Gap between windscreen and dashboard (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have you ever lost something down that gap?
I put our newly purchased Swiss vignette on the dashboard whilst I put on seatbelt, and it promptly slid out of sight down the gap. Ducato 2015 on.
Thanks to resourceful hubby it was retrieved. By chance that evening we camped next to a couple whose wife had lost her EHIC card down same gap on their Peugeot. Worked a treat.
Solution, take one fly swot, a roll of sticky tape and scissors Place a length of tape sticky side OUT across the top end of swot. Place another piece of sticky tape (sticky side down) all around the swot securing the first piece securely.

Fish around until lost item sticks to tape.

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

Our first development used a piece of cereal box cardboard instead of fly swot but we had to make refinements for the couple with the Peugeot as they had windscreen blinds that pulled up and there was no room for a hand near the windscreen. Cardboard worked for us as we have blinds that close from the side.

You'll be surprised as what comes out!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... which is why I filled the gap with some strips of foam pipe insulation to stop anything going down it! You also have to watch out for overcab shelves/lockers in PVCs too as they aren't usually 'sealed' at the rear (ie the far edge above the windscreen) ... we found this out the hard way when some important paperwork disappeared into the 'black hole' and the only way I could get it out was to partially undo the front edge where the courtesy light is and try to get my hand in to carefully 'pull' the stuff out as it had jammed solid ... again this was also filled with some foam pipe insulation strips and was one of the first jobs I did when we changed campers!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Any paper or similar items that are going near the dashboard I clip on a bulldog clip, even a small one, and it becomes too thick to slide away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
I lost a gas spanner that way in my beloved Dethless Bus.

Its probably still rattling around that vehicle.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c0a.jpg

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have a similar problem with our Frankia the TV remote has fallen down behind the gap between the lounge seating and the van wall a couple of times and it was a nightmare to retrieve.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After 8 years it maybe time for the gap to be cleared out again treasures could be lurking 🤔
Shhhhhh ... don't tell Gina that ... little things amuse you know and whilst she's occupied looking at ancient posts she's not pestering others! :rofl:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We have a similar problem with our Frankia the TV remote has fallen down behind the gap between the lounge seating and the van wall a couple of times and it was a nightmare to retrieve.
A length of pipe insulation will resolve the issue!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Shhhhhh ... don't tell Gina that ... little things amuse you know and whilst she's occupied looking at ancient posts she's not pestering others! :rofl:
I'm sure she'll come up with something else soon :eek:

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp