Globecar 'Softlock' Essential Maintenance (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but here's a couple of tips to help preserve the life of your Globecar softlock system.

Firstly, our softlock began suffering from a dreaded metal screeching noise a few days ago so I inevitably thought that the end was near for this £700 Globecar optional extra.

However, on further investigation I've found that the grease levels within the lower lock body get pushed aside with the constant usage of the door. This allows the lock and gearing mechanism to grind without lubrication. If not remedied then this will generate sufficient friction in the body that will then stop the drive shaft from working - and then kaput.

If you refer to my pic below then you'll see a nut which is located at the end of the WD40 red straw. This nut moves inward and outward whenever the door is opened and closed. If you look just behind the nut then you'll see a gap in the softlock body which is used for the nut and its mount to travel back and forth. (Note: the pic below is taken when the hab door is fully closed but when the door is fully open then the gap in the housing will be on the other side of the nut).

What you need to do is to inject silicon grease/lubricating oil into both gaps, either side of the nut and then open and close a few times.

This remedy will re-lubricate all of the lower mechanism which should in theory allow your softlock to last for a few more years.

.......so that's one more job off the list.

Screenshot_20201109-131242_Gallery.jpg

....and a closeup of the gap when the door is in the fully closed position:

Screenshot_20201109-131258_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
This is not a helpful, nor a sensible response. It is more of a “saw this and thought of me”.

Soft close - I have older van using ‘whoosh bang (repeat)‘ with apologies to anybody and everybody who hates the ’bang’ bit.
ps if on busy campsite I give up and leave door at The whoosh stage without engaging ‘bang’.

ps hope you get a proper answer 🙋🏻‍♀️

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This is not a helpful, nor a sensible response. It is more of a “saw this and thought of me”.

Soft close - I have older van using ‘whoosh bang (repeat)‘ with apologies to anybody and everybody who hates the ’bang’ bit.
ps if on busy campsite I give up and leave door at The whoosh stage without engaging ‘bang’.

ps hope you get a proper answer 🙋🏻‍♀️

Ah, but most softlock systems end up as 'whoosh-bangs' within just a couple of years.

This is terrible when you consider the cost of the upgraded mechanism.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Ah, but most softlock systems end up as 'whoosh-bangs' within just a couple of years.

This is terrible when you consider the cost of the upgraded mechanism.
That’s not good is it? Progress, eh!
at a not-so-recent dental appointment I was told that the replacement crown would last about 5-6 years. The one being replaced had been happily in place for over 20. More progress 🤷🏻‍♀️

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Looked at this post a while back.
Where exactly is the softlock near the door? Just can’t find it.
Thank you

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Looked at this post a while back.
Where exactly is the softlock near the door? Just can’t find it.
Thank you

Hi Alex, the soft lock will be bolted/located behind the draws.

Here's a pic of mine once the draws have been removed.

In theory you should be able to just remove the top draw to gain access (famous last words).

All the best,

Andrew

Screenshot_20210217-112225_Gallery.jpg

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Thanks Blue Knight, found this post and done it to get in a good habit on my Summit Shine. I managed to take the drawer front off to make access easier, do you know how to remove the whole drawer?

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
If yours is anything like our Campscout, there are little levers towards the front of the runners which you press to release the drawer. Long time since I did ours so memory a bit hazy, I just remember it took ages to work it out. Good luck.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi Mixyblob, thanks for that. I had another look yesterday and found some plastic levers which indeed did the biz. Pic of buttons to remove front and lever to remove drawer attached (hopefully)
20230907_095016.jpg

20230907_094937.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back