Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
Following the discussions regarding the issues of US awnings, I have been thinking about the European designs and think that they are a great idea, being boxed in, but my experience of Fiamma and Omnistor awnings is that they are a little light weight and finicky. I came across GH awnings and seemed to remember Phoenix saying that he had one fitted and how good it was. Has anyone else got one or know anything about them? Are they good / easy to use / maintain? Any comments will be appreciated because I would really like to make a decent comparison based upon facts rather than guesses :Smile:
TIA

Keith

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi Keith, as far as I remember the GH is reguarded as the rolls royce of awnings. They do tend to be a far better build quality and there for come at a higher price.
hope this helps:thumb:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
I have owned Omnistor Fiamma and GH

The GH is a far better piece of kit, Quality and Strength wise far superior to the others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for the replies Ken and George :Smile: That was what I thought was the case, but I have looked on their website and there are loads of pictures showing "trade" type awnings that are huge and obviously mega expensive and not much about their range of motorhome awnings (unless I miised it, which of course is impossible as I am perfect :ROFLMAO:). I will try to do some more searching and see what I find.
Thanks again guys

Keith

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Ken
Yep that is the one I found... Lots of pics but light on other info such as specifications and prices (that must mean they are real expensive :roflmto:)
Thanks anyway matey

Keith

Phoenix

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Keith,
In the past I've had two GH awnings and safari rooms fitted at their factory in Bolton. They were both excellent quality but expensive.
The awning on my Phoenix is an American wind-out with the name 'Horizon' on the outside casing, when opened out there is an inside label on the rafter which says Fiamma:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
GH send a very informative information pack for motorhomes giving prices and material samples etc. worth giving them a ring.
Chris

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Chris
Thanks for that.... I have really been looking to find some info on websites, hadn't thought of actually calling to get info :roflmto: Maybe I am going to have to do that as the web based info seems a little sparse.....
Thanks matey

Keith

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
We have had GH awnings on both our show trailers - excellent bit of kit but a lot more expensive than a roll-out Carefree or A&E :Smile:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
BTW their aftersales is excellent too...

I needed some fitting brkts, total sale was under £20 and yet they pushed the boat out, even to the point that knowing where I, He was was going to make a slight detour to meet me. all this was after spendind a while sorting out exactly what I needed and the real kicker is that I had bought this unit 2nd hand and they knew it...

I only wish my memory stretched to the chaps name........

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi keith...as you know i had to take off my carefree awning as it had seen better days in the end i went for a 5.5 mt flammia with privacy room costing over a grand and that was with myself and friends fitting it..but also: the front of the privacy was 6" to short supplied by riversway leisure ,we contacted riversway who contacted suppliers who then sent us another front, only to find that it was the same,twleve months later after returning the new front we are still waiting for the fammia to resolve the problem.
Would i recommend it the wind out awning yes privacy room no.You can see the problem with the awning in the photo gallery.Has anyone else had this problem?:Angry::Angry:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Dave
I am thinking about viewing an RV without an awning (Yes again :roflmto:) and I would not personally fit either a Fiamma or Omnistor awning because I do not like the strength of them (or lack of..), so do I go for another Carefree awning, bearing in mind Scotjim's experience or maybe look at a GH awning? I don't know really and the GH ones are said to be expensive, but I cannot find out prices easily. I guess that I will need to call them if I get really interested in the RV :Smile:
Too many choices mate, I do hope that you get yours sorted out quickly though, maybe a letter to the supplier saying that you have waited long enough for them to resolve the problem, and you want a refund, would sort out the issue a little more quickly for you.

Keith

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Keith l had a GH awning on a sunsport a few years ago, went to bolton and they make the awning and safari room for your RV, pub on the corner of the rd chinc take away just across the rd, we got there the night before, they gave us a el hook up, next morning lent us a car to go off, we went into manchester had a good day and the awning was the best l ever had, cost more but worth every penny.
Paul

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The Awning Company

Just seen one of their awnings belonging to one of our members - very impressed - it cost £2K or thereabouts but looked and performed worth every penny.

The Awning Company (speak to Richard May)
Unit 1, Jubilee Street
Vale Street
Bolton
BL2 6QF

Tel: 01204 544900
Fax: 01204 544901

The Awning Company for exhibition and vehicle awnings

The model that we have seen and envied is a 7metre x 3½metre "Heavy Duty Jumbo" with a couple of extra roof bars. (five roof bars in all)

This model has stood rock solid in gales of wind and rain, snow and ice and boiling sunshine.

eamil: richard.may@theawningcompany.co.uk

mobile: 07768 466345

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
GH awnings and The Awning Company are one and the same .

As I said when this thread was first aired (2007) they make an excellent product, perhaps a touch expensive but worth every penny in my book.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
as previously stated the after sales service is excellent.

last century we were staying at kinlochewe, about 12 miles inland. it was force 12 offshore according to the radio the next morning. had to take the awning down during the night because the wind was so strong. found that one of the roof support poles had bent.

phoned them and they sent a replacement to the next site we were going to. the new one had been redesigned since we had got the awning.

would have one on the current van but haven't got the payload.:cry: they are very heavy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back