Fitting a Microwave (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Hi All
I want to fit a microwave oven to one of my kitchen cupboards - the dimensions are ok but getting to a socket will be difficult. In this cupboard I have come across some wires and dont know what they are for and could they be used for a mains supply?
wires.png

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi All
I want to fit a microwave oven to one of my kitchen cupboards - the dimensions are ok but getting to a socket will be difficult. In this cupboard I have come across some wires and dont know what they are for and could they be used for a mains supply?View attachment 539013
Hello, I have a Sunlight, same stable as the Dethleff, I can't recall seeing any grey flex amongst the myriad of wiring on board our bus. White cables are generally mains supply[ 240v]. With the conventional brown + Blue -. Black shrouding is generally 12v ,however, BLUE is now the + and Brown is the -. Orange is also used as a mains feed for the Truma, but fed from a junction box. Have you a volt stick, or multi meter? I wonder if that's a circuit put in by a previous owner, if new to you, but not a new van? It seems to be looping on to another bit of kit,but as said, test it first, starting with the higher 240v mains option on a multi meter.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Even if those wires are mains voltage, the fact that there's no earth wire means it's unsuitable for a microwave oven, which will have exposed metal parts. However I suspect those wires are 12V. You need to check with a meter - remembering to switch to AC mode when checking for 240V AC.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
If you plan to fit a microwave, make sure you have it well vented. I would suggest a cooling or extractor fan system. Remember you may be running it for quite a number of minutes with the associated heat and steam. You can buy a roof mounted "mushroom" vent with a built in fan on line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
Picking up on this thread, I have been considering fitting a microwave into one of the overhead lockers on our Dethleffs Advantage, the point raised by Dramfineday is a good one and possibly explains why one of them does have a vent above it.
we currently use a standard household microwave that we stow securely whilst on the move, however, I am concerned about the weight of it and the ability of the cupboard structure to cope and wondering if Dethleffs ever fitted them as an option( although the presence of the roof vent and the possible explanation for it may be a positive).
I have seen microwaves fitted to the sides of caravans, is there a weight saving to be had on caravan specific units?
has anyone else fitted a micro wave into a wall locker rather than a tower or have you had one fitted as an option?
Power supply is not an issue as there are two existing 240volt sockets below.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Colin

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you may find that's 12v.
You need to be careful with German wires as not always as they seem. I just wired a 12v fan and as mentioned above Brown was negative and blue positive !!

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you may find that's 12v.
You need to be careful with German wires as not always as they seem. I just wired a 12v fan and as mentioned above Brown was negative and blue positive !!
Brown is a sort of convention for DC ground.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Picking up on this thread, I have been considering fitting a microwave into one of the overhead lockers on our Dethleffs Advantage, the point raised by Dramfineday is a good one and possibly explains why one of them does have a vent above it.
we currently use a standard household microwave that we stow securely whilst on the move, however, I am concerned about the weight of it and the ability of the cupboard structure to cope and wondering if Dethleffs ever fitted them as an option( although the presence of the roof vent and the possible explanation for it may be a positive).
I have seen microwaves fitted to the sides of caravans, is there a weight saving to be had on caravan specific units?
has anyone else fitted a micro wave into a wall locker rather than a tower or have you had one fitted as an option?
Power supply is not an issue as there are two existing 240volt sockets below.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Colin
I replaced the oven of a Tech Tower with a microwave. I have a fan blowing into the rear vent from the fridge upper vent. TBH experience so far suggests the fan wasn't strictly necessary.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had one in a roof locker many years ago. Last one was on top of the fridge, present one is in the garage. We don't use a microwave much, usually just if I have fish, swmbo is allergic to it so keeping it well away from her is an advantage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back