Going to be "Full-timing" for 1.5 years, seeking insurance recommendations (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
Hi all,

Newbie here to the forums, hi :)

My wife and I are planning a 1.5 year career break to travel the UK and Europe, we've secured an Etrusco T 7.3 SCF motorhome for pick-up next year and I'm looking at insurance options. Was curious where other full-time travellers have gone for their insurance and how much you're paying annually, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and look forward to getting involved here!

Cheers,
Jonny

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You'll be very limited for full time insurance. As far as I know you will need to use a broker - either Comfort or AIB. No idea of how much it costs but have read on hear previously to expect 4 figures!

OP
OP
J
Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
You'll be very limited for full time insurance. As far as I know you will need to use a broker - either Comfort or AIB. No idea of how much it costs but have read on hear previously to expect 4 figures!
Thanks! Yes I'm not expecting it to be cheap, hoping it'll be the lower 4-figures than higher though! I've seen Comfort so I'll have a chat with them and see what they come back with... fingers crossed...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Last time I looked only Comfort did proper fulltiming insurance. Didn't know about AIB.

OP
OP
J
Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
I should also edit this; after looking at other posts I will still have a permanent home that we'll rent out so I don't know if this will change things slightly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
Called Comfort, spoke to a really helpful rep who gave me an estimate of just over £2k for the year. Fully insured and includes breakdown and legal, expensive but was in the region of what I'd budgeted so it was a bit of a relief that it wasn't heaps more! Will try AIB as well just to get a comparison.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I should also edit this; after looking at other posts I will still have a permanent home that we'll rent out so I don't know if this will change things slightly.
Yes, it will.
It makes a great deal of difference in your favour.

It means you have a permanent address, which makes life a lot easier as you can 'prove' you live somewhere.
You don't need to tell the doctor, the vote registration, the bank etc that you have moved out temporally .

Just make sure you tenants know what to do with your post.
(Such as leave them a pile of envelopes, each one with a £5 note in it and a date for them to send you all mail on the 1st of every month)

I have an ex brother in law who has not lived in the UK since the 1990's but still has his bank, doctor, vote, etc all registered to our holiday home in the UK. He visits once or twice a year

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

As others have said, only Comfort and AIB do 'proper' fulltiming insurance - and both are underwritten by Aviva. NFU used to (and may still) do fulltiming insurance but not for new customers I believe.

I'd suggest checking with both Comfort and AIB exactly what their definition of fulltiming is. When I was fulltiming, Comfort specified that even if you still owned a house you would be classed as fulltiming or long-term touring unless you could produce a current utility bill as proof of actual residence. So still owning a house may not result in a lower premium. There is an old (2012) thread that might be useful - post #7 quotes Comfort's definition of fulltiming at that time:

OP
OP
J
Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
Hi and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

As others have said, only Comfort and AIB do 'proper' fulltiming insurance - and both are underwritten by Aviva. NFU used to (and may still) do fulltiming insurance but not for new customers I believe.

I'd suggest checking with both Comfort and AIB exactly what their definition of fulltiming is. When I was fulltiming, Comfort specified that even if you still owned a house you would be classed as fulltiming or long-term touring unless you could produce a current utility bill as proof of actual residence. So still owning a house may not result in a lower premium. There is an old (2012) thread that might be useful - post #7 quotes Comfort's definition of fulltiming at that time:

Thanks Maz, the rep from Comfort confirmed as much - I won't be able to use my home as residence if I'm renting so they'll class me as "fulltiming", so no lower premium unfortunately. Appreciate the link to the older post, will take a look.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Caravan club do 365 day cover for MH,but longstay insurance medical etc is valid for 1 year and then they wont insure you as classed as been out of country for more than 6months,the next option is backpacker insurance. Check your house insurance ,idoubt wether the renters would be keen to still have you as living there on yhe electoral role ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back