Fitting 2nd leisure battery but no wiring loom for it (1 Viewer)

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Newbie but caravanning for years
Just bought Burstner Elegance 686 2005 and the previous owners threw in a new leisure battery they hadn't got round to fitting as a 2nd. I've just lifted the floor pannels and I think I see why. I would have expected that a van with two battery wells would have been wired for twin batteries, and it isn't... I suspect that's why previous owners didn't fit it. It is an identical battery to the original.
The loom looks bog standard, no bodgy connections or extras, no wires wrapped in electrical tape, which is good... Can I just use some cable and just + to + and - to - and Bob's my uncle, it will be charged and used to help extend non-EHU weekends? ...or is that too simplistic?
Thanks,
Kevin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Could I ask, Where were you looking for the leisure battery?

On our Aviano, the van battery is under the passengers feet and the two leisure batteries are half way down the nearside behind a locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
That will work, yes. Better to do it as per the diagram. You should also fuse the positive link close to each battery unless they are really close together.
Screenshot_20210511-212423.png
You may also need to reset your control panel so that it knows your battery capacity but someone who has the same van would know about this better.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when you link a second battery, the charger and monitor see just one bigger battery

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Will the two leisure batteries be very close to each other, or will they be in separate compartments? If they are separated, you'll need to put a fuse at both ends of the positive link wire. If the monitor is the type that tells you the 'Ah' state of charge or percentage charge, there will be a menu setting to tell it the new Ah capacity, otherwise you will get strange results on the gauge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bockhamptoner

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Newbie but caravanning for years
The batteries are in the floor in the centre of the vehicle, they are about 30cm apart. Thank you for the advice I will fuse as mentioned.
Kevin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The batteries are in the floor in the centre of the vehicle, they are about 30cm apart. Thank you for the advice I will fuse as mentioned.
Kevin
No need to fuse if they're that close together unless the link cable passes through a metal bulkhead or divider.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back