From Strepy to where ...? Tunnel booked for Monday morning (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Looking for places to visit where parking is easy, either for the night or daytime if close to a city or place to visit and there is decent parking further out of the area.

Campsites seem pretty expensive (especially Bruges) but we are happy to use one if it's close for sightseeing etc. But won't pay over €20 at this time of year!

Alternatively we could just make our way back through France ....though seeing a few places in Belgium (other than WW1 sites as we have visited a few of those before) would be nice.
Even Holland might be an option for Sat night?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I think the Aire at Bruges is less than 20 euros at this time of year. Or the big free Aire at Bergues, no services but an interesting town with a couple of bars and restaurants and only around an hour from Eurotunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We ended up here

Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

///cars.subsets.marker

Nevele, about 20km outside of Ghent. We did intend catching a bus into Ghent but the journey wasn't pleasant. I don't particularly like the Belgian roads I've learned, bloody potholes and noisy stretches of concrete.

I have learned though that Belgium isn't a great motorhome country just to 'wing it' - it needs a lot more planning than the no planning at all that we put in!

There are two dedicated pitches with emptying facilities. There is plenty of space to get a few more motorhomes on using other parking spots (which someone had done prior to our arrival)
IMG_20220930_141333_653.jpg
IMG_20220930_141318_562.jpg
IMG_20220930_141402_973.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
There also looks to be a much bigger car park area just over the canal. It doesn't have dedicated motorhome but it certainly doesn't forbid it.

Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

///ranch.trial.doormat

It's just outside a school but there's plenty of parking if you're stuck! No facilities but you could always empty your cassette at the sports complex dedicated motorhome Aire.

We had a quick walk around the village, a couple of bars, cafes etc and a small Carrefour for any groceries you might have run out of! The main canal us about 100 yards away, with cycle paths leading into (I assume) Ghent. I would imagine it's about 20/25 mins by bike from the Aire into the centre of Ghent.

This time if evening there are a few people turning up to use the facilities and kids on the skateboard area, all of which is to be expected as the Aire is at the sports centre !!
I will add more in the morning and let you know if it's a peaceful park up!

PS. My permit to drive into Ghent and a few other cities arrived by email this morning, it was free and took me about 15 minutes to complete (most of which was trying to photo my V5 document and attach it to the application form on line). It might be advisable to sort it before you leave - it lasts for 5 years !!

IMG_20220930_153317_798.jpg
IMG_20220930_153222_493.jpg

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
An update to the overnight stop -

Had a really peaceful night. The music and skateboarding stopped just after 10pm and it all went really quiet - to be honest we've had longer and louder music/noise on paid for camp sites, so it wasn't an issue at all.

Two more motorhomes arrived later in the evening and parked just around the corner, still on the sports complex so they could use the toilet emptying point.
The only real downside, which isn't too much of an issue, was the lack of fresh water for either drinking or cassette cleaning. There is no EHU available either, but that doesn't detract from its suitability as a one night stopover!
We would consider using it again if we were travelling through and needed a parkup.

IMG_20221001_085250_316.jpg

Late arrivals parked up about 50 yards away, so we're able to use the cassette emptying point.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think the Aire at Bruges is less than 20 euros at this time of year. Or the big free Aire at Bergues, no services but an interesting town with a couple of bars and restaurants and only around an hour from Eurotunnel.
We at Bergues now, will have a walk around later. 👍

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Had a nice meal in Le Berguenard (28 Rue du Gouvernement) a few weeks ago.
I've just eaten Poisson et Frites at L'Restaurant Adria - perfectly cooked by the Chef, who then also washed and dried while I made a visit to le poubelles

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS Eurostyle
Exp
since 2019
''. My permit to drive into Ghent ''
What's all this then,we drove through Ghent last week and didn't realise I needed paperwork.
(now slightly worried)

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
''. My permit to drive into Ghent ''
What's all this then,we drove through Ghent last week and didn't realise I needed paperwork.
(now slightly worried)
The LEZ applies only inside the ring road, so unless you drove into the city centre you will be ok.

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS Eurostyle
Exp
since 2019
Thanks for the information, I have now been on the website and applied for the certificate.
[ I have my crit.air badges for Germany and France but never thought about Belgium ]

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have now in total about 9 weeks driving around Europe without any emission stickers and not been pulled over, has anyone ever been stopped ?

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Have now in total about 9 weeks driving around Europe without any emission stickers and not been pulled over, has anyone ever been stopped ?
We were concerned during a stopover in Rhems a few weeks ago. The signs were tiny and unclear. Our Crit Air is only a yellow 3 (oddly Germany granted us a Green4!)
However some research and a visit to the tourist office was reassuring, a leaflet in plain English and with diagrams showed that they are gradually reducing the threshold over a few years. Enforcment is by random police observation rather than cameras.
Moreover the helpful young lady pointed out they haven't yet started checking/enforcing anyway; shades of the "everyone must carry 2 breathalysers" debarcle from a few years back?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We spent the last couple of nights in Bergues. Massive parking area all hard standing, just outside a 'walled' town but sadly no services.
I must admit to being underwhelmed by the town, I did expect a little bit more but it was an easy stop over, ideal for the tunnel/ferry crossings, so it wouldn't bother me if I stayed there again if circumstances dictated ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back