Fitting out MH for first trip (1 Viewer)

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
We've had our Dethleffs for over a month but have yet to have our first trip. We haven't even fitted it out with the essential bits and pieces - whatever they may be. Any suggestions for basic kit? Kitchen dept, shower room, emergency foods, tools, gadgets etc. We want to set the MH up in such a way that it's always in a ready-to-go state, so we can jump in and take off a short notice. Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Only you can decide what you need, what is essential to some is dead weight to other people.

Have a weekend away nearby and start from there, we are fairly new to motorhoming (three years) but have done over 12,000 miles, we're still learning by seeing what other's do or don't do.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Make sure you a method of filling up with water and cables to attach to hook up, if being used. Then just think through your expected activities, loo, washing up, making tea, cooking, drinking wine etc and make your list from there. But I would suggest putting a decent torch in the van, often useful! Enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
How exciting! What about spending a day and night in it before you go and making a list of all the things you needed but didn’t have ? Shower cap washing up liquid etc ...pen and paper... and an array of spices and sauces you use most often as foreign shops often hide them or don’t stock them. Our best recent purchase was a fold over sandwich toaster ( we often have no hook up. Makes the best toast ever. Have fun!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Most of the things to equip a motorhome are the same as for a house. Bedding, kitchen equipment, lounge items, bathroom items. In addition you'll need a hose and various connectors, electrical cable, tool kit, storage boxes, wifi dongle, outdoor table & chairs. Optional... washing machine, rotary washing line, iron/ironing board (table type).

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Look at what you most commonly use in the house, then halve it, then halve it again and you will still have too much stuff!
Take what you think you need, Chuck most of that out whilst you’re away and buy what you find you can’t do without but haven’t put in!
You will get there in the end. I go thru my stuff in the van every 6 months or so, the amount of stuff I find to chuck out is amazing!
Have fun.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Get out and use it,you’ll soon find out what you need.
Let minimalist be your guide.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
We've only been away a couple of days in ours so far and like they say you soon learn what you need.

Our rookie mistakes were not taking a connector for the tap, had the hose but no tap fitting but luckily borrowed one.

Plus leaving all the cutlery at home and having to eat a pizza and salad with a teaspoon you soon learn not to forget it next time

For us:
Tea and coffee stuff
Cutlery
Hookup and tap fittings
Kitchen and toilet roll
Tie downs for the awning

Travel light as you won't use half of it

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
If you keep the MH at home, have a day and night in the MH on the drive. Pop back to the house for anything you need. :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Why waste my time DABurleigh
I get this off my mum.
She used to put my jean's under the mattress to save ironing them.
Thinking outside the box, before her time ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Go and stay somewhere not far away and near big town so you can go and get all the stuff you forgot , and then pop into a weighbridge on the way home to see if you are taking too much stuff !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Everybody's different on what they need. For example neither swmbo or myself have ever needed or used a shower cap, yet every hotel room I have ever stayed in provides one. If you want to avoid getting wet in the shower take an umbrella or don't turn the water on.
Very good suggestion staying nearby. In my early days I used a cl adjacent to a caravan shop so I coukd just nip across the road for anything missing. Do not take anything from the house except as a temporary measure as the motorhome needs all its own stuff otherwise you have the same problems every time you go away.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Good tip, we used to have a smaller day van and transferring stuff from the house and back for each trip was a pain and usually meant we took ages getting ready to set off and also forgot something. Like the duvet once :( Buy everything you need and leave it in there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Start wit small with basics and build it up as you go. No point in taking loads of stuff you new use, plenty of time to practice that art.

Never leave home without a spare wheel, having had a puncture 1 m off our drive.

Like most we carry a washing machine. :D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We stopped carrying a washing machine as there's always launderettes. We di carry an ironing board and iron as swmbo has a fetish about ironing, never seen the point myself.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If I carried a washing machine, ironing board and similar frivolities I’d need a trailer.

As others say start with a small list of essentials you can add the luxuries later if you have room and a need.

For me it’s bedding loo roll shower gel toothpaste and brush razor various clothing inc nice and foul weather stuff suncream and hat (for my bare bonce) bbq thing mug beer glass and beer coffee and aero press thing plate knife fork frying pan tongs and food

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Watering can(s),haven’t used the hose for ages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back