Help! is this a dodgy call?????? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
It was a very plausible call, it will be interesting to see if he calls back. The telephone number he called from was 005209940056.

He knew my name, telephone number and licence key - how do they do that if they are just scammers????

Ginny

I've checked Paypal and no charge has been made.

Ginny

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks, everyone, it seems my day for scams, I have just received an email from Paypal telling me they have paid Skype £39.00 and if I dispute the charge I need to log into Paypal via their link. I've had this one before though and just deleted it straight away.

Ginny

I've also had the same, this scam has been going for years.
I think as a precaution, maybe change your passwords on sites you use.
And anyone who phones and says there's a problem with your PC is a scam/liar.
Hang up, or if you want a bit of fun let them ramble on, ask them to spell everything or Say you only speak Klingon now.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
A bit more on this....... "eventvwr"

Event Viewer, a component of Microsoft's Windows NT line of operating systems, lets administrators and users view the event logs on a local or remote machine. In Windows Vista, Microsoft overhauled the event system.[1] Due to the event viewer's routine reporting of minor start-up and processing errors (which do not in fact harm or damage the computer), the software is frequently used by technical support scammers to convince users unfamiliar with Event Viewer that their computer contains critical errors requiring immediate technical support.

Thanks Brian, now I think I understand! Mike says he will answer next time they call, (5 calls so far, so they are persistent!)

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
It was an hour of my life I wont get back but I had fun.

I like to string them along too. I think that last time it was someone saying they were from talktalk and that there was a problem with my router. I said how pleased I was that they had called as it wasn't my router but the actual internet connection. I went on a bit of a rant about how bad it was and how poor their service was. (No lies here - I had just upgraded to their fibre package and it was worse than their standard broadband). They ended up hanging up on me after a while.

I look at it that the call is costing them and while I'm on the phone to them they're not on the phone to someone who could be taken in by it.

Loads of similar reports here
Broken Link Removed

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Yes it is a scam.

After receiving repeated similar calls, possibly from India, saying I had a virus on my PC, I decided to play along, and without actually switching on my PC, pretended to follow his instructions.

After a lot of acting dumb, including him having to get his boss on the line, because I appeared to not understand what he was saying, and getting him to repeat what I should type in, I finally said “Yes, I have got something on my screen!”

When he asked what it was, I said “ If you get a call from someone telling you your PC has a virus, tell the Scamming Bar**rd that you are not interested!”

He shouted back “You Bas**rd!! I know where you live! I’ll be round to get you!”, and slammed the phone down.

He never arrived, but then it is a long way from Mumbai!

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Whenever we get a call supposedly from Microsoft suggesting something wrong with 'Windows' we usually try to explain that we have only recently had them replaced if they are saying they are substandard then why were we sold them as being the latest triple glazed , thermal saving etc etc they usually give up.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I had the same number call me at home whilst I was at home sorting out the burglary, so I was hyper cautious anyway, they actually were very aggressive in approach, not being in the best of moods anyway I told them where to go, they insisted they would have to charge me to get the PC back up and running I think about £360 however if I paid immediately I could get it reduced to around £280 I told them I didn't have a computer and they were insistant I did, so I gave them both barrells including the police were monitoring all my calls and if they knew where the computer was the police would be interested in speaking to them, which is very unlike me to be so rude however they haven't called back since.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Just Google the number, all of the look up sites give similar info Broken Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Any unsolicited calls like this I answer with "Hello, Microsoft fraud dept....................." Amazing how fast they disconnect.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back