Galicia. Not wearing well. (2 Viewers)

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
We were on Galicia last week and have to say everything was great. Great cabin, great food, great service. Sometimes think people have short memories. Plenty of complaints about Pont Avon and other ferries in the past. It’s a fashion thing I think Made in China not in fashion. Same as German MHs are best. Except reality is you find just as many dissatisfied German owners as other makes.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The rust is predominantly on the welds and is probably down to the difference in chemistry of the weld metal and the ships plates setting up a galvanic action in the presence of seawater..The welds probably need priming with a marine undercoat initially before the general overcoat applied. Just repainting will only be cosmetic and the welds will rust primarily again. (y)
No, the problem is they will keep sailing in Salt Water, if they stuck to the Fresh Water canals, it wouldn't get half as bad!!
Who wouldn't like a 12month cruise to Spain? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I used to love rust, the more the better.
Back in the day most of the ferry companies were clients of mine, and one of the more profitable jobs was retouching ship photos to make them look good for press releases. right from the days of hand retouching with transparency dyes and air brushes through to electronic retouching.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I used to love rust, the more the better.
Back in the day most of the ferry companies were clients of mine, and one of the more profitable jobs was retouching ship photos to make them look good for press releases. right from the days of hand retouching with transparency dyes and air brushes through to electronic retouching.

In my MN days 60-70's, it was a permanent job for deck and engine room hands and I still follow this painting practice today on/in the house.

I'm rubbish at painting and the chip hammer does not help??? :LOL:

We had been around Africa, via the Med, Suez canal etc and was just arriving in Cape Town. The 'Old Man' had just got his bright white Union Castle boat in pristine condition as we sailed into harbour.

What we had forgotten was 'Puffin Billy' an old coal burner Pilot boat and as it pulled alongside to let off the Pilot, it covered all the ship in black soot marks again. The skipper was furious!!! :eek: :LOL:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
This is probably one of those "lamp swinging" stories but a fitter I worked with was an ERA in the RN. He said they generally dropped the starboard anchor as required. The port anchor's chain locker was also a paint store and the one time they went to drop that, the chain came out multi coloured as everyone used to clean their brushes and "beat" them on the anchor chain to get the last of the paint off them !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back