Gorilla glue you know where you can stick it (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Actually I really like this glue. But this is what I've just to writ to them:

"Please put the vital instructions on your gorilla glue superglue bottle somewhere a lot more sensible than on the BACK of the label. I've just stuck the item together using the front instructions that say dampen and stick but the back say the back of the *sticky!!* label is full of instructions. For goodness sake."​

My OH and I spent several minutes trying to see where the extended instructions were and they include:

1. .. Lightly dampen one surface with water
(the glue won't cure otherwise)
2. While curing the glue will expand 3-4 times.
3. Grip objects together for 1-2 hours

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Me too. Like gillandphil said, I used 2-3 bottles of superglue (at a lot of expense) over some years and I had no idea they needn't moisture to cure, I thought it was hopeless stuff!

I’ve never had much luck with any kind of ‘super glue’, maybe I’m not doing something right, but my all-time favourite is Araldite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Well knock me down with a feather! I've never read the instructions and learned LOADS from this thread. Thank you.

But you are a Lady, you're meant to read instructions!

Us mere men aren't expected to?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I don't see a youtube link in this thread. I think, although a) I'm admittedly pretty glueless about sticky stuff and b) I've mislaid the part of the instructions I had yesterday and that describe how nasty the stuff is if that it's called diiicyonate or something simliar. But looking at the GG site this is the glue I've been taking about:

I see it says it's a "Polyurethane Adhesive". I'm sorry I think I was wrong in saying this is superglue and hildweller was right in saying I was talking of PU glue. Whatever it is I really like it!

I don’t think that’s the super glue just the normal gorilla glue vidio on utube

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It can make a mess as it expands but its brilliant for sticking things that are otherwise unglueable, in our garden the concrete birdbath and fountain are stuck together and also to concrete slabs with gorilla glue. It is not to be confused with superglue which is only useful for sticking your fingers together.

Because it expands it can be useful to seal around things. I used it on the motorhome to seal around the wires leading to the gas level indicators which otherwise would have left an air passage from the gas locker to the interior, which I'm sure would have been a bad thing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's also brilliant for filling holes in wood that have been stripped by a wood screw. They need to be left for a few days though so it gets past the 'chewy' stage before replacing the screw.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
If your wood joints are tight then Titebond is the stuff I use on guitars and my other wood projects. The wood breaks before the bond gives!

Cyanoacrylate, 'super glue,' is great for making temporary bonds. Stick some wide masking tape to one surface, stick wide masking tape to the other surface then use CA glue to stick the two bits of masking tape together. Holds well enough for planing or routing and can then be pulled apart when you want. Great for sticking routing templates down.

CA glue also needs moisture to cure but it gets that from your finger or from the air......

Oct 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner City Car.
Exp
35 years
I’ve become a fan of a 24 hour epoxy called JB Weld. It takes a lot longer than Araldite (also an epoxy) to set but it’s significantly stronger.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks you've just given me an idea for a kitchen cupboard fix!

It's also brilliant for filling holes in wood that have been stripped by a wood screw. They need to be left for a few days though so it gets past the 'chewy' stage before replacing the screw.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
3liqvmwdb4341.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!