Hello from Almeria, Spain - help needed ! (1 Viewer)

I

Indalo Man

Deleted User
Hi there

We live in Almeria, south east coast of Spain, and are just looking to purchase our first MH. We rented a MH this summer and travelled down to Gib and then up to Cadiz and beyond, and then returned to spend a week in Tarifa which was fabulous. We now have the bug and 'have to' buy soon. At present we are spending our weekends 'stalking' and observing the many MH's that have now arrived on the coast down here to bask in the 20 degree temps, and this must stop before we get arrested !!

I have just left a thread on the model specific section appealing for advice, as having trawled the websites for as much info as possible, based on our budget and lifestyle requirements {2 of us working full time in Spain but want to escape for long weekends and the odd 2 week break and see what Spain and the rest of Europe has to offer}. We are very smitten by the Hobby 600 {yrs 1989 to 1993} but can find no info or reviews on whether these are good, bad or indiffernet MH's and what peoples experiences have been. We are looking to buy 2nd hand and will probably travel to German, as there appear to be a wider selection of LHD as a whole there and certainly more Hobby's. I would welcome ANY comments, advice, thoughts or experience anyone has these MH's, anything on reliability, cost of parts, defects, or anything anyone has encountered. The more info the better and at the moment, I am finding it hard to get any feedback. They look great and seem good value, and for what we want which is weekend trips and the odd week travelling Spain they seem fine for the 2 of us and our dog !

As an alternative, we are looking at Hymer Camps, Hymer 544's and maybe a Dethleffs all around the 1993 age and budget around 8000 pounds max. Thanks for any help or advice you may have on Hobby 600's or the Hymers or others and any advice or comments about buying in Germany and how this went for people. Many thanks.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Indalo Man,
Hi. Not going to be much help with info on 199x Hobbys, Hymers and such. But I was wondering two things.

Have you looked at the local breeds (Benimar and Moncayo spring to mind - there may be others)?

Is there any other advantage to buying in Germany rather than locally?

I appreciate that the build quality of the German MH is superior to a lot of the other stuff, so maybe that answers my first query.:Smile:

John.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I know nothing about the motorhomes you fancy but I would have thought you could get a cheep one in Spain, I bought one there in 2002/3 and travelled from England to get it. I found it on the net.

Ralph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
as you live near Roquetas de Mar why not pop down there to the site just below El Parador and see what is there at present. Qute a few Brits winter there and we go there Jan -Mar.:Eeek: Better to see something there that you might like and pick the owners brains. We drive a converted commercial van (Known as a panel van) and find this ideal for touring. Good luck

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
motorhome

I would consider the tax when reregistering the van in Spain.

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Indalo Man. Don't know much about buying in Germany, but we've got a 1994 Hymer Camp 55 (imported in 2004 which we paid 10k for two years ago) and I couldn't recommed it highly enough!

Everything in the habitation area is solidly built and we've never really had a problem with anything. After 14 years and 96,000km (c. 60,000m) the engine is sound, and on MOTs and services, the guys always comment on how the Ducato chassis (which it is built on) of around this year are rock-solid.

We looked at some of the newer models of MH recently, and although everything was 'new and shiny', the fixtures and fittings just seemed flimsy by comarison. Although the engines were quieter...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back