Help working this panel out 😂 (1 Viewer)

flurominx

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Pollensa
Exp
455DCBEB-ACDC-4575-81C1-52921B97C481.jpeg
Hi everyone, I'm new here! Just recently bought a 20 year old autosleeper Pollensa on a peugot van, and unfortunately the manual seems to be for a completely different set up. I've got a few questions for anyone who's seen a panel like this before.

- how do I tell if my battery is charged / getting low?
- what are the bottom set of switches for? ( The only one I've used tbh is the pump one, the rest just stay switched on permanently)
- the water level doesn't seem to work ( it said I had more water than I started with during my first trip 😂) and when I press the water level read button is just flies off the charts so it's useless. Any way of resetting this / getting it to work?

I'm planning on living in it full time basically, have never owned a motorhome before and don't want to accidentally break something. I'm planning on doing as much free camping as possible so being able to read my battery and water status would be highly useful!

non panel related questions, some of which might seem silly:
- when on battery I could only use lights and the TV. I couldn't use the plug sockets or use the fridge, is this normal? How would I keep the fridge cold, I'm guessing using gas? If I get a 12v adapter for the plug sockets would they work?
- how can I tell if the fridge is on 12v and therefore maintaining temperature whilst I'm driving?

T

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
From top left clockwise
Water heater control, on/off and temperature. Always remove the cover outside over the flue

Master switch and guage. Press the button marked read to show water level, although they are notoriously useless. The little screw in the corner for setting allows you to get it to give you a base line when full. But the probes are not reliable to give an honest answer

Switch bank 1 lighting, 2 water pump, 3456 vary van to van but usually light circuits

when on battery I could only use lights and the TV. I couldn't use the plug sockets or use the fridge, is this normal? How would I keep the fridge cold, I'm guessing using gas? If I get a 12v adapter for the plug sockets would they work?
The plug sockets use mains electricity, a bit like an extension lead, if you don't plug in, you can't get power out

The fridge has 3 settings, 12v when the engine is running only to keep it cold as you drive, 240v for when plugged in and gas, this is the setting you need to learn how to use. It's not like a fridge at home

- how can I tell if the fridge is on 12v and therefore maintaining temperature whilst I'm driving? On the older fridges, most of them had no way of showing if on 12v when driving. Just turn the dial to 12v and unless you have a meter to check the supply you will only know if it stays cold(ish)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh I missed out the 12v adapter bit. An inverter takes 12v and makes 240v but it uses a massive amount of battery power, you don't run a fridge or much else on them without multiple batteries and solar panels to recharge them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
flurominx

flurominx

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Pollensa
Exp
From top left clockwise
Water heater control, on/off and temperature. Always remove the cover outside over the flue

Master switch and guage. Press the button marked read to show water level, although they are notoriously useless. The little screw in the corner for setting allows you to get it to give you a base line when full. But the probes are not reliable to give an honest answer

Switch bank 1 lighting, 2 water pump, 3456 vary van to van but usually light circuits

when on battery I could only use lights and the TV. I couldn't use the plug sockets or use the fridge, is this normal? How would I keep the fridge cold, I'm guessing using gas? If I get a 12v adapter for the plug sockets would they work?
The plug sockets use mains electricity, a bit like an extension lead, if you don't plug in, you can't get power out

The fridge has 3 settings, 12v when the engine is running only to keep it cold as you drive, 240v for when plugged in and gas, this is the setting you need to learn how to use. It's not like a fridge at home

- how can I tell if the fridge is on 12v and therefore maintaining temperature whilst I'm driving? On the older fridges, most of them had no way of showing if on 12v when driving. Just turn the dial to 12v and unless you have a meter to check the supply you will only know if it stays cold(ish)
Thankyou so much this is really useful. Do you know if there's any way of testing how full my battery is ( say before heading out wild camping?)
I'm also going to see if I can get a photo of my fridge, I think I know which switch it is for 12v but no light of anything comes on....

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
This type of thing will give you an indication of the state of charge of your battery (s). Cheap and fairly accurate.
Screenshot_20210614-195303.png

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now I am not certain on that implementation of the gauge, but when not pressed for showing the water level, the gauge shows the battery voltage.

13.8v shows the battery is charging
12.8v is full no charge
12v and below is basically flat
10v and below, the battery is so discharged it is damaged

If not already done, change all the light "bulbs" as you would know them for LED replacements. Then your battery will last much longer off grid

OP
OP
flurominx

flurominx

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Pollensa
Exp
Now I am not certain on that implementation of the gauge, but when not pressed for showing the water level, the gauge shows the battery voltage.

13.8v shows the battery is charging
12.8v is full no charge
12v and below is basically flat
10v and below, the battery is so discharged it is damaged

If not already done, change all the light "bulbs" as you would know them for LED replacements. Then your battery will last much longer off grid
Ah, so I can see the voltage at the top now- I thought that the indicator on the gauge showed the water level, but you're saying it actually shows the level of charge the battery is at? You mentioned in your first reply about being able to use the screw to reset the level when water tank is full - but if I did this would it mess with my ability to Read the battery?
Sorry if that's a silly question, I really appreciate your help 🙂
Also are the bulbs universal? As in easy to find online and not specific to this model?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ah, so I can see the voltage at the top now- I thought that the indicator on the gauge showed the water level, but you're saying it actually shows the level of charge the battery is at? You mentioned in your first reply about being able to use the screw to reset the level when water tank is full - but if I did this would it mess with my ability to Read the battery?
Sorry if that's a silly question, I really appreciate your help 🙂
Also are the bulbs universal? As in easy to find online and not specific to this model?
re-calibrating the meter for water level does no effect the voltage reading

What you call bulbs are pretty much universal in motorhomes and caravans. G4 halogen type are most common for a van that age. You can buy 99p LEDs that will last a year or two or pay £10 for a brand name that may last 2-10years. Budget is always important, but some cheap LEDs "can" cause rf interference on some radios and tvs in the van

With LED replacements, like the G4 equivalent have 2 pins that you plug in. If the light won't work take it out and reverse the pins. One side is positive and LEDs only work one way round

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back