Gas Leak !!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
Just been into my Autosleeper 2014 stanton on the drive and found the carbon monoxide alarm going off and terrible smell of gas. All isolators in van turned off, weather is atrocious 12" snow etc could the frost have fractured the pipe between the underslung tank and the isolators? Any suggestions on how to make it safe.Urgent help required!!

OP
OP
Foxycow
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
Hi Supermike
Thanks for your reply, I charged my leisure battery two days ago as it was very low, and it does smell like wrotten eggs do you thing the lengthy charging could have caused the problem with a duff battery?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Foxycow
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
I suppose if I disconnect the battery and the smell goes away that would prove the point Ah?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Supermike
Thanks for your reply, I charged my leisure battery two days ago as it was very low, and it does smell like wrotten eggs do you thing the lengthy charging could have caused the problem with a duff battery?
exactly that.... the smell is hydrogen sulphide, which is toxic

Not as dangerous as the other gas given off, Hydrogen that is smell less and highly explosive

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Please turn off the electric hookup and open all doors and windows to purge the gas. When cooled down, disconnect the batteries and very carefully remove from the vehicle avoiding any sparks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Foxycow
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
Hi Supermike, Thanks for your advice much appreciated, did what you said but not before the neighbours had called the gas board reporting a leak. Only problem now is disposing of the said duff battery !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Supermike, Thanks for your advice much appreciated, did what you said but not before the neighbours had called the gas board reporting a leak. Only problem now is disposing of the said duff battery !!!
even duff the battery is worth £7 as scrap. If you don't want it, leave it by the roadside and somebody will nick it. Or advertise it on your local facebook page and somebody will collect

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back