Gas bottle magnetic strip (1 Viewer)

Muffinn

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Worcester
Funster No
Exp
Someone showed me the clever magnetic temperature sensitive strip you put on your propane bottle which as you use the gas shows where the level is.

Anyone know where I can obtain one by mail order. Didn't get much help from two parts suppliers I have visited.

OP
OP
M

Muffinn

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Worcester
Funster No
Exp
Magnetic strip

Thanks - it might be helpful to know which one your is! The person I spoke with said how marvelous his was so I'll remain optimistic - it certainly seemed a neat, cheap easy solution to the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You have mine never been able to read it. Maybe you'll have better sucess Muffin. You'll have to come to Scotland though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You have mine never been able to read it. Maybe you'll have better sucess Muffin. You'll have to come to Scotland though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I got one of those free with some magazine or t'other never could read the thing and binned it! :Blush:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi the new gaslite from calor has supposed to have a gauge on:thumb:

here

ray:thumb:::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks - it might be helpful to know which one your is!
Can't remember the brand but it looks like Link Removed and the backing card looks familiar. I bought it from a shop rather than eBay and I think it cost about a fiver.

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Purely my personal opinion but I wouldn't bother if I were you. I bought one and I've never been able to tell what the gas level is from it.

I agree. I bought one thinking what a brilliant idea....it wasn't! As you say they are not that easy to read and certainly far from precise.

They work from temperature off the gas inside the bottle and it's just as easy to stick your hand on or shake the bottle.

ogri

Free Member
Nov 7, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
magnetic strip

Hi,
bought one of these when I hired a MH in New Zealand, in the three months that I used it I couldn't get any sense out of the readings, Somtimes empty when full an hour later showing half full. I tried it again on another MH in Tasmania with no joy. My mate had one that we later tried on my own MH when i got home...still no joy!!

Good luck Ogri

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Theres one in the Towsure brochure

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Same here, I thought they'd be great but they turned out to be useless and I threw them away, otherwise you could have had them.
Wyn

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
dont bother with those if you really want a method that works get the bathroom scales out and weigh the bottle then you know how much you have used.

start by weighing a full bottle and write the weight down and when its 6 kg lighter its empty.
unless you are using 13kg bottles if so when its 13kg lighter then its empty.

personally i dont bother when the hob or oven don't light then i change the bottle.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Not sure if works but I have just bought this

Link Removed
£3.49 no P&P from ebay, at the price I thought it was worth a punt.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as already said useless, they register a change of temp only at the precise level of gas and you have to guess where that is and only then whilst the gas is burning and changing from a liguid to a gas. Welght is the only genuine way to tell. or to make it even easier, when the dinner stops cooking you have run out so change to the backup bottle and get a refill ASAP:thumb::thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We use them onboard ship for checking CO2 cylinders, the trick is to soak a cloth in hot water, ring it out then hold it over the magnetic indicator strip for a minute before reading it. The space above the gas liquid level obviously heats up more quickly which causes the crystals in strip to show up more making it easy to read and accurate. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
hi the new gaslite from calor has supposed to have a gauge on:thumb:

here

ray:thumb:::bigsmile:

You are correct, the Calorlite bottles do have a small gauge on them which goes from Green (full) to Red (empty). Trouble is I only notice this gauge when I cannot light the cooker or something as I don't check it on a daily basis, so really, it's a pointless item.

How many funsters check their gas levels daily?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dontcha just love it when a 4 year old thread gets resurrected.

as others have said......keep your money in your pocket towards another gas bottle later.....not worth the plastic its printed on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back