Handheld GPS recommendations. (1 Viewer)

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I looked into this last year and found that i could load maps onto my phone and then the phone used GPS to show where I was so not restricted to access to phone signal.
The problem I had was finding a reasonable priced OS map that was not on a yearly subscription.
I use maps.me for offline mapping on the phone (iOS & Android available). Not OS quality/details but it showed us the footpath across various fields to the pub so worked for what I wanted it for, plus it's free and I can load the .kml POIs I've created on it for sites etc.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My 2p
Memory Map has lots of import & export formats. Using the MM propriety format is optional but as *.mmo doesn't work on any (most?) Sat Nav & GPSr, users can switch to, for example, *.gpx for the import of tracks & export of routes/POI.

For batteries in a GPSr I DO recommend using rechargeable batteries. Modern AA/AAA rechargeable like Sanyo Eneloop or GP Recyko, etc. do have good performance & store well with great charge retention.
Their charge retention is good enough that they're sold charged ready for use :)

Remember that with the GPSr you are gaining a device that has e z battery replacement ;)
I started with Memory-Map because it seemed the best at the time (late 1990's) and invested a lot in maps and building-up a collection of walks. The .mmo format is rich in features that .gpx cannot support and there's no easy way to convert them. It's an expensive way to go, compared to Garmin's BaseCamp, so I'd no longer recommend that. You can get OpenStreetMap free or very cheap - not as detailed as OS but it covers the whole world should you wander further afield.
Just checked the batteries: Garmin used Ni-MH batteries which were around £30 and didn't hold their charge. Newer technologies may work better but I always used fresh AA and took a spare pair (never needed) "just in case". If you need GPS, you shouldn't be taking risks. Always get downloaded maps if you want them on the GPS - you cannot be guaranteed a mobile signal when up in the hills!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I am grateful for all the incoming info.
Just to highlight some of the conditions I will use it in and why I want reliability I include a photo from the Cairngorms just before lockdown.
This highlights how conditions can deteriorate quite quickly.
11093F77-0105-4628-ADD6-D0D4EBD27D6E.jpeg
2FF91551-A45E-4F08-98BF-424227B2520E.jpeg

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I started with Memory-Map because it seemed the best at the time (late 1990's) and invested a lot in maps and building-up a collection of walks. The .mmo format is rich in features that .gpx cannot support and there's no easy way to convert them. It's an expensive way to go, compared to Garmin's BaseCamp, so I'd no longer recommend that. You can get OpenStreetMap free or very cheap - not as detailed as OS but it covers the whole world should you wander further afield.
Just checked the batteries: Garmin used Ni-MH batteries which were around £30 and didn't hold their charge. Newer technologies may work better but I always used fresh AA and took a spare pair (never needed) "just in case". If you need GPS, you shouldn't be taking risks. Always get downloaded maps if you want them on the GPS - you cannot be guaranteed a mobile signal when up in the hills!
:eek: I wasn't sending Funsters off to use Garmin's overpriced & under-performing Nimh battery pack. :rofl:
I use rechargeables everywhere I can to stop the binning of dead one use alkalines. (y) :)

I name checked two of several newer battery tech makes that will give you a full day's use easily. Alkalines may last, what, 1/2 a day longer? :think:
Ballpark, a fully charged at start GP Recyko is 10 to 14 hours
New alkalines range 12 to 18hrs, right?

Testing conditions = routing on, track saving on with just random screen use, battery save on, screen as bright as needed - no more

Old Memory Map software may've had poor support of the device neutral *.gpx route & track file format but today you would have to be adding a lot of supplementary TEXT info to what is in a Memory Map overlay to realise you're saving as *.gpx instead of *.mmo
Source: https://support.memory-map.com/860624-Memory-Map-file-extensions-explained

I only persist with the mmo format where I want to separate device ready routes from "work in progress" and even if I forget* I have not been caught short.
*- MM now remembers the last file format used & does not revert back to *.mmo :eek: That is good to know :LOL:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
One feature on the Garmin and may be on other device's is you can backtrack
Navigating back down the correct path can be harder than it sound's
It is very easy to follow the wrong path off the top of a hill in poor visibility

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I am grateful for all the incoming info.
Just to highlight some of the conditions I will use it in and why I want reliability I include a photo from the Cairngorms just before lockdown.
This highlights how conditions can deteriorate quite quickly.
Just to refer back to my earlier post, if you are worried you may be caught out then do go with the emergency contact option. Does not rely on phone signal or GPS. Direct contact to rescue services in the event of an accident I would not be without it when walking alone in the wilds.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
When I was fit and healthy before my injury’s I was always on the mountains with a few lads enjoying or even Woking on some of the most stunning ranges in the world 🌎 map and compass was all I had 🧭. Apart from the sat phone in my backpack 🎒 to update orders 👍😷🥃
I have 2 bens I view from my back garden. And I can’t go on them 🥲

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I always carry a map and compass in the mountains, but have Garmin in my daysack in case it all goes wrong.
I've probably only used it twice in the last 5 years, both times in appalling weather to check routes.

My Garmin running watch has maps on it! but I wouldn't fancy trying to follow it.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Contact your local search and rescue club. Ask for there advice can’t beat the professionals. I know that they are volunteers

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Would it be possible to repurpose a golf GPS? I have a snooper golf pro in the cupboard I will have to investigate🤔

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I always carry a map and compass in the mountains, but have Garmin in my daysack in case it all goes wrong.
I've probably only used it twice in the last 5 years, both times in appalling weather to check routes.

My Garmin running watch has maps on it! but I wouldn't fancy trying to follow it.
I always carry a Garmin, but have an OS map of the area in my daysack - and 1 or 2 pairs of spare AA batteries :)
The map can be easier to show others in the group the route - or for in emergencies (not yet needed). :)

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We love our walking and are thinking of treating ourselves to a handheld GPS.
This will not be an inexpensive purchase as it will certainly need OS 1:2500 mapping.
We would also like it to incorporate European mapping to help with walks when we finally return across the Channel.
For anyone who has been up in the mountains when cloud descends will understand our need for one.
I know people will mention using a smartphone but I really need something that will work off satellites when there is no phone signal.
Any information will help us to make a decision and narrow the field.
Thankyou
Graham
Hi Graham. Recently purchased a Dual Skypro GPS. 10hr battery and can connect to a number of devices simultaneously. Excellent piece of kit.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Graham, old fashioned Garmin Gpx60 for me, rechargeable plus spares, button controls, can be read in bright sunshine, can record trail for return leg. Use Talky Toaster maps for UK plus OS paper map. For Spain and Portugal use OSM MTB bike trails. Load maps onto Garmin base camp on PC then copy maps to GPS via USB. For example the MTB map for the Sierra Helada is very good.
Must say that mine is mainly used for Geocaching now but is way more accurate than any of the smart phones I've had.
Cheers, Mike

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
we use our iPhones with the appropriate app and more recently combined withan apple watch for both cycling and golf.
short story; my 5 year old dedicated sky caddie golf watch battery started to fail - bought and then returned 3 top of the range dedicated golf watches for various reasons. Bought the Apple watch which was around what I would have paid for a dedicated watch but this also takes my ECG, blood oxygen level, steps, fitness, weather, flags up messages, contactless payments etc etc etc. I am really pleased with it. Ditto for cycling routes and hiking - you can also save your routes plus all the stats about elevation etc. Very much worth looking at - the iPhone, the 'watch' is an aded bonus.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I tried a few hand held GPS's too in the past, then moved on to memory map pre-iphone, purchasing maps for the whole country.
In the last 10 years or so I have been very happy with viewranger on iPhone or Android phones. Rather than getting an annual subscription I have used credit packs - so far since 2012, with extensive travel use, I have only bought a total of 1800 credits - 400 credit cost about £5.99 - so only a few £ a year.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Many thanks for all the replies.
After much research I bit the bullet and opted for a Garmin Montan 700 with full OS 1:25k mapping.
It wasn’t cheap but I have been testing it out on routes around the South Downs and it is an amazing piece of kit.
Looking forward to getting back out to Wales and Scotland where it will really get put through its paces.
47 European countries included in the mapping so all sorted for when we finally get back over the water.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Many thanks for all the replies.
After much research I bit the bullet and opted for a Garmin Montan 700 with full OS 1:25k mapping.
It wasn’t cheap but I have been testing it out on routes around the South Downs and it is an amazing piece of kit.
Looking forward to getting back out to Wales and Scotland where it will really get put through its paces.
47 European countries included in the mapping so all sorted for when we finally get back over the water.
Nice GPSr (y)
I didn’t know full OS 1:25k mapping was offered by Garmin.
Mostly because I’ve not had to look passed Broken Link Removed maps.
I’d need to look at a demo map from Garmin but expect TT’s OS like maps with 1:25k detail will be a better option we’re budget is a factor.

Is the Garmin OS 1:25k raster or vector based?

TalkyToaster are vector based so you can zoom in all the way. 👍🏻

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Very nice (y)
Thats the new or updated version of the 610 I have ,I think.. one of the largest screens available in a handheld GPS...and good battery life..
I bought a spare rechargable lithium for mine just as security..
Andy

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Very nice (y)
Thats the new or updated version of the 610 I have ,I think.. one of the largest screens available in a handheld GPS...and good battery life..
I bought a spare rechargable lithium for mine just as security..
Andy
I also ordered the spare rechargeable lithium.
We have been out when conditions changed dramatically and for us a belt and braces approach as we are no longer spring chickens.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Nice GPSr (y)
I didn’t know full OS 1:25k mapping was offered by Garmin.
Mostly because I’ve not had to look passed Broken Link Removed maps.
I’d need to look at a demo map from Garmin but expect TT’s OS like maps with 1:25k detail will be a better option we’re budget is a factor.

Is the Garmin OS 1:25k raster or vector based?

TalkyToaster are vector based so you can zoom in all the way. 👍🏻
The OS is is Topo so vector based.👍

cristinaragla

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
I have been using the portable Garmin Oregon 700 for a long time now. Really great and convenient device. It is inexpensive;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back