Headlights... (1 Viewer)

mikethebike147

Free Member
Feb 26, 2018
Funster No
I'm hoping someone here will know... I have a Hymer B778 Premium Line that is 2 years old. It is 'euro' spec in as much as its LHD and started it's life in Germany before being sent to the UK where I bought it. However, as I spend much of my time in France I need to know if I can adjust the headlights to 'dip' the other way. I have heard tell that it's simply a matter of flicking a switch behind the headlights. Is this true? And if so is it easy? Can they be accessed by lifting the bonnet? Because if the lights have to come out then that would be a step to far for me I think! Cheers. Mike

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Photo of headlights??anything in the handbook?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, take the rubber cover off the rear of the dip lamp and move the lever.
As it is LHD you will be able to set it to kick up to the right (LHD mode) or for flat dipping. Most of us set them for flat dipping as it will then pass a UK MOT and be legal in all countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Are you sure it's dipping to the left now? AFAIK continental headlamps just dip straight ahead by default.

OP
OP
mikethebike147

mikethebike147

Free Member
Feb 26, 2018
Funster No
Blimey... this is a bit of a can of worms! I'm sorry to be a bit thick but I don't know which way they dip now. To be honest I don't think I've ever driven it at night!! Is there an easy way to tell? I had no idea there was some kind of 'neutral' position. It was I believe a demo model in Germany, then sent over to the UK where it was registered and I became the first owner. I am only assuming that, to make it comply with UK rules, the lights were set to dip to the left? Any advice much appreciated!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Position your van in front of a blank wall (not too close, 3 or 4 meters away ) wait till it's dark, then switch your headlights on. They will "project" their dip pattern onto the wall and all will be revealed !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If they have been set for the UK they will have been changed to flat dipping, if set for the continent they will kick up to the right.
All you need to do to check is drive it at night it will be obvious particularly on narrow roads. Or just point it at a wall or garage door.

OP
OP
mikethebike147

mikethebike147

Free Member
Feb 26, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for all replies. I have found the lever in question that changes the 'dipping'. It looks as though it's never been changed from LHD mode when it was imported, but I'm taking her out later in the week so will try it up against a wall so to speak. Then I'll know for sure if it's dipping flat or to the right. Lenny, I'll check out some of those links regarding your trips later, we do quite fancy going to Portugal after seeing a program on tv. If anyone (and I'm sure there'll be plenty) has any recommendations of places to visit and especially any good sites? The Mrs prefers sites to camping car places as she prefers to have the leccy lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back