that professional one is likely to be better thought out and of a higher build quality; I think it will also be easier to insure and eventually sell.

What do you think? has anyone experience of buying a home build, good or bad?

Thanks in advance, Jim
The crux of their “plan” ( in quotes for a reason ) is the re sale of the van……..and that is where it all comes tumbling down, because self-builds have a minuscule re-sale market
Its hard enough in normal times to re sell privately a branded one if your are not a dealer

OP
OP
Jimsnap
Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the replies/advice. The van they have their eyes on is a 2015/6, 7m Sprinter that's '90%' finished.
It has 150,000 on the clock and they're asking £26000.
The seller may be a member here, if so I hope they don't mind me talking about it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Any pics? More info etc,

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thanks for all the replies/advice. The van they have their eyes on is a 2015/6, 7m Sprinter that's '90%' finished.
It has 150,000 on the clock and they're asking £26000.
The seller may be a member here, if so I hope they don't mind me talking about it.
Most professionally build motorhomes are delivered '90% finished'
Almost everyone has to go back to the dealer to get often quite serious things fixed or replaced

So I'd say what is the value of a 2015 Sprinter with 150k on the clock ?

Then add the value of the work done so far, which irrespective of what the seller may claim, is probably a couple of grand, five grand absolute tops if it has a fully fitted and working loo, shower and kitchen.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Value of Sprinter is 9k to 12 k if done really nice they may have spent Up to 7 k on stuff inside or windows roof lights cooker heater loo shower upholstery furniture boards etc ,hence requirement for pics 😉

OP
OP
Jimsnap
Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Value of Sprinter is 9k to 12 k if done really nice they may have spent Up to 7 k on stuff inside or windows roof lights cooker heater loo shower upholstery furniture boards etc ,hence requirement for pics 😉
I've just posted a link to it

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
They are young let them do what they like the need for the fitted kitchens and bathrooms will come soon enough some of the best times we had were in the back of a bedford van, holden van in australia and even a ford fiesta camping for any one with a naughty mind

Too many young people have all the trimmings of the middle aged responsibility will come soon enough

OP
OP
Jimsnap
Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
They are young let them do what they like the need for the fitted kitchens and bathrooms will come soon enough some of the best times we had were in the back of a bedford van, holden van in australia and even a ford fiesta camping for any one with a naughty mind

Too many young people have all the trimmings of the middle aged responsibility will come soon enough
Yeah, I do wonder if I'm getting too involved.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've just posted a link to it
Yes seen link but no pics inside !!!!! If it's the same as Querky campers that's on FB they are shit conversions IMO
I would not be paying anything like 26k more like the 12k for van and about 3k on top for stuff inside,,,,,then rip it all out and do it properly 😉

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You haven't been looking very hard then, I've seen hundreds. Maybe you mistake the good ones and think they are a pro marque.
Have a look on here at some of my builds on here
Edit not you Jim ,misquoted ment to quote Landy Andy 👍Dont know how to change it😉

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
oops

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimsnap
Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Yes seen link but no pics inside !!!!! If it's the same as Querky campers that's on FB they are shit conversions IMO
I would not be paying anything like 26k more like the 12k for van and about 3k on top for stuff inside,,,,,then rip it all out and do it properly 😉
I'm not sure what you mean, click the link and scroll down, lots of photos.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Agree with you. Never seen a quality self build, especially one that was legal weight wise.
Define quality, I have seen some horrible factory builds by Companies at Motorhome shows, asking for 60k plus. Some at 80k. Only some gullible pay that money for useless bling. Only my opinion.
But there are ppl up there in the market for the right reasons.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There are quality self builds and then there are this sort of self builds.

Nothing wrong with it, but no way would I be parting with 26k for it either.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Brand name vans hold their value much better. A really good conversion that's fully featured and sells for £20k would be worth £30k if it had a brand name on it, even if it's identically spec'd.

It used to be that pretty much every self-build lost money when sold... but the current market is so overheated right now, I'm not sure if that's still the case. You might break even... if you don't include your own time.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Let them get the van they fall in love with and let them enjoy it. At £26k they might get half of it back when they sell it. I had one built on a 3 year old Ducato, similar figures to the above. I part exchanged 4 years later it for a new “professionally built” one.
There’s nothing to beat driving around in a van you’ve help design, etc.
What’s £13 grand against a lifetime of memories in “their” van. Over their own lifetime they will waste bigger sums on other things that will give much less in return.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's not worth anything like what they're asking for it, has anyone else noticed that what I assume is the filler for the water tank is in the floor?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That's not worth anything like what they're asking for it, has anyone else noticed that what I assume is the filler for the water tank is in the floor?
The sealant in the shower? If that’s the job on show, what’s underneath?

The 500kg payload is very important here too. It’s not a lightweight build, it’s not even finished and you already have only 500kg. I reckon another 100kg of finishing it off before completion.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with it, conversions are difficult things to do and expensive. A few bits of 12v electrics can cost hundreds and hundreds.

I just don’t think it’s worth that sort of money but the market will find the right price regardless of what I think.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
At the end of the day, the only truly important thing about this whole situation is whether or not your son and his partner are going to enjoy themselves and make some memories that will last a life-time.
Are they going to pay over the odds? Yep, given the market right now, that's a given.
Will they buy something that's a shed? Maybe, maybe not. It might not be the way that you, I or other forum members might do it, but again, does that really matter?
As long as they aren't breaking themselves financially, then all you can really do OP is offer them your support and experience. Go with them to look at some of the vans and if somethings wrong, say so but also say why it might cause them problems. To them, making a bed each night might be part of the romance whereas to you it's a deal breaker. That's different though to you spotting a shower-tray that's going to rot the van from the inside out. Offer your advice and then let them make their own mistakes if they insist!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back