Fly Screen repair?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The flyscreen to our hab door has broken.

One of the horizontal threads that controls the folding of the pleats has broken and the screen bunches up in the middle and won't fold flat into the frame when opened.

Our local Adria says they can't be mended and that a new one from Adria will be about £350 and 3 months :(

Wife says just use one of those dangly bead type things but I like things proper.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
IMG_20181206_121659.jpg

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have fixed a window flyscreen same principle just smaller and it took me ages as when you strip these things down there are some plastic bits which have become brittle and snap like biscuits so if you are clumsy like me get someone who is capable .

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
They can be repaired but it's a fiddly time consuming job.

You'll need to remove the flyscreen and take it apart. I repaired mine using fishing line. It was just a single cord that broke.

They all work on the same principle. The bottom 3 horizontal cords merge into one cord within the vertical moving vertical post. A single cord exits into the top runner, goes round a pivot point, then gets anchored to a clamp in the top runner. Vise versa the top 3 horizontal cords.

There was an article in MMM about a year or so ago that described the repair process. There are also threads on here that discuss this matter.

There are 2 types of hab door screen AFAIK. One is Horrex and the other, I think, is Remis .

PS. The fix mentioned by @mike mcglynn is totally different. Been there, done that one :eek:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Hils and Glenns-really pleased you also managed it. It is a bit fiddly but certainly possible and saves £300+.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Our screen in the Flair had broken strings twice in 18 months from new!! One unit replaced at the factory and another in Spain. However eventually when it went again I asked them to send the unit to me to fit. They said if I did it no more warranty. Well having got the old one out I identified that it had been fitted out of true and I would assume all the replacements the same. So I made some new fixing holes and touch wood after 2 years its still OK! Mine was pop riveted together and I still have the old one in my barn, keep meaning to strip it down and see!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The MMM article on how to repair a Hartalight Flyscreen Door was in March 2017 issue, page 208. The author reckoned it took him 5 hours to do the repair. This flyscreen was fitted to a 2013 Bailey Approach 760. Available as back issue via the online store.

As mentioned by @Lenny HB the removal of the flyscreen can be difficult as most will have been installed during the build process without any future thought of removal at a later date.

On mine, the flyscreen frame was held in place with 2 screws in the aluminium bottom runner. Once these are removed, the frame can be lifted upwards by about 10mm to release the frame from the fixed mushroom shaped studs either side (about 5 studs either side). The frame needs to be lifted sufficiently so the holes in the frame coincide with the position of the studs. The frame can then be withdrawn inwards. The fixing in the frame is basically a slot and hole. The hole being slightly larger than the stud.

The corner pieces on mine were riveted to aluminium angle. Some manufacturers use plastic corner pieces with plastic plugs which is probably easier to disassemble.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Seems mine is fitted same way as above. I have undone the four screws in the base plate and the unit lifts, I guess to allow the head to come off the door frame with mushroom headed screws. I have not taken it completely off yet as I want to research the article @Ingwe sent me first.

Thanks to all contributors here.

Work In Progress:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heather Williams

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
Elddis Aspire 265
Exp
Since 2013
Hils and Glenns Do you still have these instructions please? I have msgd Ingwe, but we’re trying to fix our screen asap, so covering all bases.
Many thanks in advance if you do and can send them to me.
Regards,
Heather

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I don’t suppose you could post a link to the instructions could you, or PM me as well? Would be very much appreciated! In our case it’s a roof light fly screen.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I don’t suppose you could post a link to the instructions could you, or PM me as well? Would be very much appreciated! In our case it’s a roof light fly screen.
PM sent.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Although I have successfully fixed our screen (it works well) it is still a bit of pain if you're going on and out of the van when parked up. So we have fitted one of those horse's tails things that hang down that seem to be good at keeping goggas out but also allowing me to sashay out with our sundowners without spillage! :giggle:

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Seems mine is fitted same way as above. I have undone the four screws in the base plate and the unit lifts, I guess to allow the head to come off the door frame with mushroom headed screws. I have not taken it completely off yet as I want to research the article @Ingwe sent me first.

Thanks to all contributors here.

Work In Progress:)
We changed the van!!!!

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I bought this...so our cab Windows can remain open when parked up..looks ok but haven't tried it yet...

Maybe a cheap temporary fix?

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Yes..but I am a bit thick...clearly..hang on a mo..
So sorry I still cannot get it on hear..
Google Velcro fly screen.. it was on a Living Social deal

diverjock

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
sluice00
Hi, trying to restring the fly screen on the van door but cannot find a diagram on where the strings run. I have restrung it but strings are jamming so I have something wrong, Have you got a diagram? Thank you. Mike

diverjock

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
sluice00
Hi, trying to restring the fly screen on the van door but cannot find a diagram on where the strings run. I have restrung it but strings are jamming so I have something wrong, Have you got a diagram? Thank you. Mike

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry, haven’t got a diagram, only the MMM article. Section 4 of that article is the nearest I got to a diagram. Can send the article again of necessary. Sorry i cant be more
helpful.
Hope you get it sorted.

diverjock

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
sluice00
Sorry, haven’t got a diagram, only the MMM article. Section 4 of that article is the nearest I got to a diagram. Can send the article again of necessary. Sorry i cant be more
helpful.
Hope you get it sorted.
Thank you. I have obviously put a cord in wrong but cannot see which one. I will keep playing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back