France route: West to East (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Well finally decided to go for it. Can anyone advise a route through the centre of France from West to East - say from Brive area toward Lyon and Annecy. Our plan is to have around 2 weeks in the Dordogne area in Campsites we know and then head into Italy (prob via Mt Blanc Tunnel). So looking for route suggestions and possible Campsites/Aires en-route.
We leave next Thur 27th (Tunnel) and have given all due consideration to Q & Insurance etc.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
There are many. From a toll motorway to a number of N roads, to many lesser roads. If you have the time just meander across. Campsites are open and Aires / wildcamping a plenty.

Deleted User
Cevennes, Arles, Nimes, Avignon, The Baronnies, Mont Ventoux, Gorges de Verdon.....??can't go wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Cevennes, Arles, Nimes, Avignon, The Baronnies, Mont Ventoux, Gorges de Verdon.....??can't go wrong.
You can 😃 All those are way south of the route requested. The Barronnies are in the Pyrenees 😂😂
Perhaps the Gorges du Tarn.

Deleted User
You can 😃 All those are way south of the route requested. The Barronnies are in the Pyrenees 😂😂
Perhaps the Gorges du Tarn.
The Baronnies are just north of Mont Ventoux.
All on possible routes to Italy

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Be mindful of where TdF will be each day, it could really mess with your plans (full campsites/aires/temp road closures and so on). https://www.letour.fr/en/

From Brive la gaillarde we'd take the autoroute (A89) straight across France. Overnight stop at Orcine (nr Clermont Ferrand) to visit Puy de Dome.
An hour or so out of Clermont, left for Burgundy, right for Rhone regions, or continue East towards Lyon and onwards to Annecy...

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks kaasbroodje, just the sort of info I'm looking for. We have travelled in France for many years, just not this route. Just what is the Puy de Dome, I hear it mentioned often but when I looked it just seems to be a big round hill ??

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Yes, it’s basically a big hill with spectacular panoramic views. Modern electric train takes about 15min to reach the top. There are several paths back down or can take the train.
Gift shop, Cafe and ruins of a Roman Temple at the summit.
Loads of parking available, it’s not an aire but overnighting is tolerated (maybe 10 vans when we stayed).
Alternatively, the aire in town is only a short drive away.

P1050988.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thanks kaasbroodje, just the sort of info I'm looking for. We have travelled in France for many years, just not this route. Just what is the Puy de Dome, I hear it mentioned often but when I looked it just seems to be a big round hill ??
Its an extinct volcano a big hill with great views if its clear, if not its just a big wet hill!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back