France (not all of it) returning to 90kmh speed limit ! (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good news for those that just accidentally get caught out when straying over 80kmh. Less likely to be fined now.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Good news for those that just accidentally get caught out when straying over 80kmh. Less likely to be fined now.

On the contrary as each department will now be able to decide and some have already stated that they will not adopt 90kph, there will be more opportunity to be doing the wrong speed as you cross from one department to another. Have a look at the map in Sheddy's post.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As part of the same theme, this was our first visit to the country following on from the introduction of the 80kph limit.
I did notice a lot of 70kph 'buffer' zones on the approach to towns and villages.
There also seemed to be an increase in signs indicating a 50 kph limit just down the road.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I love France but they do seem to make a mishmash of making laws especially motoring ones. I'm thinking of the confusion over the breathalysers too.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
They were talking of some areas changing the speed limits back last year. Think the French government has handed the decision back to the areas.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
What I used to like about driving in France was the simplicity of the speed limits. Village/town sign = 50, exit village sign = 90kph (or 80kph for over 3500kg) . Now it is going to a lottery as there is no blanket limit in each region, let alone country.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The danger of speed limits that are always changing is that all the time you are looking at the speedo you are not looking at the road

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The tricky bit is that many areas did not replace the 90 signs when the limit was reduced. I tend to drive at a smidgin over 80 with everything crossed.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
It’s a mess ... as others have said, constantly having to scan for signs and staring at the speedo, is not safe. They should pick a number and stick to it
80kmh in many roads is just daft, but if it’s the law, then fine

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I love France but they do seem to make a mishmash of making laws especially motoring ones. I'm thinking of the confusion over the breathalysers too.

Now you mention it, you no longer have to get ripped off at UK outlets for breathalyser kits. It's finally been binned... (y)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
The tricky bit is that many areas did not replace the 90 signs when the limit was reduced. I tend to drive at a smidgin over 80 with everything crossed.

I'm surprised as I certainly didn't have any experience of that. In my neck of the woods all the 90 signs were either covered or replaced by the Monday following the changeover and subsequently, travelling through France, I haven't seen one instance of the 90 sign being left in place, except when travelling on the two-lane line side of a three-lane road.

There had been enough publicity about it before it was introduced so there was no excuse :smiley:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Oh no, that means my unused breathalyser kits, long expired, are worthless.

I only ever bought a pair (for about €1.99 in Intermarche) and kept one each in the Passat and the MH. They have an expiry date of 2014.... :giggler:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'm surprised as I certainly didn't have any experience of that. In my neck of the woods all the 90 signs were either covered or replaced by the Monday following the changeover and subsequently, travelling through France, I haven't seen one instance of the 90 sign being left in place, except when travelling on the two-lane line side of a three-lane road.

There had been enough publicity about it before it was introduced so there was no excuse :smiley:
Hère all are still 90 on the signs because Corrèze refused to pay the cost if changing them as wasn’t their idea ! Anyway Corrèze is going back to 90 after 1 Feb so signs still valid lol

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Hère all are still 90 on the signs because Corrèze refused to pay the cost if changing them as wasn’t their idea ! Anyway Corrèze is going back to 90 after 1 Feb so signs still valid lol

That would explain it - that's mountain folk for you...

If I drive through the Corrèze it's usually north or south on the A20, there's varmints in them there hills...::bigsmile:

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
It’s a mess ... as others have said, constantly having to scan for signs and staring at the speedo, is not safe. They should pick a number and stick to it
80kmh in many roads is just daft, but if it’s the law, then fine
I would hope all drivers are always scanning the road and checking their speed. Otherwise you might miss seeing that child !!!!!
Phil

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I would hope all drivers are always scanning the road and checking their speed. Otherwise you might miss seeing that child !!!!!
Phil
As in the UK there are constant speed changes. So many in fact that it is easy to miss a new limit and then spend the next mile or two looking for signs. This takes up comcentration that would be better used watching the road and traffic conditions. There are a bewildering number of limits in the UK. Now I used a satnav and the speed limit displays in my vehicles to help keep a track of the changing limits, but these are not always accurate.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
That's old news, doesn't affect those of us that are over 3500kg it's always been 80kph.
Serious question. Do the speed cameras have ANPR type vehicle recognition? If not I guess only a police stop would be able to do someone over 3500kg for over 80 in a 90..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can you imagine the lawyer's fees if the UK lowered speed limits but left the signs up and still did everyone with speed cameras. It would be carnage in the courts.

But the French.............!!!!!
Still wouldn't be enforceable .You'd only have to appeal it via ecj & that'd be the end.
You cannot enforce a speed limit lower than the signs state.
Serious question. Do the speed cameras have ANPR type vehicle recognition? If not I guess only a police stop would be able to do someone over 3500kg for over 80 in a 90..
No, but if you have given them the details for a emissions sticker it isn't beyond the realms of possibility they'd use that info.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They detect hight so chances are you would get away with it as they will look at the photo and see it's a motorhome & not bother following it up.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As in the UK there are constant speed changes. So many in fact that it is easy to miss a new limit and then spend the next mile or two looking for signs. This takes up comcentration that would be better used watching the road and traffic conditions. There are a bewildering number of limits in the UK. Now I used a satnav and the speed limit displays in my vehicles to help keep a track of the changing limits, but these are not always accurate.
You are correct re the U.K. We find it more confusing but perhaps been here too long . Came out of a side road in the U.K. and was miles before discovering there was a lower speed limit on that road ! Also don’t mention average speed cameras lol abs lower speed limits for road works where no one is working lol

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don’t see the problem. Everytime you approach a change in speed limits outside urban areas, there is a sign telling you what that speed is.
All you have to do is abide by it.

Somtimes the the urban speed limits, only notified by the Village/Ville name sign is obscured by vegetation, especially for RHD vehicles.

I prefer '50kph 200m ahead' signs to the 70 transitional signs, although they probably have the same effect, and that 200m transitional in not policed nor enforced.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
They detect hight so chances are you would get away with it as they will look at the photo and see it's a motorhome & not bother following it up.
I’ve always assumed that and just hoped I was right.
Got away with it so far. :giggle:
Got flashed, yet again, on the A28 yesterday. I was well within the speed limit, around 100kph, so no worries. As usual it thought I was an HGV.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’ve always assumed that and just hoped I was right.
Got away with it so far. :giggle:
Got flashed, yet again, on the A28 yesterday. I was well within the speed limit, around 100kph, so no worries. As usual it thought I was an HGV.

Richard.
Last trip I got flashed on a dual carriageway I was doing 102kph, signed limit was 110 so I assume under 3.5t 110, Motorhome over 3.5t 100 & HGV's 90.
That was in October not heard anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back