Heading for Monaco

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Leaving Tues for 3 weeks heading for Monaco so any advise on places to see on the way down and back much appreciated, some of the national parks in the south of france look nice for some mountain biking and all other ideas most welcome

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
If you want to go into Monaco for a day trip, this is nice. They have a mini bus service that takes you to the train station. A cheap return ( I think it was €16 for a family of 4) plus €10 each way for the mini bus
It’s best to ring ahead though......
camping por la mar Ventimiglia, Latte, Italy

Also, St Tropez
https://www.camping-des-mures.com/
Ask if they have a pitch on the beach:)
Again, book in advance ;)
Catch the frequent bus either to St Tropez or St Maxime, or ride into either.....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
If you want to go into Monaco for a day trip, this is nice. They have a mini bus service that takes you to the train station. A cheap return ( I think it was €16 for a family of 4) plus €10 each way for the mini bus
It’s best to ring ahead though......
camping por la mar Ventimiglia, Latte, Italy

Yeah can also recommend, stopped here last year great service after the recommendation from @chaser (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
Interesting time to visit Monaco.
Are you going for the Grand Prix?

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
No not going for the Grand Prix just heading on down that way and will take a couple of days to look around Monaco as never been we have no agenda we will just see what takes our fancy each day, some of the national parks above Monaco look nice so will drive up there and spend a few days exploring on out ebikes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Eze up in the mountains with the overview of Monaco is worthy of looking up on google and is one of Frances most beautiful villages.
Grasse is supposed to be a stunner and somehown I haven't it done it yet.
There are plenty of clues (gorges) and lakes and rivers worthy of a stop. Sillans, lac de st Croix , the gorges du verdon, lac castillon, esparron.
I fly back to Geneva on Friday morning heading to the ardeche for a few days before (hopefully) having the weather to spend the night up mt ventoux on 16th 17th 18th but on the 19th at Banon (another beautiful village) there is an international cheese festival but in order to get in to the aire probably got to be there on 18th in the morning. It looks like a bit of a p*** up with cheese.
Port Grimaud if doing the coast but I would stay away from St Tropez town and hit Ramatuelle end of Pampelonne beach and the bit down to Hyeres is nice.

I stick up photos on the inside out thread on chat and photo of the day thread, in case we are nearby to each other if you so wished. Or you may wish to avoid me like the plague !

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
And which way are you thinking of going and how long to get down there to give you some idea of decent overnight spots

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
going to use the motorways to just get down there then do what we fancy once there and come back on all the national roads doing a bit at a time I think

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
going to use the motorways to just get down there then do what we fancy once there and come back on all the national roads doing a bit at a time I think
I have a map on google maps of all the beautiful villages, the aires, my stopping points and other points of interest if youre interested. I can probably share it somehow

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Nice stop in Langres, small campsite literally on the old town walls, short walk into town for loads of places to eat and get a drink.
camping Navarre, in the foreground of this picture. a few miles off the motorway. about 5 1/2 to 6 hours from the shuttle terminal.
1462865505_Langres-Eurociel-Gerard-Corret_zoom.jpg

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a map on google maps of all the beautiful villages, the aires, my stopping points and other points of interest if youre interested. I can probably share it somehow
That would be very handy have you any idea how you could share it

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
If you’re in the area I can definitely say it’s worth a trip to Ventimiglia. Particularly on market day (don’t know which days though).

We went in by train from Monaco, very easy to do.

Bought some fantastic Parmesan cheese there, much cheaper than U.K. supermarkets and of course it lasts forever...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
That would be very handy have you any idea how you could share it
Nope. Only got a phone atm so will have a look and pm what details I need or whatever it is to do or I LL work it out at work tomorrow

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Success !

moulin 87

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Each autumn we meander around that corner of France, and would never bother going down to the coast... If you're coming down via Dijon, Lyon etc take a few days or a week or three to meander across through some spectacular national parks of France and go up and down some of the most iconic climbs of the Tour de France.

Vercors, fantastic... Ecrins, do a complete circuit including some of the small roads which head to the centre.. You can walk to the glaciers, follow in the footsteps of Geraint Thomas up the Alpe D'Huez, Galibier etc.... Alpes de Hautes Provence, magnificent... then the Gorges of Verdun with the Griffon Vultures, Gorges du Loup etc.

Afterwards you'll find the coast a bit of a let down...

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
If you're coming down via Dijon, Lyon etc take a few days or a week or three to meander across through some spectacular national parks of France and go up and down some of the most iconic climbs of the Tour de France.

Vercors, fantastic... Ecrins, do a complete circuit including some of the small roads which head to the centre.. You can walk to the glaciers, follow in the footsteps of Geraint Thomas up the Alpe D'Huez, Galibier etc.... Alpes de Hautes Provence, magnificent... then the Gorges of Verdun with the Griffon Vultures, Gorges du Loup etc.

Afterwards you'll find the coast a bit of a let down...

@moulin 87 Are all these small roads and switchbacks etc through the gorges and parks ok to drive in a 7.5 mtr motorhome

moulin 87

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
@moulin 87 Are all these small roads and switchbacks etc through the gorges and parks ok to drive in a 7.5 mtr motorhome

We're at 7.65 and it was fine. Take your time going up hill and down and remember they are used to MHs going anywhere and everywhere. The 'dead end' road we took to the glaciers seemed to be getting a little narrow the further we went but when we got to the end there was parking for 1000+ cars, never mind coaches and MHs. I'll see if I can post a photo or two..

moulin 87

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
P1000273.JPG

One of the glaciers in the Ecrins National Park
P1000290.JPG

Photo of Mont Blanc, perhaps 80 - 100 kms away, taken from the top of the Col du Galibier which is itself close to 9000 feet.
If the weather's kind you won't bother with the coast..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back