HELP Oil change warning on a New Citroen Relay Euro 6 (1 Viewer)

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
My new Citroen Relay based campervan (delivered March 2017) has done 2400 "easy" miles. This morning the oil light came on flashing with a "Change engine Oil" warning in words. The vehicle is not due a service and the oil level is fine. There is no obvious reason why the oil would have been contaminated. My main immediate concern is that the van may go into limp mode.
Anyone come across this ? I can't contact a main dealer today for advice.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The oil on a euro 5 or 6 should be in the middle of the stick between min and max. If its right at the top it may have been over filled or diluted with diesel from forced regeneration of the DPF.

Check the level and then smell the oil for a diesel smell.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If it's the same as the Ducato, the van has an oil degradation algorithm in its ECU which calculates the likely oil contamination based on number and type of DPF regens (successful/failed/duration, etc). "Easy" miles and/or a high ratio of idling or gentle runs compared to running for extended periods over 2000 rpm may mean that regenerations have been unable to start or failed to complete with resultant dilution of the oil by the excess fuel injected during the regen attempts. OTOH, it could be a spurious warning. The software doesn't actually know the physical condition of the oil, it's making a guesstimate based on its detected usage pattern of the vehicle.

You can reset the counter by plugging it in to diagnostic software. This needs to be done at each oil change, and the counter will start again irrespective of the actual condition of the oil. For the cost of an oil change though, I would renew the oil for peace of mind personally. These vans with DPFs need regular runs of at least 20-30 minutes duration at over 2000 rpm to allow regenerations to complete. Bearing in mind they possibly spend most of their running time idling or being shuffled slowly around converter's premises at the start of their life, a good run on initial delivery is not a bad idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My new Citroen Relay based campervan (delivered March 2017) has done 2400 "easy" miles. This morning the oil light came on flashing with a "Change engine Oil" warning in words. The vehicle is not due a service and the oil level is fine. There is no obvious reason why the oil would have been contaminated. My main immediate concern is that the van may go into limp mode.
Anyone come across this ? I can't contact a main dealer today for advice.

The oil change warning is basically a service light and it will come on after 12 months no matter what. This is basically because the recommendation is that the oil and filter be changed every 12 months even if the vehicle hasn't moved.

With a motorhome the date of delivery or even the date of conversion isn't relevant. It's entirely likely the base chassis is 12 months old or even more so as far as the ECU is concerned the oil needs changing.

It's fairly easy to switch the warning light off if you choose to ignore it. Just Google it.

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Thanks for the above helpful comments. The oil level is between the two marks slightly towards the upper one. It is clean still has a golden tinge and doesn't smell of diesel.
Of the 2400 covered 1100 were on a fast return trip to Taunton to see a certain Eddie and the rest were mainly touring on the West coast 500 route. I should perhaps have said "respectful" (to the engine) rather than "easy". It looks as if the limp mode only applies to the 3 litre engine (according to the handbook) but I an not aware that there is a three litre engine in this PSA engine range. I will speak to the converter and thereafter no doubt the supplying dealer tomorrow but so far my money would be on faulty electronics rather than an oil issue.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The oil change warning is basically a service light and it will come on after 12 months no matter what. This is basically because the recommendation is that the oil and filter be changed every 12 months even if the vehicle hasn't moved.
Not on a van with a DPF

Reactions: GSD
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the above helpful comments. The oil level is between the two marks slightly towards the upper one. It is clean still has a golden tinge and doesn't smell of diesel.
Of the 2400 covered 1100 were on a fast return trip to Taunton to see a certain Eddie and the rest were mainly touring on the West coast 500 route. I should perhaps have said "respectful" (to the engine) rather than "easy". It looks as if the limp mode only applies to the 3 litre engine (according to the handbook) but I an not aware that there is a three litre engine in this PSA engine range. I will speak to the converter and thereafter no doubt the supplying dealer tomorrow but so far my money would be on faulty electronics rather than an oil issue.

It may be an error on the ecu or a faulty sensor. You need to get it in to a main dealer for diagnostics.

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Now "sorted" by the base vehicle supplying main dealer. Apparently the computer was not correctly reset following the PDI but all seems OK now.

PaulieT63

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
citreon relay
It may be an error on the ecu or a faulty sensor. You need to get it in to a main dealer for diagnostics.
And pay Main Dealer extortion price.
There are You Tube videos and the reset is very simple and takes a minute.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back