French motorhome friendly campsites with waterpark and holiday planning (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2019
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar tessoro 463
Exp
Since 2019
Apologies for the snappy “thread title”!

Wife, son and I are currently planning our first french trip (first overseas motorhome trip too) for this summer- max 2 weeks but more than likely 10days.

We have a few places planned. no route or area planned yet, we will literally join the dots of places we fancy visiting and make it fit into our duration ensuring we get to have a holiday rather than driving all the time.

Caverne du pont d'arte, chervais cave
Disneyland - we promised our son we would pop in for 1 day?

Do you know of anywhere we can stay over night in a caravan site/campsite in our motorhome with a decent water park?

Also other ideas of places to go with a 6 year old which would involve outdoor activities and scenery/good food- canoeing, boating, cycling, ballooning, hiking.

Any decent guidebooks or websites to help with the planning?

Many thanks for your support with this

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
We stayed at La Foret De L'Orient twice last summer and the kids on site appeared to be having a whale of a time, there appeared to be some water park type things in the lake, that also had a clean beach

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A couple of assumptions here.
Presuming it will be in the peak period of summer holidays based upon age of child.
Presuming you havent been away on aires as you havent been abroad before.

Off to disneyland and a couple of days there, then head east towards Alsace and the Juras. You can stop at Mesnil st pere (which i assume is still free) and stay by the lake then head of towards lac de Vouglans and numerous other lakes including cascades du herrison and easily spend 4 or 5 days there, I believe lac de chalain has an (paying) assault course of blow up things and clairveaux les lacs has diving boards and bits and bobs, even as far as Nantua then head back through Colmar and Egusheim which he should really enjoy with a childs imagination. Popping back through Luxembourg for some cheap fuel.
This would decrease your holiday expenses enormously.

worth googling the bold stuff and viewing pictures to get an idea and thinking (with exception of disneyland possibly chalain) its free to stay. (Nantua is 8 euros a night i think)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Colmar is beautiful and there is a Statue of Liberty there, also a museum of games but the museum is more adult orientated in my opinion. There is a campsite near the marina which has a laundry but there are also a couple of free aires I think. Lots of cycling :)

Also if you go to Fessenheim (same general area) there is a free aire and a swimming pool (not sure about the facilities in the pool) but it is also a cross roads of cycle routes.

On the way in or out you might want to call in at the Euro Space Center at Transinne in Belgium.

What about doing some train and cycle trips? The Moselle Cycle Route has a rail line most of the way along it so you could take the train a couple of stations and cycle back to the van ?

Last edited:

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I’ll vote for Colmar too, it’s lovely for adults and children, a real fairytale town!

A couple of assumptions here.
Presuming it will be in the peak period of summer holidays based upon age of child.
Presuming you havent been away on aires as you havent been abroad before.

Off to disneyland and a couple of days there, then head east towards Alsace and the Juras. You can stop at Mesnil st pere (which i assume is still free) and stay by the lake then head of towards lac de Vouglans and numerous other lakes including cascades du herrison and easily spend 4 or 5 days there, I believe lac de chalain has an (paying) assault course of blow up things and clairveaux les lacs has diving boards and bits and bobs, even as far as Nantua then head back through Colmar and Egusheim which he should really enjoy with a childs imagination. Popping back through Luxembourg for some cheap fuel.
This would decrease your holiday expenses enormously.

worth googling the bold stuff and viewing pictures to get an idea and thinking (with exception of disneyland possibly chalain) its free to stay. (Nantua is 8 euros a night i think)

OP
OP
Ewor
Sep 3, 2019
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar tessoro 463
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you all for taking the time to respond-very helpful.

It’s appreciated

Kind regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back