Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
ok

Silly question time

With the do we or don't we buy a MH debate, we keep coming up with the same sticking point

What happens when you want to go off site?, with a youngster especially, we are concerned that as time goes on it is going to cause issues

How easy do you find it to go off and find places to park your motorhomes? (if you have not had your partner drive seperately) I know this will not refer to any of you RVers as surely you always need another mode of transpprt or be very organised before you leave home.

We have found so far that we have always had at least one trip off site on our weekends away and only have the TT that is obviously very simple

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We find that going off site requires another vehicle.

If you've got a smallish car (like a micra for instance) it isn't a problem as these can be easily towed using an "A" FRAME.

You are correct, when you say that some places are inaccessible due to the growing use of height restriction barriers.

If long term stay we Pitch up, set up the awning and use the other car.

Otherwise no awning or drive-away one used.

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
When we go off site we either use our bikes, walk or use the local public transport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
thanks guys

Folding camper is up for sale on Pre Loved site, although lots on there and none selling, one on e-bay upto yesterday same as ours got no bids

But you never know. If not successful will go for it in the spring, easier to get good price then

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
thanks guys

Folding camper is up for sale on Pre Loved site, although lots on there and none selling, one on e-bay upto yesterday same as ours got no bids

But you never know. If not successful will go for it in the spring, easier to get good price then

Best of luck and hope you find something that suits your requirements.

Beware the pre season price hikes?:Sad:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The ability to leave your van on site and take the car into town is always the "Main" argument for keeping a caravan. Being able to do this is very advantageous, and unless you tow a car you will have to plan a little more thoroughly. All or most of your shopping needs to be done prior to the trip or you may well be stuck with the campsite shop. You will choose your campsites carefully so that you do not need a car. BUT.... please do not think that Motorhomes are to be used like static vans, 99% of vans can be used for aquick trip to the shops and you would be amazed at how little time it takes to be able to move. Leaving chairs and tables on your pitch you can drive off with just a few minutes prep, ( don't forget the hook up, I towed one 6 miles in Andorra:Blush:) All motorhomes have his ability to move quicky, so unless you have a large RV with 4 slideouts to pull in and a 27 point turn to get out, you are never really "stuck" on site.

Bikes with "tagalongs" for kids have served us well but shanks's pony is normally the transport of choice. But the best bit is this...

I can almost guarantee that you will use a motorhome 3 or 4 more times as much as a caravan, especially with kids, the ability to be able to just get on the road and go outweighs ALL the benefits of a caravan. Trips can be made at weekends and distances covered that you just would not want to cover towing a caravan, toileting for kids is not an issue, nor is feeding them. Kids can be a pain even on short journeys in a car, but in a motorhome the miles are stress free, kids just travel better in them, and everyone enjoys themselves which is what its all about.

If you want to have one long holiday a year, staying at a holiday site, with maybe one or two long weekends thrown in, have a caravan. If you want to see the UK and Europe, get away every weekend if you like without it becoming a "chore" then the only way to go is Motorhome.

When you own a motorhome the holiday starts at the same time as the engine, some of our long journeys are as much fun as the holiday. A tuggers holiday doesn't start until he has spent at least an hour on site setting up, and it ends a day early when he starts packing up and worrying about the drive home.

Get a Motorhome, you know it makes sense::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Thanks Jim

That all makes total sense

Get rid of the TT and then we have some spending money. Wish we had known a bit more before we ploughed £5500 into a TT. but we will get there if not this year, then next, well we better otherwise you guys will all be fulltimers an no longer in the country :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Van versus Caravan

I totally agree with your sentiments Jim.:thumb:

Mo and I have spent many years in offshore sailing, caravanning and now motorvanning (RV'ing) and we are both of the same opinion - it's the getting there that is the fun, much more so than the being there, so to speak - Tesco's or Sainsbury's is just about the same wherever you go.

Dragging the caravan was fun and we ventured as far as Croatia (before it was Croatia) and all the rest of Europe but it simply does not come into the same 'fun' category as the RV - now driving that is Fun with a capital F!:clap:

Living in the RV in Scotland, or Ireland is no different to living in the RV in Cornwall but driving the RV around Southern Ireland or over the Cairngorms where there is just a little bit of a challenge - that is what makes the heart pump a bit faster!!!!

We have always lived within the law and towed a car on a trailer but that has become so much of a storage problem and a (single-handed) manouevering problem that we have cast the law to the wind - and having bought a newer car we are just about to have an A frame fitted - anyone want a car transporter trailer - going cheap???:Blush:

Dick

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we go off site we either use our bikes, walk or use the local public transport.

We do the same most of the time but do take the van from time to time if the place we are visiting can't be easily reached by the other methods. That's one reason I started the parking web site so we would be reasonably sure of finding somewhere to park.

Graham

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Regarding Jim's post I have to agree with him to a point re use moue use of motorhome.

We were caravaner's for years a got away a lot but since having the motorhome been away less but the intention there to use it more.

We have moved this year so been restricted on use but this coming year intend to use it far more.

Irina is a shopper (not a spender but a shopper:RollEyes:) but my fuel bill is largish because of this:Doh:plus we like to pick dog walks so use the car (2 Great Danes off leads can be daunting to others when they thunder up:winky::roflmto:) so we like remote walks:thumb: so towing our car is essential:thumb:

Upvote 0
R

Ralph

Deleted User
I think Jim's post really says it all. Very well put.

The question of taking the van off site is really the distinction between a caravanner and a motorhomer.

The caravanner's view will be "Every time you go off site you will have to take your van with you :Sad:"
The motorhomer's view is "When I go off site I've always got my van with me! Great for the beach, shopping (just put the stuff straight into the fridge) and easy lunches :Smile:"

When we stay on a site for more than a couple of days we refer to it as being "In caravan mode"

Upvote 0

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yep, I'm another one who thinks Jim hit that one very neatly on the head - solid argument, logically put.

It's much, much easier to stop and park along the way with any sub-RV-sized motorhome than in any car/caravan combination and, touch wood, we've always been able to find somewhere safe and convenient to park whenever we've wanted to take on some shopping or simply have a look around.

We also use the motorhome far more often than we ever did with the caravan. I know there's a body of people who tow small cars with their motorhome, and I know I never have so am not really qualified to comment but....unless you're fulltiming in a monster RV with multiple slideouts it seems sensible to me that uif you're going to tow anything with anything, it should be a caravan with a car. Otherwise you simply negate a large part of the extra freedom a motorhome provides.

I shall await the death threats from legions of happy A-framers and others.

Upvote 0

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi yes another vote for jims sentiments :thumb: i did see there was caravan v motorhome debate going on in mmm mag but jim covers it for me!!! easy life::bigsmile: why o why do they just love spending hours putting up awnings:Doh:quality entertainment:ROFLMAO:

then i am a die hard motorhomer!!!

ray

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Off site

I think that Jim has covered it fully.
All I can add is that we do go off site some times and it only takes us a few minutes to prepare, but with Kids it would probably take a little longer!:ROFLMAO:
But, DON'T become a tugger!!!:cry::cry:
More fun with a M/H:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back