Hobby replacement shower tray? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2020
Ledbury, Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Mein Van
Exp
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement shower tray for a 2008 Hobby Mein Van Exclusive? I have found someone who can make a fibreglass replacement but I wanted to compare that with an original plastic version.
Mine has completely failed around the drain plug and is beyond repair. The waste trap need replacing too which I assume is easy to get hold of.
Thanks

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Whilst I can't help with the original replacement, just wondering if Derek Justice is the person you are talking about for the fibreglass replacement? He made a new sink for my Hymer less than half the price of anything else I could find

OP
OP
Peggydog
Nov 3, 2020
Ledbury, Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Mein Van
Exp
Whilst I can't help with the original replacement, just wondering if Derek Justice is the person you are talking about for the fibreglass replacement? He made a new sink for my Hymer less than half the price of anything else I could find
I've just found him on Facebook and sent him a photo of my tray. I'm waiting to hear back from him. Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I have bought a bathroom sink from these people.
They had cornered the market in 'our' sink for a 2006 manufactured X244 Hobby 650.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Peggydog
Just a thought.
I know you've said that your current shower tray and waste is beyond repair but,
have you tried finding out who are your nearest Speedcoat repairer is.

We've had ours done and it carries a LIFETIME guarantee (Not ownership but Lifetime.)

Have a look here.

OP
OP
Peggydog
Nov 3, 2020
Ledbury, Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Mein Van
Exp
Peggydog
Just a thought.
I know you've said that your current shower tray and waste is beyond repair but,
have you tried finding out who are your nearest Speedcoat repairer is.

We've had ours done and it carries a LIFETIME guarantee (Not ownership but Lifetime.)

Have a look here.
Thanks for this. I've just sent them an email. I have found a replacement in fibreglass which costs Ā£265 before I've even fitted it so all other ideas very welcome. Thanks again!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for this. I've just sent them an email. I have found a replacement in fibreglass which costs Ā£265 before I've even fitted it so all other ideas very welcome. Thanks again!

I don't think there's much change in Ā£350 for the Speedcoat but the difference is less than two hours work at Highbridge (and they sub it out to Apple at Ā£50 an hour) Talk about money for old rope.

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Another one for Derek, did me a fibreglass shower tray. Much better than the original.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
If you can get a fibreglass replacement I would go for it. I eventually sourced a genuine replacement and they are not particularly strong.
To change the left hand shower trap you have to take the tray out.
The right hand one can just about be changed by removing a panel in the cassette locker.
It is a major task fitting a new tray. You have to remove the toilet.
On advice I made a wooden Profile base to sit under my tray.
The problems are caused because the tray sits on polystyrene packing and over time this compresses and allows the tray to start flexing leading to cracks.
I attach some photos
3779B87B-8EA9-4A5F-8E3E-6B4301934E64.jpeg
913340D0-D6A3-4EA5-9B01-6ED2A9D16A81.jpeg
E356FC9E-6401-46C6-8F45-CC8B7638CDDF.jpeg
photos of the work in progress when I did mine.
Good luck.
edit. The wooden profile base sits under the circular ribbed part of the tray.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
If you can find out if the shower tray is made out of ABS, then cracks etc, can be repaired very effectively using an ABS slurry.
The slurry can be made using small chips of ABS (such as ABS 3D printing filament) dissolved in acetone (soaked overnight to allow it to fully disolve) to make a reasonably thick glue, about the consistency of egg white.
If you have access to the damaged waste hole then this can be repaired too and reinforced with the slurry built up in layers. Although the ABS slurry appears to dry very quickly, it's best left overnight to fully cure if it's a thick layer.
The damaged areas can be sanded (ABS sands quite easily) and then painted with a flexible shower tray repair paint like the Fascinating finishes ltd (Hull) kit sold on Amazon.

If the tray is ABS, then this would be by far the cheapest option. Even if you bought a 500g spool of ABS printer filament (silver if that's your tray colour), at around Ā£15 to Ā£20, or a filament sample kit which would be less, and the Acetone 250ml at about Ā£10 and the paint at Ā£32, you wouldn't be spending much more than about Ā£60.

OP
OP
Peggydog
Nov 3, 2020
Ledbury, Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Mein Van
Exp
If you can get a fibreglass replacement I would go for it. I eventually sourced a genuine replacement and they are not particularly strong.
To change the left hand shower trap you have to take the tray out.
The right hand one can just about be changed by removing a panel in the cassette locker.
It is a major task fitting a new tray. You have to remove the toilet.
On advice I made a wooden Profile base to sit under my tray.
The problems are caused because the tray sits on polystyrene packing and over time this compresses and allows the tray to start flexing leading to cracks.
I attach some photosView attachment 443850View attachment 443851View attachment 443852photos of the work in progress when I did mine.
Good luck.
edit. The wooden profile base sits under the circular ribbed part of the tray.
Thanks for this. I've actually just booked it in to be speed coated which comes with a 10yr guarantee so I feel confident they can sort it properly. But really interesting, if slightly scary, to see what you managed to do. I'll try to post up a picture of the finished job when it gets done next week. Cheers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back