Google maps for France? (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Kontikki
Hi all. Are Google maps sufficient for travel in France or do we really need a sat nav? We are not technically savvy šŸ˜‚

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I use it all the time without any issues, mostly in the car. With a MoHo you'll have the same potential issues there as you do in the UK with narrow roads and low bridges, but so far I've never been significantly inconvenienced. If you speak any French brace yourself for some of the pronunciation.

Upvote 1
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Iā€™m in France and using co pilot on an iPad with external gps, could also use on iPhone.

I found google maps a nightmare diverting me down narrow lanes to save half a mile (or much less), you also need to use data or download areas as my maps in advance.

Co pilot can be fully offline and the speed limit warnings are great as the limits on rural roads and towns change from 90, 80, 70, 50, 40 and 30 sometimes with little by way of signs. I also find the lane guidance more helpful than google maps.

I bought the motorhome / caravan version for vehicle dimensions, the car version would probably have been as good at less cost.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Personally I'd get a sat nav.

Google maps are fine for short A to B type journeys, but they are designed for cars.
A proper sat nav for motorhomes will tell you a lot more, such as avoiding low bridges (Rouen!!!!, google it), weights and speeds.

It also saves you using up your EU Roaming allowance, which now we have left the party means for UK mobile phone owners is becoming smaller and more expensive month by month.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
and dont foregt to download google maps to your device so you dont have to rely on wifi signal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Roadlords (phone app) can work well. It can be configured for m/home size. Like all sat/navs it can infuriate when you discover the torturous route you've slavishly followed saved you ten yards or 30 seconds.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Google maps loves a short cut to save a few yards. We are in France at the moment and we have had more than a few "you must be having a laugh" moments with using Google maps.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Used to use a Garmin with traffic but gave it up for Google. Just be sensible with it as in donā€™t follow turn instructions if theyā€™re leading you down a narrow lane in order to save 2 mins. You can preview your journey in advance. Good thing is you can set route options to Toll or non-Toll which is handy if you want to avoid the toll roads. However, depends how quickly you want to get to your destination as journey times could be an hour apart with non-tolls.

Upvote 0

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Personally I'd get a sat nav.

Google maps are fine for short A to B type journeys, but they are designed for cars.
A proper sat nav for motorhomes will tell you a lot more, such as avoiding low bridges (Rouen!!!!, google it), weights and speeds.

It also saves you using up your EU Roaming allowance, which now we have left the party means for UK mobile phone owners is becoming smaller and more expensive month by month.
O2 are not charging any extra for the EU roaming , staying as is pre brexit .

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Iā€™m in France and using co pilot on an iPad with external gps, could also use on iPhone.

I found google maps a nightmare diverting me down narrow lanes to save half a mile (or much less), you also need to use data or download areas as my maps in advance.

Co pilot can be fully offline and the speed limit warnings are great as the limits on rural roads and towns change from 90, 80, 70, 50, 40 and 30 sometimes with little by way of signs. I also find the lane guidance more helpful than google maps.

I bought the motorhome / caravan version for vehicle dimensions, the car version would probably have been as good at less cost.
We have the car version of copilot that we used in the car before we bought our van and it does tend to take us down little roads so your motorhome version is a better option.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
O2 are not charging any extra for the EU roaming , staying as is pre brexit .
Very good point raised here re roaming charges. Thatā€™s the last thing you want to be paying (potentially on top of toll charges). Re the navigation, it is a question of each to their own. I use Google everyday for work with an annual mileage of 100,000 miles and have tried every other option out there including Waze and Sat Navs so feel very comfortable with it. I fully accept that for some a dedicated Sat Nav might be the way to go. Would also recommend investing in an e-movis Toll tag since this can be a huge time saver.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Funster No
I like to use an Aguri sat nav where I can input the dimensions of the Moho soI know I can get wherever it takes me. Not been let down in 7 years of use with 2 different vans.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Google maps loves a short cut to save a few yards. We are in France at the moment and we have had more than a few "you must be having a laugh" moments with using Google maps.
We did tooā€¦took us into some very small villages instead of around them on the decent roads. Now we always use a bloody great map book, highlight the route and roads then use the sat nav or Google maps as a back up.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its always a necessity to have a fair degree of tolerance, patience, along with a sense of humour when using any sat nag tools. Use paper maps to plan our journey, look out for road signs then the sat nags as a back up.
When in France this is always handy to have on your play list, I always think of it, and sing along.
Les

Upvote 1

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Here are a couple of roads that Google maps decided to take us along this morning.
One was 7Km long and luckily we didn't meet anything coming the other way.

1653307922777.png

1653308026933.png

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We use google maps but also have a paper (book) map on hand to get an overview. We also have maps.me on the phone (offline downloaded maps) and the Pioneer Satnav in the vehicle. Belts and Braces!!!

To be honest though - I wouldn't miss the sat nav - happy with google/maps.me

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
We use a pretty basic Garmin satnav and normally treat all routes with a fair degree of scepticism but were caught off-guard in Spain earlier this year and ended up going over a single track, rough, mountain pass because, by the time we could see what was happening, there was absolutely nowhere to turn round. Genuinely scary in places but got away with it eventually. Funny in hindsight but not to be repeated!

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
France as well as Austria and Switzerland have many 3.5t weight restrictions, which Google maps doesn't take into account. In France, (not so sure about the other two countries), these restrictions apply to commercial vehicles, and not to "camping cars", which is why I prefer to use my Sat Nav, as I can adjust my weight (or profile) accordingly. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I'm French resident and you are quite right; they use the 3.5t limit a lot for speed restrictions, access and the like. I don't think it only applies to commercials though. If you are over 3.5t it means you too although most camping cars do come in under this figure. I need to do some research on the Poids Total AuthorisƩ en Charge (PTAC) defined in the Certificate d"Immatriculation (or Carte Gris as it used to be called) which is the equivalent of a V5 I suppose.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
varaizian. Often a village which has an Aire and/or campsite, will show signage of a 3.5t weight limit, such as these examples below.

1653417606015.png

1653417666343.png

1653417798561.png

These restrictions do not preclude us from accessing the Aire or Campsite.
If camping cars were to be restricted access to the facilities, would the signage not look like this?

1653418392359.png

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Hello Jock,
I'm familiar with the signs like the first 2 which basically mean "except locals" or "local traffic only" so would indeed permit a visit to the aire or campsite but I have never seen the one with a stylised box truck. I have unfortunately seen signs like the last one in places where they simply want to exclude camping cars. Arcachon seems to have them everywhere near the seafront.
I've looked up the PTAC stuff but it is not relevant to this topic.
Regards

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back