Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our first was an 1991 AutoTrail Pullman, complete with a big painted Indian war Bonnet as was their logo at the time, I think it must have been around 23 feet long. It was the ideal Motorhome for us back then, it had bunk beds, a centre kitchen front lounge/double and a Luton. We loved that van and would have had it longer than we did, but in a crisis we had to sell it to one of those honest looking guys you see in the backs of Motorhome magazines. "Cash waiting for your Motorhome" It wasn't long before the crisis was over and we bought another, but as we all know, there is nothing quite like your first.:Smile:

What was your First Motorhome, and if you still haven't got it, why did you sell it?

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
My first motor home is a Bessicar E745, I pick it up in 17 days!!!! can't wait...

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My first one was in 1973 and was a CI Transit.

Only young and bought on a whim and first wife not keen. First time out Old English Sheepdog found bottle of tomato sauce by the bins and came back smothered and spread it all around the van.

That was it home and never used again.

Traded it in with a Triumph stag for an E type Jag convertible.

Different wife thing might have been different.

Same sort of thing happened with caravan in 1981 when I came home with a brand new Sprite Major.

She to one look hated it and we never used it (year later sold it to some gypsies) glad that they bought it as while viewing the kids where pulling bits off everywhere (it even had the original film on the furniture)

Wife left soon later. Don't think it was to do with my camping fixation just the realisation she could take a lot of the families hard earned cash.

Had some very hard years then and restarted my life in the motor trade and after a few years thing were good again and found a good wife:man_in_love:who doesn't mind camping:yeah:

Got hooked on boats (moneypits:helptitanic:) till Dad became frial then had various brand new caravans and 4 x 4s but with dogs just no good so bought RV:thumb:

Lifestyle has change agian caring for dad so now my wallet says NO to my whims again:Doh::cry:

Sorry for going way OFF TOPIC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our first it the one we have now. we got in in april this year. 2007 Hymer C 622 CL. It was big when we got it but with 4 of us and the dog it has shrunk!:Doh:

So might change it if we can afford to, would love an RV but too much cash for us at the moment.

Richard...

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi all
Our first was an autohomes highwayman 1987 vintage.
We went to a local m/home show to have a look around but more to meet-up
with so friends who were there for the weekend, we wern't looking to buy as we were off to Corfu the following weekend. Our eye was taken by this rather sorry looking trade-in, so called said friends over and asked them for an honest opinion.
"priced to high get-em to knock 1500off and you've got a bargain"
Then whilst under the bonnet sheree noticed that the paint code was ........Corfu!:whatthe:
Well that did-it for us :thumb:
Once we had her home, we rectified all the faults and didn't look-back.
We traded it-in for our present vehicle as we wanted better mileage (15mpg) and unfortunatley it was a bit unreliable.
Mind-you we had her for two years and got all that we'd spent on her back in
trade-in value. :thumb:

regards...nige

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
First one was a 2006 Bessacarr E435 Picked it up in December 2006 written off in February 2007 after being rear ended on the motorway. I loved that van. Best off it is it never got christened, if you know what I mean.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Our first one was an Autosleeper in which we full timed while we looked for somewhere to live. :Eeek:

We sold our house in Kent near Rye and drove up to South West Scotland to find a new home. Furniture was in store so it only took a few weeks to find our current house. ::bigsmile:

Sold after we bought the house because we wanted a bigger one to tour Europe, so like Diablo we bought a Bessacarr and for two years wintered in Southern Europe :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2004 CI CARIOCA 10. only 1 year old when we bought it but with a visit to spain arranged a few months later i decided i didnt want to sit behind the wheel all day and on a dinette bench all evening so we traded it in for a 1999 kontiki 640 rear lounge. we lost £5k on that in as many months :Eeek: cos we were to impatient to do our homework the first time round.
you learn (very fast) by your mistakes. :Doh:
we're on our 2nd kontiki 640(2001) now and we love it.....

john.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
A 32' Georgie Boy Swinger. Had to trade it in, the missus was too worried that people would think we were advertising! Although it was imported new by Midland we never did find out why all the others were Cruisemasters, couldn't have been the name could it?:ROFLMAO:
P/Xed it for a Monaco Knight and am as happy as a happy thing.

Regards
Doug

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi All

We still have our first motorhome.. Well RV it is a Coachmen Leprachaun and is our first adventure into the world of motorhoming.. never had one before, never had a caravan, never been on a caravanning holiday or anything like that.

We just got the idea into our heads that we could live in an RV all the time so spent 2 years planning, saving, doing up the house for sale, put it on the market and sold it in 3 months.. So we bought the RV in april of 2006 Spent the winter of 2006 in Spain came back to UK in April 2007, staying here this winter, going away somewhere winter 2008....

Would we go back to owning a bricks and mortar house........... are you kidding no way

Sorry gone way off topic..... but just had to let you know how great we are finding our very first motorhome..... wish we had done it years ago instead of sweating to pay the mortgage on our brick prison...

Keith and Debs

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Our first it the one we have now. we got in in april this year. 2007 Hymer C 622 CL. It was big when we got it but with 4 of us and the dog it has shrunk!:Doh:

So might change it if we can afford to, would love an RV but too much cash for us at the moment.

Richard...

:Cool: You must mean to buy an RV NEW? For what you could sell the Hymer for? You could go to the USA. Have a BIG holiday and ship a fairly decent RV back and still have some pocket change. IMH&HO. :winky:

BTW. Our first Motorhome was bought in 1996. It was a 1988 Ford Transit Autohomes Frontier. Did a fair old mileage flying backwards and forwards to Spain. Sold it after we bought our first RV in September 1999.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Our first motorhome was a 1983 CRV Dreamliner on the Fiat Ducato MWB Rust Bucket. :Eeek:

I did an emergency stop once and it almost derusted itself. It had the aerodynamics of a brick and we once got 22mph (2 litre petrol) with a 80mph tail wind. It had a fantastic layout but the Fiat just rusted away. :Sad:

This was the beast taken in Spain in 1985. :thumb:

CRV1.jpg

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back