Hartal lock broken 2010 Swift Sundance 580 pr (1 Viewer)

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, we are having a problem with the lock on our habitation door. Unable to unlock using key or interior handle. Having done some research we think it's a broken spring, which would be fixable if we could see where the spring is located. I have attached a picture of the mechanism. Would anyone happen to have a picture of the working lock for comparison?

We have been in touch with our local motorhome dealer who have said the lock is obsolete and have quoted eye watering prices to replace the door!!
IMG-20220510-WA0005(1).jpg

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My lock is similar but certainly not the same. I had a circlip snap at the back of the key barrel that caused a similar problem but I was able to us the cental locking.

Does the central locking actuator try to operate the lock mechanism.
If it does have a look at the spring in the top right of your photo, there will be a cam shaped piece of plastic or steel that triggers the mechanism. To state the obvious you need to find that.
With me it was a case of slowly stripping down and photograph every single stage of the process, as you will not remember where it all goes.
Good luck.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like something from the Krypton factor! :oops:

OP
OP
AnnK

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
My lock is similar but certainly not the same. I had a circlip snap at the back of the key barrel that caused a similar problem but I was able to us the cental locking.

Does the central locking actuator try to operate the lock mechanism.
If it does have a look at the spring in the top right of your photo, there will be a cam shaped piece of plastic or steel that triggers the mechanism. To state the obvious you need to find that.
With me it was a case of slowly stripping down and photograph every single stage of the process, as you will not remember where it all goes.
Good luck.
Thanks we will have a look, we think there is a spring missing, which is why we could do with someone having a picture of a working lock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AnnK

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
Looks like something from the Krypton factor! :oops:
Tell me about it, according to our habitation check guy, it's a common problem but it's like the secret service getting the info to fix it. Swift just say it's obsolete and the motorhome dealer says it will be £3750 to put a new door on 😒

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If a spring has broken or dislodged it or parts of it will be in the mechanism somewhere.
That's why it needs slow and careful dismantling.
I cannot believe that it cannot be fixed even if you have to make or repair the problem part.
I believe that the dealers and other habitation people can't afford the time to do what is needed.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Maybe the C/L has stopped in the locked position, does it try to move when using C/L unlock?

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Maybe a locksmith might help worth a call to one if they can help...
🍻

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mines failed a couple of times now, so stripped the door skin off and managed to fix it no problem. It’s usually one of the runners for the mechanism that’s popped out when the doors slammed shut. Mine different to yours, but same principle.

Isn’t there anyone who has a little mechanical knowledge who can look at it for you.

This is the same as mine….

8EB4D1BF-A4E6-4017-BCCC-3D0CA20599B3.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I know this state’s caravan breakers, but they also list motorhomes and besides, caravans have hab doors too, so might be worth a try to call and chat with them.

OP
OP
AnnK

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
If a spring has broken or dislodged it or parts of it will be in the mechanism somewhere.
That's why it needs slow and careful dismantling.
I cannot believe that it cannot be fixed even if you have to make or repair the problem part.
I believe that the dealers and other habitation people can't afford the time to do what is needed.
That's what we think, Dan is going to try taking it apart, taking photos as he goes.
Maybe the C/L has stopped in the locked position, does it try to move when using C/L unlock?
We don't think it's the C/L as we have found where the spring is.
Maybe a locksmith might help worth a call to one if they can help...
🍻
We thought of this and we have a couple of good local ones so might give them a try to.
Mines failed a couple of times now, so stripped the door skin off and managed to fix it no problem. It’s usually one of the runners for the mechanism that’s popped out when the doors slammed shut. Mine different to yours, but same principle.

Isn’t there anyone who has a little mechanical knowledge who can look at it for you.

This is the same as mine….

View attachment 616624
Thank you for the photo, Dan is quite mechanically minded, we were just clutching at straws that there might be someone with the same lock who had a photo. I think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and give it a go, taking photos at each step.
I know this state’s caravan breakers, but they also list motorhomes and besides, caravans have hab doors too, so might be worth a try to call and chat with them.

Will give them a call, thanks.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, we are having a problem with the lock on our habitation door. Unable to unlock using key or interior handle. Having done some research we think it's a broken spring, which would be fixable if we could see where the spring is located. I have attached a picture of the mechanism. Would anyone happen to have a picture of the working lock for comparison?

We have been in touch with our local motorhome dealer who have said the lock is obsolete and have quoted eye watering prices to replace the door!!
The spring broke in the hab door lock of our 2010 swift Sundance last year
This thread may help you:

OP
OP
AnnK

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
The spring broke in the hab door lock of our 2010 swift Sundance last year
This thread may help you:
Thank you so much for this, one of the pictures we think is the one we are looking for. I had searched before but not just for habitation door.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thank you so much for this, one of the pictures we think is the one we are looking for. I had searched before but not just for habitation door.
I’ve asked a question for the modified spring they fitted, to see if it could be done without stripping the mechanism down.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at Lusky's photo (left) it looks like it goes on the little slotted piece of metal and then hooks over somewhere near the screw on the right, your photo on the right:
door lock 2.jpg
door lock 1.jpg

OP
OP
AnnK

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
Looking at Lusky's photo (left) it looks like it goes on the little slotted piece of metal and then hooks over somewhere near the screw on the right, your photo on the right:
View attachment 616784 View attachment 616785
Just an update, we had to wait for Amazon to deliver the springs, but spring now back in place as per the red arrow in the photograph (no dismantling of the lock required, thank goodness) and it's back working, yeah 😀

Once again, the collective mind of this wonderful forum has come to the rescue 👍Thank you very much 🥰

Ann-Marie & DannyKus x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back