First Time In France (or anywhere abroad for that matter) (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Hello,

We are planning our first trip over to France. We intend to go via Euro Tunnel. What I am after is recommendations for 2 camp sites no more than a couple of hours drive from Calais. The thought is two nights at each site and then back to Calais. I have heard that Le Touquet is nice? Sites need to be open in the last week of March.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Stephen

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It can be tad cool and wet in that northern department in late March, but hey ho still worth a visit. Why not aim for a point of interest, Normandy Beaches? Monet's Garden? Then look up campsites close to the attraction. ACSI card would give you campsites and discount in March/April..

Nomadrush

Free Member
Apr 24, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
35 years
When i travel anywhere including france and spain i use search for sites and if you get behind on your schedule its just a quick gander on your phone. They give you a trial period and then you can pay £5 or £6 per year its always worked for us.
Paul and Ruth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Arm yourself with the Campercontact app. Dead easy to use and you get to see camper feedback for most places.

Mick

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I like @Augusta08’s suggestion of having a focus for your trip.

We stayed once in Le Touquet (a hotel) with my parents when we took them over to see my great uncles’ war graves. Even in summer it was cool and wet but a nice town. I would also say it can be a bit seasonal.

A generous couple of hours from Calais could see you in Normandy perhaps following the Seine to Les Andelys, Lyons-la-forêt and Giverney. Or following the Normandy coastline via Honfleur etc.

Whatever you do you will have a lovely time. I would use the apps but maybe look at ACSI before you go and see if you like one of their sites for a couple of days.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Another one to recommend CamperContact, which is very easy to download onto your phone, tablet or PC. It shows Campsites and Aires (special parking places for Motorhomes) and is free. If you can afford about £4 a year you also get photographs and actual reviews of all the sites with maps. There are other apps. and books galore but I would not wish to be without this App.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Camping Sainte Claire at Neufchâtel en Bray, Upper Normandy, can be reached in a couple of hours down the autoroute from Calais. The main site is open from April, but I think the commercial (paid for) aire next door (same ownership) is open all year with all hardstandings for MHs. The campsite offers the ACSI discount.

It is a popular and well organised site in an attractive town. And it is only two or three hundered metres from Lidl, Aldi and a big Leclerc store, which also has cheap fuel.

We often use the campsite as a stopover when heading north or south. It's busy in summer, but we've never failed to get in even though we don't book. Should be quieter off season.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
When i travel anywhere including france and spain i use search for sites and if you get behind on your schedule its just a quick gander on your phone. They give you a trial period and then you can pay £5 or £6 per year its always worked for us.
Paul and Ruth
The APP is £5.99 and you get 3 days free but the website is free although it is certainly worth it as the app can be used off-line

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I wouldnt bother with a campsite at that time of year in that area. IMHO a complete waste of 20 euros (or less) when you can get great stopovers (on Searchforsite, campercontact or park4nite) for free and spend the excess on even more wine.
I would be tempted by Amiens, Arras and Montruiel (Although Arras aire is nothing to write home about there is a nice place to stop at the swimming pool)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I second the vote for Aires not campsites; all of France is lovely lots to explore. All the Aires books are very useful and most have pics of the parking. Have a great time.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Think the advice re Normandy is excellent advice. Pretty villages and of course lots of war stuff to see as well as the sea lol
Not too far to travel either for a first visit .A bit cold at that time of year but with lots of hot soup and heating you will be fine :)

Nomadrush

Free Member
Apr 24, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
35 years
Search for sites are not necessarily campsites its aires and free places to stay

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I use Saint Omer for my first stop 40 miles south east of calais , an aire near the Center of a lovely town with bars and restaurant s , €5 , only downside is there is a railway line next to it , never really bothered us

33BE9C79-FE48-4D7C-B8B5-8190DD8D8DE1.png
D0FD86E4-C88C-4AEC-BB4E-65F6E91445E6.png

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Check the weather the day before you leave and head for the best, we choose in the tunnel. But you can,t go wrong starting at Neufchatel en Bray you have Normandy, Brittany and the Loire in easy reach.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As this is your first trip to France. If you are pursuaded to try Aire stops, which are great ? n the Spring . Please do not be confused with Aire stops on the motorways. These are not recommended to stop over night on. Head off into the small villages and set up at those Aires. If you decide on a particular region in France for your trip. Members on her will recommend a good variety of lovely Aires for you to stop on

Good luck and have fun

Reactions: DBK
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Just a thought. Have you thought of ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo then drive onto Roscoff. Some nice spots around there.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought. Have you thought of ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo then drive onto Roscoff. Some nice spots around there.
Whats the likely cost given he's only going for a few nights!!!!. I was going to suggest going for a bit longer if possible to get a chance to get into motorhoming the French way.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Whats the likely cost given he's only going for a few nights!!!!. I was going to suggest going for a bit longer if possible to get a chance to get into motorhoming the French way.
We live in France and are spoiled by the french facilities. Cost? I don't know. Depends on time of year etc and van details. I have never found any good deals on the tunnel. Always works out much more expensive for me. We completed a two week trip around Brest, Roscoff, St Malo etc. We have an app CamperContact and Search for sites. We have both paid up versions which work out around a fiver a year each. They have all the sites both camping and aires. Aires are stop overs, some free some you have to pay usually around 10€ a night. I must warn you though. Once you have done France you won't be so happy with the UK.

Reactions: DBK

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Just one patronising comment. Put a note on your dashboard to drive on the right. I know from experience it is very easy to leave petrol stations and aires and immediately set off on the left-hand side of the road until you suddenly realise what you've done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back