Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack and I'm currently living in Cheshire.

I am planning on doing a van conversion. At the moment I am thinking about buying a high top Vauxhall Vivaro, Renault Trafic or a Nissan Primastar to convert. I understand these all feature the same body shape and I was impressed by the head room when I looked at a Vivaro.

I'm quite confident about the woodwork side of things, but less confident about the electrics. I've been doing a lot of research though and my understanding is getting there.

I'm looking forward to having a look around and joining in.

Thanks for looking!

Jack.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
hellowelcome Lots of people on here have done their own conversions so you’ll find lots of advice and tips. Good luck with your project.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello sunshine.

HHowlovely to see a young person. We need young blood.

PPlease stay and keep us updated with your motorhome adventure.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack and I'm currently living in Cheshire.

I am planning on doing a van conversion. At the moment I am thinking about buying a high top Vauxhall Vivaro, Renault Trafic or a Nissan Primastar to convert. I understand these all feature the same body shape and I was impressed by the head room when I looked at a Vivaro.

I'm quite confident about the woodwork side of things, but less confident about the electrics. I've been doing a lot of research though and my understanding is getting there.

I'm looking forward to having a look around and joining in.

Thanks for looking!

Jack.

Welcome to FUN

Have a look at@mangoforth thread. There's a project.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm off van shopping tomorrow. I'll let you know if I buy anything.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
No luck with the hunt for a van today. I wasn't quite prepared to get one a couple of weeks ago and there were about a dozen to choose from. Can't find a good one though at the moment. Hopefully one will turn up soon. ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Hi Jack.
Not literally ? when you have sorted your electrics you can come and sort mine. I just can’t understand electricity it so confusing you can’t see it.

Greetings peeps

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hi Jack.
Not literally ? when you have sorted your electrics you can come and sort mine. I just can’t understand electricity it so confusing you can’t see it.

Greetings peeps

I've far from sorted mine!

I have drawn a fairly detailed diagram for the 12v system I plan to build and have uploaded it onto another (USA based) forum. The kind peeps on there are currently debating the pros and cons of hooking up the fuse/grounding block directly to the battery or via the solar charge controller. I don't plan to bother with an inverter to create 240V for off grid. The only thing I'd want to run that would require a traditional plug would be a laptop and you can buy chargers for them with 12v cigar sockets. This is much more efficient that transforming 12v to 240v via an inverter and then a charger bringing it all back down again in the power brick on the charging lead anyway! So this simplifies things a little.

I've been reading up online and watching youtube videos forever. Still quite confusing though.

I have found this page quite helpful:

I wonder if people on here would be able to offer an opinion if I were to upload my diagram on this forum?

Good luck with yours, Vipar!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hello all. I'm back!

I ran out of free posts and had to put my conversion plans on hold anyway so I stopped posting for a while. But today I have paid a deposit on a van and will collect it next week! So I thought now was a good time to join again so I can share what I'm up to with you guys.

The van I've bought a 2013 Peugeot Boxer L3H2. The mechanic is doing a little work on it: two new back tyres, a new side door and fixing an issue with a air bag warning message on the dash. When that's done I'll be free to collect it.

I'm really excited to start the conversion now!! Should have plenty of time to do the work too because all of the pubs in the UK have been forced to close. (I'm an assistant manager in a pub.)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Congrats on your new van. As you say, time to do your conversion, then hopefully this all be over and you’ll be able to drive off to wherever you wish.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
So I paid the deposit and am still waiting for the work to be completed by the garage. In the meantime lock down has happened. Do you think I'd get away with traveling an hour and 15 minutes / 65 miles each way to collect it if stopped by the police?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back